Darvocet to Vicodin fibro?? dr called it in? generic or name???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hensue, Dec 2, 2010.

1. hensue

hensue New Member

does it work for you? what should I expect I thought I took it one time for a root canal and it knocked me out.

I want something that helps but I can function. Will this help I hope.
  2. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Hey, hensue. I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but I'm having a heck of a time with this Darvocet replacement thing.

I have taken Darvocet for decades without problems and now, not only are my body and mind trying to get used to the fact that I'm not taking it but finding a replacement is driving me to the edge.

Last week the doctor tried Tylenol 3 which has codeine. Can't handle it, even cutting the pill in half or quarters. Makes me very jumpy, mind races, queasy stomach, and so sleepy I can't stand up. So, then we went to Ultram ( Tramadol). Nausea. have only taken half a pill and am not impressed. This is not fun and since I've been sick 14 years and had come to rely on the Darvocet some days just to get out of bed and function I am totally disgusted.

I wish you so much luck. Post and keep us informed as to your journey with this problem.

3. simonedb

simonedb Member

sue, try taking half a vicodan, is it the type with tylenol? a half one should be ok, its pretty similar to darvon I thought 9 years ago when i tried it but it did make me slightly grumpy over time, thats what worries me, plus I dont want to take tylenol or advil everyday in it!

and harrys mom, why don't you try vicodan, like I said its the closest thing to darvocet. won't yr doc go for it? tramadol imho can mess with cfs/me brain chemistry, the first few days I tried it I really thought it worked well, but then the antidep component started doing all the goofy stuff to my brain that ssris etc do messed up my sleep and mood made me a zombie, was not a good one for me. I don't want to scare you but it took me weeks to get over it after I went off it after just week and half. Of course I am the princess and pea with my mcs so most people may not have as bad of luck as I......
  4. harrysmom

harrysmom Member

Thanks for the input, simonedb. I can tolerate NOTHING in regular doses so you're not alone. The doctors think I'm nuts. sometimes I think I'm nuts.

I feel like right now I'm just toughing this whole thing out....having to change after all these years and having no replacement is playing havoc with me. More than likely I'll be on the phone to the rheumatologist again within a week or so and I'll tell them about the problem with the Ultram and they'll either try something else without questioning me or tell me to come in and talk to the doctor who will, of course, make me feel like I'm the one who is crazy.

Almost everything I take other than Xanax and the Darvocet make my brain feel like it's going crazy. When I first got sick the doctor tried Prosac, and a couple other antidepressants and I thought I was going to go crazy.....those things mess me up so bad. I took half an Ultram last night and I'm still trying to settle down. Why is nothing simple for us???

Thanks again.
  5. simonedb

simonedb Member

I am exactly in same boat, we sound quite a bit alike......
    yea I don't like how they act like we're weird, and unfortunately, the meds that work for you are the ones some people abuse so the system is skeptical about handing them out.....my luck getting an illness that only responds to the most guarded meds
  6. simonedb

simonedb Member

I havent run out yet but am cutting back while experimenting with amantadine

see if your doc would prescribe liquid amantadine and just start out with like .25 ml 2x a day and if it makes ya tired do it in eve only or if awake in morn
    It does some of same stuff as yr other meds, NMDA inhibitor I think, its also an antiviral but its been around forever and pretty safe and I havent had any awful side fx yet on this low dose, it might help you with pain and energy....this low dose doesnt have same pain helping props as the darv but i am hoping once i increase it perhaps or could at least cut back on whatever i get prescribed to replace the D
  7. hensue

hensue New Member

I did not go and pick the vicodin up today and my doc said it is the med that has the tylenol in it. I am like everyone else everything makes me sick or hurt more.

What I want to know is how do people get hooked on pain medicine??? I am serious does it make them feel good? Are we so different those of us with fibro??

simonedb do you take darvocet or vicodin? Or you took vicodin? I am going to start out with a very small amount a fourth of pill or half.

Why dont they leave us alone if there not going to cure us.

8. simonedb

simonedb Member

I have been using the darvon for long time with real good results