Daughter has strep, on antibiotics, OK to give probiotics?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TwinMa, Dec 13, 2005.

1. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

My daughter was diagnosed with strep throat today and was put on Amoxycillin. She is 11 yrs old. Is it okay to give her probiotics? I have the Jarro-dophilus brand.

If it is okay, how often and when? Does it need to be given away from the Amoxycillin?

I'm feeling pretty crummy myself today. Yesterday was good, today is bad. I hate this DD.

Katy
  2. amberini

amberini New Member

Hi TwinMa:

The rule of thumb is give the probiotic 3 - 4 hours after the antibiotic.
    I use the same brand probiotic.

Then after she is done with the antibiotic, keep up the probiotic. It helps her immune system and as we know that can't hurt.
    Hope you feel better soon,
    Amberini
  3. TwinMa

TwinMa New Member

I really appreciate your response. I will start her on probiotics today. Would 1 per day be appropriate?

My husband is pretty skeptical about me giving her some of my "weird supplements". I think I'll call the pediatrician today just to ease his mind.

Yesterday was such a horrible day, with me sick and my daughter sick. So I really thank you for your reply and support!

Katy
  4. BethM

BethM New Member

Hi, Katy, so sorry your daughter is sick!

Absolutely YES, give her the probiotics, but in between the antibiotic doses. She needs the support for her gut, as the antibiotics kill off ALL the gut bacteria, not just the bad ones, and will kill the good stuff in the probiotics, too, if the two are given close in time to each other.

You can also give her high quality yogurt, kefir or liquid acidophilus, if she will eat it. Again, give it at least an hour before or after the antibiotic dose. These foods contain the healthy gut bacteria that we need. Be sure the container states "contains live culture" on it. It's been my experience that you need to stay with a major brand, as grocery store brands may not have the right stuff. Read the labels, I'm sure you will find what you need.

And if your husband objects to the probiotics, the yogurt and kefir will help quite a lot too, and they are 'just food'.

Your pediatrician may never have heard of probiotics, so be prepared to teach him or her what they are! But maybe your doc is more enlightened than most...

peace,
    Beth.