Darvocet for pain?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Pinky, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Pinky

Pinky New Member

My neurologist has suggested i stop taking Ultram for the FM pain due to it lowering the seizure threshold. i was doing Ok on Ultram, no seizures and pain was alot better than i am experiencing now that my rheumy has put me on darvocet. My seizure med. has been changed to keppra and i am finally adjusting to that change but the darvocet doesn't seem to be helping me at all, at least not as good as Ultram. Anyone taking Darvocet for pain?Does it help? Any side effects? What about anyone taking Ultram and/or Ultracet for pain, any problems with seizures? Does it help with apin? Which is better- Ultram/Ultracet?
    Thanx
    Debbie
  2. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I am just doing research on pain meds now cause I am having trouble with codeine and now percoset.

My research showed that Darvon is the very weakest [of the opiods?] so if darvocet is darvon plus acetominophen, you might be taking a very weak medication. Because it is so weak, you might be able to up your dose.

Maybe do an internet search.

Actually I just went back to the site I was at for you. Here's the info [sounds like you can take more darvon if you need to and your doc agrees]:

"Darvon is the weakest drug in this class of medication. It comes in several forms. Darvon comes in a plain form with 65 mg of Propoxyphene hydrochloride (this is equal to 100 mg of propoxyphene napsylate) and as a compound (Darvon Compound-65) combined with 389 mg of ASA and 32 mg of caffeine. Darvon-N has 100 mg of propoxyphene napsylate, Darvon-N 50 has 50 mg of propoxyphene napsylate with 325 mg of acetaminophen, Darvocet-N 100 has mg of propoxyphene napsylate with 650 mg of acetaminophen. The drug has a rapid onset of action (less than 30 minutes) and will last hours.

The dose Darvon, Darvon Compound, Darvocet-N 100, or Darvocet-N (all of these have about the same effective amount of propoxyphene) is from 1 to 8 tablets per day taken on an as needed basis of 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours. The average daily dose for patients with significant RLS is about 3-4 tablets per day. The choice of the various forms of Darvon will depend on trial and error and intolerance of the additives (for example patients with ASA/aspirin intolerance should not take the Darvon Compound). For regular daily usage, the compound with Tylenol or ASA are best avoided to lessen the chance of side effects from a second drug."

3. suz41

suz41 New Member

Debbie:

A bit of info for you, Darvocet is a one of the milder form of Narcotic analgesics, is can help the pain. However, you need to be aware that it does have addictive properties. It can alsso make you feel sluggish and tired, and no you cannot drink any alcohol with it this will magnify the efffects. Your neurolgist may have taken uou off Ultracet if you have a seizure disorder because it is somewhat related to the SSRIs and antidepressants, which do lower the seizure threshold. If your starting on Darvocet ask for the lowest dosage possible to mange the pain due the the side effects many opioids can produce. LOL

Suzanne
  4. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Just one more quick note, and I wish I could quote the actual issue, but I have read in the Fibromyalgia Network's newsletter that Darvon & Darvocet are the cause of more overdoses seen in ERs than any other pain medication----and it is due to the fact that they offer so little pain relief, that people will take double or triple the dosage in an effort to try to feel better---and as little as that can cause an overdose. Again, I don't have the exact quote but a leading FM physician in this article said, in essence, Darvon & Darvocet are medications that should be retired & no longer prescribed, with all the newer, more effective pain medicines there are now.

Hope this helps----and that you feel better!

Hugs,
    Pam
  5. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

at that time, and even before, I was put on darvocet. It didn't help at all. Vicoden helped my pain and I still take ultram regularly.

Lisa
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2003]
  6. jlong

jlong New Member

I have been taking this med for years, but only take it at night so that I can fall asleep, or once in awhile if I have to do some extraordinary exsertion. My dr won't let me take more than x2 doses in 24 hours. I take other meds during the day.

As stated it is addictive and I am verrrry careful with this med.

Hope this info helps.

Judy
  7. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    Here's my experience. I have taken Darvacet on and off for 5 years. I now have Darvacet 100/650.
    I take one or 2 and it does take the edge off a bit, though it used to do more. I always take it with Ativan or I used to take it with Xanax. It was the only way I could stand the way it made me feel-edgy,& grouchy, plus it made the pain less.
    I have also mixed them with Klonipin, & soma and have even had a drink with them at times. (In fact last night as it was my birthday).
    Oh and I take Nuerontin 3 times a day. So, I don't think it is as scarey as it sounds.
    As far as Ultram or Ultracet-they both did much more for my pain. Much more. But I had to stop taking it due to the tension, anxiety it caused. I believe that was from the SSRI componant to it, as it happens every time with me.
    First week or so was fine but as it built up in my system the tension got worse until my shoulders were like cinderblocks and my neck HURT!
    I don't have seizures so I can't comment on that part of it.
    I hope you get some relief.
    My doctors know I take it with Ativan or Klonipin and even when I asked they told me I could.
    Oh ya, the only other side effect is that I get a pain between my upper and lower intestine-where they meet. It can be pretty uncomfortable. I had it checked out-can't remember the name of the test-drank stuff and had a MRI? And nothing showed up.
    Take Care,
    Ziggy
    [This Message was Edited on 07/08/2003]