Dark Tomatoes??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by pasara, Aug 1, 2008.

1. pasara

pasara New Member

I grow tomatoes in containers. The fruit of one of my plants is dark, purplish, and squishy/poofy. It also has some striping. Anyone know what is going on? When I look up tomato problems on the web I do not see anything that looks like this. Another clue is that the leaves for a while had a purplish tint, which I think is associated with phosphorous deficiency, but nothing has mentioned the fruit. Anybody know what to do to remedy?
  2. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Is it possible that this was a plant from an heirloom variety seed that got mixed into the packet by mistake? Or that the plant got mislabeled at the nursery?

Try cutting one of the fruits and see if it looks normal inside. That might give you a better idea if this is a diseased plant or just an unusual one.

Best wishes,
  3. pasara

pasara New Member

Thanks for the positive thinking, but unfortunately, no, it is not an heirloom variety, it is definitely a disease. It is I think some sort of nutritional deficiency, just not sure what. The fruit is very squishy and strangely texture. There are stripes on it too.
    Ironically, past years I planted all heirlooms. This year more basic varieties. The heirlooms seem to do better in the pots.
    Thanks for the reply.
  4. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

is interesting to me as I am having the same observations with heirloom vs. "regulars" (Early Girl). I've planted both kind in pots on my little sunny patio and am surprised that the heirloom is doing much better than the GIRL.

I consider having access to home-grown tomatoes a MUST luxury in the summer, but I've never had much luck with them in pots (and these days I ONLY have a small but sunny patio). I was inspired by seeing some my dad grew on HIS patio a couple years ago. He had a potted Early Girl and it grew HUGE, branches were tied to railing and tomatoes were nice normal size...flavor not as exquisitie as heirloom, but still excellent. That's why I planted EG for my own patio plants. But mine has only produced fruit that turns red when still marble-sized, and it seems to be all tough skin. I'm thinking that one problem with potted tomatoes is that maybe the roots get too hot in a pot. My patio is VERY sunny and hot and my dad's was in partial shade...I would not have predicted that he'd have good luck with tomatoes with all the shade, but he did.

Meanwhile my delicate heirlooms are looking much better and fruit is nearing normal size. Now, when THOSE turn red...I'll be real happy.
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Sorry to hear of the plant loss!,,,,,,,I took a chance on an heirloom plant also this year in a big white pot on the east side of the apartment where the most sun is,,,,,,(Mr. Stripey) is the name of the tomatoe,,,,,,,surpringly it's doing very well ,,,,,It's got about 11 golf ball size tomatoes on it! can't wait to see the end result!,,,,,,,Sis
  6. pasara

pasara New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    The plants are hanging in there. I put some bat guano fertilizer on them to see if it balanced the nutrients. I usually don't add any type of fertilizer, but this time thought I'd give it a shot. Well, I totally shocked the poor things! They looked very sad for a while, so I just talked sweetly to them, apologized and brought some chicken soup, figuratively speaking, and they seem to be coming around. I'm trying to give a lot of TLC without DOING too much (since doing seems to make matters worse.)

Sleepy and Sisland- I have grown tomatoes in pots for a few years now, and always get quite a lot. For me too I notice mine quite frequently have thicker skins that what you would find in the stores, but they taste oh so much better! Next year I will use bigger pots. The plants I have in big pots are doing really well. As the pot size goes down, so does the vibrancy of the plant. I also have some in terra cotta and some in plastic terra cotta looking pots. Hate to say it, but the plastic seems to hold the moisture better and those plants are healthier. BUT, they are also the larger pots, so... I think wooden half-barrels would be best if you have them.

BTW, yesterday I did some canning. I made pickles, pickled beets, and blueberry jam. I don't know how I got so much done, but I did! It is actually surprisingly easy to do this. Today is my rest day. Though do need to go out and water my babies.
  7. monica33flowers

monica33flowers New Member

Maybe next year when you plant your tomatoes try buying one of those big round rubber containers that have handles that you use for kids toys. They are so much cheaper than a bigger pot and I think you will find if the tomato has a little more room to groove in the pot you might have nicer tomatoes. Just a thought.