Daughter is home after 11 months

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Redwillow, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi everyone! I have been away from my computer for a couple of days.

We picked our daughter up at the airport on Monday. She has been away from home for 11 months having an adventure and getting her teaching certificate in Queensland, Australia.

Monday was an extremely long day for me as the airport is 2 1/2 hour drive and we left early just in case we had bad weather.

By the time she finally came through the customs doors I was exhausted and almost in tears from excitement and pain.

The last 2 days have a been a steady round of family and friends dropping by for a visit and a hug so I am pretty tired. Right now she is having a nap, needs to get adjusted to the big change in time zones, so I am getting a chance to chat up on my mail.

It has been snowing steadily in our part of Ontario Canada ever since we got home from the airport, thank goodness the snow waited for us!

hugs Redwillow
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am so happy that your daughter arrived home safely.
    It is great to have all your friends and family over,
    I hope they don't wear you out too much.

Thank goodness your power is back on. 20 hours without
    power is too long. Your arms must be sore from hauling
    the water from the pond.

Enjoy your time with her and don't forget to rest.

Gentle bear hugs

3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm so happy your child is home. Will she be home to stay now?

Hope you survive all the excitement and that you'll be able to get some rest and recoup when it's settled down.

Stop and smell the puppies!
  4. Callum

Callum New Member

How wonderful for you to have your daughter home safely in time for the holidays! It must be a shock to her system - coming from the Australian summer to the Ontario winter!

5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

You are right Callum the weather my daughter left was 32C (about 90F) plus humidity in Australia.

It has been steadily snowing since she arrived here and last night the temperature dropped to -13C (about 8F).

I have been keeping the heat turned up here for her and all the grandparents that have dropped by for a visit and a hug the last 2 days! To be honest I am too hot! LOL

Bruinz thanks for the reminder to rest! you are right I have been really overdoing. I am glad she is napping so I can get a rest from all the visiting!

Greenbean the dogs were happy to see her too! She was afraid that they would have forgetten her but dogs always remember their people! Especially the ones who feed them! LOL

hugs Redwillow
  6. ksp56

ksp56 Member

I am very happy you have your daughter home, safe and sound. What a great gift!

Take care of yourself, and rest when needed. Pace, pace, pace, yourself!

God bless your family,

7. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I am also looking forward to seeing my daughter- the one still in Alaska! She and her family are coming for the holidays- can't wait!!
  8. MelaC

MelaC New Member

I am sure you must be very happy to have your daughter home. Is she on holiday or home permanently?

As everyone has said remember to take care of yourself so you will be able to make the most of her stay.

Take care
  9. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I'm very happy for both you and your Daughter that she

has arrived home just in time for the Holidays! I assume

then that her Teaching Certificate from Downunder is like-

wise valid in Canada? Would it thus be valid throughout

the Commonwealth?

I have a "Lifetime" credential from the State of Calif.

but I would need to obtain a new one from any other State

and meet their requirements. Interesting.

Sure the two of you are "ketching up" on lots of things!

Have a great weekend!

MRDAD aka JOE
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2006]
  10. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Yes her certificate is valid here in Ontario. We checked on that before she went. She has to apply for our Ontario Federation of teachers of course and also to the teacher's union.

If she went to any other province here in Canada she would have to apply to their board and they would tell her if her teaching certificate was valid there. It is my understanding that it would be.

So I guess if she wanted to apply anywhere she would have to see if it meets with their requirements. She has talked about teaching over seas. I am not sure if she will though.

Her father was born in the England. I understand that she could apply for British citizenship and then teach anywhere in the European common market. However we really haven't looked into any of this.

Hopefully she will be able to find a teaching position in our area!

hugs Redwillow

11. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Was a bit curious as to how that all worked. Thanks for
    the info. and I do hope that your Daughter finds a posi-
    tion nearby so as she will be close to you, Family and

Hope that you both are enjoying the "reunion" very much!
    When my Daughter was studying in China, I missed her alot
    although we tried to phone from time to time.

Have a great week ahead!
    MRDAD aka JOE
    [This Message was Edited on 12/10/2006]
  12. kriket

kriket New Member