Dark Spots on Skin in Spine area

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilac123, Sep 6, 2005.

1. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Hi All,

I have degenerative disc, FM, CFS, Osteoarthritis, etc., etc., etc.,

I noticed in the mirror some black/bluish marks on my skin right on my spinal area that hurts the worst in my lower back. I showed the rhuemy the other day and he didn't seem concerned but it just seems weird. Almost looks like a bunch of tiny bruises or vericose veins. (??????????) Doesn't hurt to the touch any more than usual just dark coloring. It is not in a spot where I would have bruised it and been there too long to be that.

I wondered if anyone else has seen anything like this? I am so sick of this pain. I love gardening and that position is the worst for me. I have even tried laying down to work in the garden.

Also I am considering cortisone injections in my back/hip area when I get my disability. Just can't afford it yet as insurance won't cover. (deductable) Any experiences with injections would be welcome too.

Thanks and Good Day to All!
    Lil
  2. PepperGirl52

PepperGirl52 New Member

I can't imagine what your spots are about, either. Possibly broken surface vessels? I don't know, and it would be off base for me to guess. If they don't hurt and they aren't bothersome, I suppose it isn't something you should put high on your priority list for now.

At least your doc knows about it, and doesn't seem to be too worried, right??

As for the cortisone injections, I have had several of the series of epidural injections. The first series helped-it knocked out the inflammation and helped break up some scar tissue that had formed due to a prior surgery.

When I had them several years later, they didn't do anything at all for me. So, I think it really depends on how far gone the degeneration in your spine is.

One thing you need to make sure of, is that your doc uses fluroscopy when he does them. That way he/she can see exactly where they are and where they are injecting the steroids. That is something you definitely want for the injection to be successful. Good luck! PG
  3. snowqueenuk

snowqueenuk New Member

Hi There

That is so weird! I have exactly the same as you and I can't find any reason for it either. I have a few small bluish-black marks at the base of my spine and what looks like a thumb print size bruise on my buttock. They have been there for weeks now and don't appear to be going. I was wondering if they were some kind of varicose veins, but that seems a strange place to get them doesn't it?

Lots of love

Helen x
  4. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Thanks for answering. I too am thinking they must be some kind of blood vessels. Just seems strange that spot is where most of my lower back pain is. I will just keep an eye on it. Thanks for the info!

Happy Day!
    Lil
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

This is the first time you've noticed these marks? I'm just curious because my husband has had a bluish patch on his upper back right under the shoulder blade ever since I've known him (18 1/2 years). He is of Spanish descent.
  6. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

I just noticed them about a month ago. It is something new. They weren't there before. Very Strange.