Daughter has Mono

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Christinawensell, May 16, 2006.

1. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

We'll I am going to try to be back for a while. It has been a very long time. My life gets so hetic sometimes. I wish i could catch up.

We'll as I put in the subject line my daughter who is 17 now has Mono. We think she just exhausted herself too much. She is so sick right now. I was home most of the week last week with her, but had to come to work yesterday.

I work for a major car parts company and I think sometimes nothing would get down around here if I did not do it. I work in the Bank reconciliation area here. I am so swamped this week. I am trying to get unburied from all the work that has piled up.

Has nayone else had a child with Mono and how did you help them get back to feeling better? She is out of school because of the Mono so she is really miserable

Thanks for any responses.

I am going to try to post a picture of my daughters today also at their Prom two weeks ago.
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

Your daughters are beautiful! My 22yo son had mono when he was 16. Since I had already been sick with CFS/FM for many years after a bout of mono, I was terrified as you can imagine.

So I treated him the way I wished I had been treated when I first became ill. I let him sleep as much as he wanted and didn't make him go back to school until he felt completely ready to.

I made sure that he ate a healthy diet and took lots of Vitamin C and Bilberry which is what I take when I am coming down with something.

He gradually increased his activity until he was ready to go back to school. He has never had the energy he once had but he leads a normal life. I think that he would have more energy if he took care of his candida.

Hope this helps.
    Pepper
  3. elliespad

elliespad Member

She can use Turmeric, the HERB, not the SPICE to put Epstein Barr in remission. This is available in any health food store for less than $10. Take 1 Capsule 3 times a day. Hope this helps her.
  4. kbak

kbak Member

My daughter had mono when she was a senior in high school. Luckily she only needed 1 credit senior yr. to graduate. She had a very severe case of mono 2 mo. before graduation, for 6 wks.

Other than complete bedrest and 1 wk of steroids, there was nothing else to be done. The bad news is she's 33 now and suffers from chronic epstein barr.

If I had to do it all over again, and had I known what I know now, I would have loaded her with all kinds of immune support. Beta glucans, reishi mushroom, ect. then maybe she wouldn't be suffereng today.

K.
  5. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

Epstein-Barr
    by Dr. Ray Strand (www.bionutrition.org)

Epstein-Barr virus is associated with tumors, chronic fatigue, and even certain cancers. Actually, more than 90% of the world’s population has been infected with the Epstein-Barr virus and have developed antibodies against it. There is a significant of number of unfortunate people, however, who do not recover well from this illness. Therefore, it is especially critical in this case to do everything possible to support the body’s natural immune system.

Epstein-Barr virus is also the cause of infectious mononucleosis characterized by fever, sore throat, swollen glands (especially tonsils), and overwhelming fatigue. This viral infection primarily involves the lymphatic tissue, liver, and spleen of the body, causing a low-grade hepatitis and swelling of the spleen. As a result, the spleen is more vulnerable to spontaneous rupture with even the mildest of trauma. For this reason athletes and active young people are cautioned to avoid any contact sports until they have totally recovered.

Mono is typically a disease of childhood that peaks in adolescents. Passed by saliva, it is commonly known as the “kissing disease.” Patients come to my office with a sore throat, swollen glands, swollen tonsils, and fever. Initially, it can mimic a serious strep throat or strep tonsillitis. These patients, however, do not respond to antibiotics because this is a viral infection—their body’s natural immune system has to cure the disease. This is why it is critical to not only rest but also eat well and take quality nutritional supplements. This is absolutely the best treatment available for defeating the potentially serious disease.

You don’t want to ignore this disease and push yourself. By doing so you are in danger of developing a chronic fatigue syndrome, which can last for years or even a lifetime. To take care of yourself and fully recover, you need plenty of rest while slowly increasing your activity level over a two to three month period of time so you can avoid a serious relapse.

Nutritional Supplement Recommendations

I recommend that all my patients take the basic nutritional support I refer to as cellular nutrition. This foundational regime provides all the necessary micronutrients to the cell at ideal levels (not RDA levels) for significant health benefits as documented in the medical literature. When the cell is given maximum support, it can then determine what it does and does not need. Over a six-month period each cell is able to not only overcome nutritional deficiencies but also to optimize ALL the nutrients, which are needed to combat oxidative stress.

The synergistic affect of providing all the nutrients needed by one’s body at the most advantageous levels results in optimizing and rebuilding the body’s natural immune system, antioxidant, and repair systems back to their fullest fighting potential against disease.

I hope she gets well soon.

6. usanagirl

usanagirl New Member

7. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

that is what they told me in the hospital that i had a type of non a or non b hepatitis..they put me in quarantine for darn near month in there...people had to wear face masks and gowns to come visit me..and i wasn't allowed outside of my room...

they told me i had it for along time..takes atleast 90- days for the symptoms come out...which explains why the heck i was tired..i just remember telling my mother my stomach hurt..she took me to e.r. she was an rn ..

i was jaundice....they did cat scans...came back and said liver and spleen were enlarged..put me on prednisone..

and i had always been jaundiced until i was 29 and had the gall bladder and spleeen out..i was finally dx w/spherocytosis...herditary bllod disease of irregular shaped red blood cells...spleen was trying it's best to get rid of them for me...which in turn would make me anemic...

but ever since the extra body parts were taken out no problems in that way..

jodie
  8. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

My daughter is still very miserable, and I think I need to take her back to the ER. Her stomach is getting bigger and bigger and she is not eating. Not a good sign.

I am really worried about her.

Christina
  9. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I don't have a lot of concrete advice but I'm sorry that you have to go through this along with everything else. It's so hard on young people and of course on parents.
    You know your daughter better than anyone so if you think she needs to go back to the hospital, then take her.

I will be thinking of you and hoping that she improves quickly.
    Kathy.
  10. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

christinawensell,
    You have 2 beautiful daughters you must be very proud.
    I dont know what mono is thats why i replied as ive heard of it on here but ive never known what it is.
    Please will you tell me what it is?
    Fibrolady37.