Darvocet is going off market?? it takes the edge off what to do!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Feb 24, 2009.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

I cannot take advil it hurts my kidneys and doesnt help, i take ultram it doesnt help, the darvocet helps sometimes just so I can relax if i am hurting really bad. I am allergic to codeine and demerol. So I am freaking out what am I going to be able to take.
    Vicodin i took for a root canal and it knocks me out.
    Help does anybody have any suggestions
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

What does of Vicodin were you taking? Maybe you can take 1/2? The first time I took it, I had to lay down cause I felt 'car sick' if you will and just had to sleep it off. Now different story..

You may have to just experiment. For instance, percocet is stronger than Vicodin but many people get better pain relief from Vicodin. You may do better with a very low dose of Percocet. Point being, one never knows - you may not have the same reaction to a different med.
    I'm sure your Doctor will have some suggestions and be able to help you. Don't panic.
  3. munch1958

munch1958 Member

There are far more effective pain meds out there. Darvon was shown to be less effective than a placebo in several studies.

A panel has found that the meds carry a risk of death from cardiac problems due to the active ingredient propoxyphene. They also can cause death when used in combination with alcohol or other drugs.

I'm allergic to morphine and Ibuprofen but can take Opana ER, Vicodin and Dilaudid. It was all trial and error to find one that helped me. Possibly your doctor will be willing to try different meds in an effort to find one that helps your pain. It sure is a pain in the neck to have to switchs meds tho.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I did get a script for it filled a couple of weeks ago, though, and my Dr never said anything, nor did the pharmacy, about it being recalled....there are almost no meds that I can take, and darvocet isn't that great, but it does help a little and I don't get the awful side effects from it that I do from most others....Flexeril is about the only other one I can tolerate, but I can only take part of one once in awhile, or it seems to build up in my system and make me way more tired (& it only helps with the bad muscle knots...not other kinds of pain)...also, Medicare only covers certain meds, and aside from Darvocet and FLexeril, there aren't really any others that are covered that I can take...so unfortunately I don't have any solutions for you, but I do totally understand
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

do u know if in the vicodin there is anything else such as ibuprofen or tylenol etc?

I think darv may not go off market, may be a bunch of show from the activist group behind it and then die down like in 79. who knows the way things are going in this country with anything.
  6. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

It does have acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it along with hydrocodone.
  7. hensue

hensue New Member

goat woman what did you say about vicodin? you take 5 milligram or what i am ignorant when it comes to pain meds. Everything I take I am allergic.
    cannot take advil, demerol, codeine, morphine i itch to death in about 10 minutes.
    had this after an operation so it scares me. plus dont these pills hurt your stomach?
    Even the darvocet hurts my stomach some days but believe me if I could take them I would
    anything to keep the pain away.
  8. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

strengths of the pain reliver--for example the losest dose for vicodin is 5/325 or 5/500--the 325 or 500 is the amount of tyenol in it. Normally I take the 5/325 but for some dental work the dentist gave me 10/500--they definately worked better. --but made me itch a little--but the amount of pain I was in I dealed with the itch.

The 5/325 haven't been helping me that much that past 6 mths so the next time I go into the dr I'm going to ask for the next step up which I believe is 7.5/325.
  9. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I've found that if I take a med that has a lower dose of Tylenol (325mgs) taking a Tylenol with it makes it much more effective. My Mom was just given Tramadol for another reason and her doctor told her to take Tylenol with it -it will work much better.

Of course, watch your Tylenol limits for the day.
    Some itching can be deemed as normal for many people. Of course, if it's making you crazy and you're ripping your skin off- not good.

I'm on a med right now that does not have Tylenol in it and it does not seem as effective, so I just added Percocet 7.5/500 to take w/it. It's funny what makes a difference.

Re: Darvocet - I have a friend who's the manager of a pharmacy- a while ago she said something about Darvocet should be reclassified - it should not be a controlled substance because it's barely stronger than Tylenol. If you get any relief from it - you're very fortunate!
  10. hensue

hensue New Member

So it has help doesnt alleviate pain just enough sometime to calm me and it down to get so i will not jump in a river literally.
  11. simonedb

simonedb Member

yes I have had pharmacists tell me it doesnt work either
    funny, cus it does for me
    and it works fine without the tylenol
    I have already had my lifetime exposure to tylenol, i will take no more, ihave seen studies saying acute o.d. isnt the only problem with it, there is also a cumulative effect, i forget how many you had to have taken inyour lifetime but i had already surpassed the amount in the study so i requested to my doc not to have it anymore in my meds

i think that is myth pharmacists have been brainwashed with, part of the movement to get rid of darvon, that it isnt anymore effective for pain than aspirin or something, but for my neck pain,stenosis and degenerative joint disease, osteophyte etc it helps a lot better in a flare than anything else i have tried over the years
    maybe the key is how high of a tolerance you have to alcohol and drugs, i never could drink a lot, so maybe the people that can slam 10 beers need a bunch of oxycontin or something when they have pain
    but tolerance can't explain all of it, because if someone needs a strong opiate for pain i doubt they would feel any relief from an aspirin or tylenol too so i dont know where that comparison comes from. darvon is good for m.e. fm people in that it doesnt mess with p450 system as much as many of the other meds do like lyrica cymbalta neurtonin etc
    but i do think its important to consider whether there is any risk to our hearts in taking darvon. i am going to find more info on that as i do have heart issues with my cfs of low cardiac output.