darvocet FDA pulled it Now what do I take????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Nov 19, 2010.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

Yesterday I was hurting so bad and take the generic. Took one fourth of a pill takes enough of the pain away to be able to sit in a chair without going crazy. Cannot take a lot of stuff so what am I going to replace it with???? very worried
  2. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I share your worry. I have CFS. I have taken between a fourth and a half of Darvocet for my aching for decades. It and Xanax are the only two drugs I can tolerate and that actually help without any problems. I take these on a daily basis and am very concerned.

I just went for my six month rheumatologist appointment on Thursday and got a new prescription for both drugs and last night...POW! I'm listening to the national news and that great announcement came on about the drug being pulled.

I am going to call the pharmacy today and ask them when the action takes effect and what they suggest. Then, Monday, I am going to call the Rheumatologist and ask them what they can substitute that I can tolerate which may be a hard thing to find.....maybe Tylenol 3?

I found that Darvocet made the difference some days between doing nothing and being able to function at all. It seemed to give me a small energy boost as well as helping with the pain. This is most upsetting to me.

Please post and let us know what happens in your situation.

3. hensue

hensue New Member

It has been reported it causes heart arythmia. Well suicide or heart prob what to do????

Not that I plan on suicide you understand but we all have to manage this pain.
  4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

I take the generic, too.

I have taken Darvocet for 25 years and I have no heart problems related to it that I know of. Have had an echocardiogram and see doctors frequently enough and they listen to my heart and I haven't noticed anything. I am 63.

I feel like this is just another "brick in the wall" for a lot of us trying to deal the best we can with CFS and Fibro.

I have tried taking an Advil and the effect is not the same and in a couple days my stomach is affected adversely. I am allergic to aspirin. And I take the Darvocet in such small doses...

I truly like your comment, jam, about the effects of alcohol and tobacco on hearts. This whole thing is nuts.

5. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Just to add to what Jamin said...I called about my prescription being filled at CVS today and found it was a no go......so.........I'll ask the doctor about Fiorecet or Tylenol 3 and see where we go from there.

The pharmacist said they expect lots of patient calls to doctors on Monday and lots of calls to the pharmacy.
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I thought Tylenol3 or some other medicine containing Tylenol was pulled off the market because you shouldn't take Tylenol for over ten days as it is very harmful to the liver.

Hope people find something that helps.

Darvocet doesn't even touch my FM pain but Tramadol works. I know people who find that Tramadol does not work for them.

What's strange is that the Tramadol works on the "deep achy pain" of my FM but if I have a headache it doesn't help. Go figure.

Yes, we are "pill popping" nation with the mindset that if something is wrong there has to be a pill out there that will help. If that pill isn't a prescription, well try vitamins/supplement as we believe that magic pill is out there. So, take a vitamin/supplement and if the bottle says take one, take two, can't hurt since it is natural.

I am not saying that some medications/vitamins aren't called for. I am on a lot of medications but it makes me functional. Unfortunately, there are conditions where there aren't any medications that will help all the symptoms we have but we still go on with that eternal quest for the magic bullet.[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2010]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had to edit my post for spelling and I added a few more thoughts. Looks like you posted at the same time. :>)

How is the mind set of taking a lot of supplements/vitamins any different than doing the same thing with prescriptions?

I'm talking about ones that may not be necessary but we ask for them or take them anyway without doing our homework.

Food for thought.

[This Message was Edited on 11/20/2010]
  8. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What you said Jammin is right about Darvocet almost being an OTC med. I have a friend who's a pharmacist and she's been saying that for a couple of years. It's VERY mild.

Can you take codeine? If so, Tylenol 3 may be an option for you. It's not very strong either, but it doesn't sound like it takes much to give you some relief.

Depending on the dose you take of the Darvocet, maybe there is something else that even if it comes in a higher dose that you can split.

As mentioned, Tramadol is something that many with Fibro take. My little dog takes Tramadol.

Tylenol is safe unless you take over a certain daily limit. 4000 (of whatever the measurement is) Vicodin, oxycodone etc. all have Tylenol, that's why you're limited to 'x' amount per day. It's the Tylenol. I take a Oxycodone that has no Tylenol and there is basically no limit to how many I can take per day (except for what my Dr. prescribes) The Tylenol is the "dangerous" part of the med. With the amount of what you need, you'd be way under any danger zone.

I'd just talk to your Dr. He/She will be able to help you.
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Your dog takes it?? What a hoot. I didn't know animals could take it. Hope it is helping.

I know the fact that the recall is for safety and if on it, would abide by that, but it does put people between a rock and a hard place, doesn't it? You would think that it would have been announced that the FDA was looking into this. Was it and I missed it?

It just happened so quickly.

I would think there would be something out there that people could take. Well, at least I hope!!

10. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

It was mentioned that fioricet was a suggestion for a replacement for darvocet......that jogged my memory and i took fiorinal and then fioricet for my migraines....they are old drugs...

they didn't help my headaches much.....but they made me feel more energy and at the time, i was in the early stages of FM and didn't realize it....my nurse prac thought i had it 5 yrs before I got really sick and had to address it....good job calling that one!

anyways, i think that the fiorianal had tylenol in it.....and they switched my to fioricet....something like that...look it up...anyways, they both bothered my stomach....gave me the runs sometimes.....

but, they both were pretty mild compared to percocet....at least when i first started on percocet....1 percocet put me on the moon.....and then real soon, i would take one and not be sure, later if i had taken it becasue I didn't feel woozy or anything....just a slight edge off my pain....i don't know why i am telling you all this....i can't stay on topic to save my life!

i am really sorry to all of you who are losing your darvocet! i pray that my meds don't get pulled....that is really crappy....i hope you all find a good replacement!!!
  11. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

.....has tylenol and caffeine as well as a barbituate, for those who were wondering

darvocet has a very tiny window of effectiveness - though it is relatively mild in normal doses, a lot of people find that it doesn't help so they take more & it only takes a little too much to cause the heart issues...the mildness of the proper does is the reason they considered making it OTC and the heart problems from taking a little too much is the reason they pulled it

I rarely take meds and have been on LDN so I can't take any opiates rt now; however, I have had enough problems with LDN I have pretty nearly cut it all together, and back when I did try different meds, darvocet and tylenol 3 were the only ones I could tolerate, so I am not thrilled with this decision either
  12. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

EVery time I read the side effects of a med, I find that 90% of they have the same side effects. Nausea, vomitng , dirareaha, constapation, slow heart beat, too fast heart beat. You name it they have the same side effects. What does this mean? Are they the same in some way? I have been on DArvon and darvocet as well but I had not heard of it not being made any more. I feel bad that you are being cut off the medication that has helped you all for so long. I hope that you find some thing that will help you and not cause you more problems.
  13. lisadot

lisadot New Member

Pink and/or orange Darvocette tabs...they go way back. I'm a research nurse, so I'm always shaking my head when a finding like this is released some 30 years later. It has to be at least 30 years this medication has been on the market. I guess back then they didn't do enough ECGs to see what what the effects might be on the heart.

Anyhow, Tramadol may be an alternative, and I've used it. It never made me sick to my stomach as Vicodin dose, and it's not a opioid medication. I wish there was some kind of Star Trek device to roll over our bodies and be cured of the pain. HA!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2010]
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A good reminder about the proper disposal of medications. My pharmacy has a slot type bin where you pay for your medications and you can dispose your old medications there.

15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I am also confused about the sudden recall. You would think doctors would have known about it. But maybe expediency was in order?

ETA Yes Ultram is the same as Tramadol which is the generic form. I wonder if the Tramadol didn't work for you as you have other pain conditions such as your back and joints.

I believe Ultraset is the time released version, someone correct me if I am wrong but it is very difficult to get covered by your insurance as studies have shown that it is just as effective as the regular Tramadol. But the reason I wanted it is because I sometimes forget if I have taken it or not and I usually have to take a morning dose. I now have a clipboard with the medication so I can write down if I have taken it.

The Tramadol works for the achiness I get with the FM but not if I take it for other pain issues.

Interesting that the Aspirin doesn't bother your stomach. It sure does mine but the T doesn't. We all react differently.[This Message was Edited on 11/23/2010]
  16. plance116

plance116 New Member

I've got CFS and have been taking Darvon for 14 years, and it is the only med that makes me feel just normal. I can only do my budget or fill out my pill minder after I've taken my Darvon. Now that they've removed Darvon, I, too, am panicked. I won't be able to live as an independent adult anymore. My doctor suggested Cymbalta, but that just makes my CFS symptoms worse. I have a temporary prescription for hydrocodone, but I'm really worried about addiction. What was FDA thinking? And why didn't they give us advance warning? I've read they have been thinking about banning it since 2009. We could have had a year to transition over, but no, they just cut us off cold turkey! What about the withdrawal that many of us might go through who have been the medication for years? I hope ALL the regulators in the FDA get a chronic painful illness so they can understand what it's like. I felt normal and could function on Darvon, but cannot even think or write email without it.

The FDA says alcohol and tobacco are okay, but Darvon isn't? Are they nuts?
    [This Message was Edited on 11/26/2010]
  17. rockinmama

rockinmama New Member

The doctors office call me on Tues while my Doc was off and they said not to take the darvocet. They would take to her when she came in the next day. She changed my pain med to Lortab every 4-6 hrs. Now if I could just get to CVS to pick it up. Until I can get the Lortab I'm gonna take my darvocet sparingly.
    Good luck with your meds. I hope you have a Doc that will listen to you!
    Meanwhile, lots of gentle hugs,
  18. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

Hi, I haven't been around in a while but been through several other medical issues
    and hospital stays this year and have just gotten to somewhat of a normalcy for
    whatever that is for fibro. smile

I have been taking the darvocet (generic ) for about a year now , not daily only as needed. I do take the tramadol daily. Anyway I'm behind on the news but I was very upset
    to see them pulling the darvocet from the market. I had finally found something that
    works for my flare ups.

I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow and see what he suggests for a replacement.
    I can't take anything with aspirin so will have to see what he suggests. I'm going
    to do some research too and see what I find.
    Codiene and demoral have hurt my stomach in the past so not wanting to try those
    again either which I don't think leaves much, sigh.

I'm frustrated that this is being pulled from the market , as it has been a huge help
    with my fibro pain when my pain is at its worse it helps me to function for my family.

Jaminhealth ~ hope you continue to heal from your hip surgery.

So glad I found this site again. Will let you know what I end up with.
    Very gentle hugs for each of you.
  19. Doober

Doober New Member

that here we have a medication that has been on the market and used for many many many years. All of a sudden it is bad and needed to be pulled immediately.

The sad thing is that it helped millions with no issue. Suddenly they see the "possibility" of causing heart problems, which it has for maybe a few hundred or maybe a few thousand?

But overall, the numbers affected do not make a dent in the numbers it has helped. It is like cancelling recess for all the kids because a few kids mis-behaved?

I mean really, if they were SO CONCERNED with things that are hurtful, Pull all Alchohol, Cigarettes, do not make cars that go faster than 60 miles per hour, Hey while we are at it, we should coat all metal poles with plastic so kids do not get their tongues stuck on them in the winter....

The governments can justify and accept a hundred thousands civilian casualties of war simply as "collateral" damage and be ok with it, They should be ok with up to the 5% of the population having adversed reactions to some meds?

We all have variances in our genetic makeup, they are not going to make things that work for EVERYONE......

20. Pansygirl

Pansygirl New Member

After several phone calls today to my dr's nurse , he called in a prescription
    for hydrocodone which is the generic I believe of lortab and vicodin.

I have about 30 of the darvocet left and I honestly at this time think I will
    hold onto them. I have never felt any adverse symptoms taking it , unlike some
    other drugs.

I too have wondered if pulling the darvocet might be political in some way.
    I still think that if the people making these decisions had to walk in our
    shoes just one day with our pain that they might make different decisions.

Hoping for less pain for all of us.
    gentle hugs, Pansy