Dateline Los Angeles: Dr. Bhakta's talk and visit with "Patient X"

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by richvank, Sep 12, 2009.

1. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, all.

I'm in the Los Angeles area at the moment. I came down to hear a talk today by Dr. Chitra Bhakta, M.D., and to meet "Patient X." I enjoyed both a great deal.

I've received some requests in the past for names of doctors in the L.A. area who are up-to-speed on the methylation treatment. I'm happy to report that Dr. Bhakta definitely is, so she might be a possibility to consider for those in this area who are interested in that type of treatment. She told me that it is O.K. with her to mention her name on the internet.

As you might guess from her name, she comes from India. She went to med school there, but did her residency at the L.A. County hospital. She has also interned with Dr. Charles Ray Jones, who is probably the leading pediatrician treating Lyme disease, and who has been involved in a long battle with the medical board in Connecticut. (Dr. Jones is 82 years old, and is quite beloved by his patients and their families, who have donated to support his legal battle.) Dr. Bhakta is the director of the Orange County Integrative Medical Center in Tustin, CA.

Dr. Bhakta is experienced with treating autism using the DAN! approach, and is also knowledgeable about the ILADS approach to Lyme disease. She has combined these in her treatment of autistic children, having attended the Lyme-Induced Autism conference, and having found that those of her autism patients who had not been recovering were all positive for Lyme disease or coinfections.

Dr. Bhakta has gone on to study the Glutathione Depletion--Methylation Cycle Block hypothesis, which she found on the internet, and has found that it pulls together a wide range of aspects of CFS, which she also treats. I was delighted to find out that she understands the hypothesis almost better than I do, and I wrote it!

Her treatment philosophy for these disorders is that several aspects must be treated to achieve recovery. She will use antibiotics if necessary, but prefers to use other treatments initially, in order to build the patient's body up, so that the antibiotics will not knock them for a loop. She starts her treatment with the gut, using three tests: food allergies, stool analysis, and urine organic acids. First appointments last about two and a half hours. She tries to find out about all aspects of the person's case and to deal with them together in treatment. I will try to put together a synopsis of her talk later on.

I'm also happy to report that "Patient X" and I spent some quality time together at Starbucks this morning, and that he is alive and kicking, looking robust and muscular, a far cry from his perilous condition less than a year ago. It was great to meet him in person, after having communicated by email for such a long time, through such a difficult period in his life. It gave me a big boost to see him recovered to the degree he is now.

Best regards,

2. frickly

frickly New Member

This is good news and I am looking forward to seeing improvements in the people currently under Patient x's doctors care. I am not in California but it is always encouraging to learn of another doctor that is putting the pieces together and helping patients. It sounds like Dr. Bhakta is on the right track and I hope that many others will follow suit.

Take care,
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Thanks so much for this post! I live about 106 miles from Tustin - rather far but not undoable, definitely something I will think about.

Thanks again for everything!

Best wishes,

4. dannybex

dannybex Member

Thanks Rich for posting and for all your hard work. Sounds like the doc is definitely pulling all the hypotheses together, and nice to hear she uses a holistic approach to treat the whole person, rather than just looking at individual symptoms.

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

.... Thank you, Rich, for being our eyes and ears - and brain!

PH doesn't have the urine test in yet, by the way, but I hope to get it when they do.

My best to you,