Daughter Lost It !

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by granmama, Aug 23, 2002.

1. granmama

granmama New Member

Yesterday, my daughter went to her doc to discuss the Paxil/sexual issue and her upcoming marriage. She was hoping he would switch to an another drug that did not have the potential to affect her sexually.

He said he did not want to take her off Paxil because it was really helping with the anxiety. So, he suggested reducing the dosage from 20mg to 10mg. in hopes this would help the libido problem.

She went home and took her 10mg and remembered she had not taken any the day before (fibrofog). By early evening, she was hysterical & crying. I told her to take some more Paxil because she could not continue like she was, the kids were scared.

I told her about the reports I have read here on Paxil withdrawal. She has been on Paxil about 3 months.

Any ideas, comments or concerns would be appreciated. I have run out of things to say to her.

granmama

2. granmama

granmama New Member

Yesterday, my daughter went to her doc to discuss the Paxil/sexual issue and her upcoming marriage. She was hoping he would switch to an another drug that did not have the potential to affect her sexually.

He said he did not want to take her off Paxil because it was really helping with the anxiety. So, he suggested reducing the dosage from 20mg to 10mg. in hopes this would help the libido problem.

She went home and took her 10mg and remembered she had not taken any the day before (fibrofog). By early evening, she was hysterical & crying. I told her to take some more Paxil because she could not continue like she was, the kids were scared.

I told her about the reports I have read here on Paxil withdrawal. She has been on Paxil about 3 months.

Any ideas, comments or concerns would be appreciated. I have run out of things to say to her.

granmama

3. selma

selma New Member

Sorry to hear about the Paxil. I was taking 12.5mgs CR
    The CR stands for Controlled Release. I only took it for a few weeks. Hope it helps. I also read all the horror stories about SSRI s.
    I took it for a short time too when I stopped it. Had echhhy feelings for about four days. But, that's why people become adicted because they feel worse but I expected them coming off. I know that you support heremotionally and it must be very hard to see a granddaughter in pain. I don't know her behavior so don't mind my sugg. I send my love and prayers that she will soon find whats best for her.

Lots of Love, Selma
  4. Lanie

Lanie New Member

Sorry to hear about your daughters problem. Paxil has been in an uproar on the news this week...Below is a story on the Connecticut news. JMO, but if I were taking this drug I would INSIST that the dr. take me off.

WTNH, Aug 23, 2002 5:31 PM _ Earlier this week a federal judge ordered the makers of the popular drug Paxil to pull its TV commercials off the air. The controversy is over claims the anti-depressant drug is "non-habit forming." A Meriden woman tells us she regrets ever taking Paxil.

Everyday tasks are now unbearable for Claire Cloukey. Her right side is extremely weak. Her future she says is uncertain.

"I just wish I had never put that first pill in my mouth."

The pill is Paxil. It's an anti-depressant drug prescribed to control her anxiety attacks. But after four years Claire's neurologist contacted the drug maker to say her central nervous system is damaged and links it to Paxil.

"It's activated by an electrical discharge which originates in my central nervous system -- either the brain or the spinal cord -- and then it's transmitted down my peripheral nerves on the right side of my body and then it produces this shock-like, brief shock-like muscle contraction."

Even while I was talking to her she had a shock-like contraction.

"What happened just now Claire?"
    "Um, I feel a shock-like sensation across the front of my head and a numbness, and then it goes all the way down and just jolts the right side of my body."

Commercial: "Now Paxil, the only medication proven effective for social anxiety disorder offers new hope."

The Paxil commercials pulled off the air by a federal judge this week didn't deliver on that promise to Claire and thousands of others. On a Paxil database Web site there are countless other desperate stories like Claire's

"I myself took about four to six weeks just to start to get off it, where many of those nights I spent lying on the bathroom floor and I actually thought about suicide."

She's only 32 years old. Claire says it's a struggle but she tries to stay positive.

Claire called GlaxoSmithKline in Philadelphia. The person who took her call took down the information but did not call back.

News Channel 8 also contacted the company. We're still waiting to hear from a spokesperson.

_____

GlaxoSmithKline
    http://www.gsk.com/

http://www.paxil.com/

Paxil Database
    http://paxil.bizland.com/
  5. granmama

granmama New Member

Hi,
    Thank you so much for posting the article. I am printing it now and will give it to my daughter to take to her doc.

I will check out the other sites too.

thanks again!
    granmama

ps.wedding is still on, she hasn't lost him yet!!

6. blast

blast New Member

Unfortunately, most of the anti-d's have the sex problem. I have been on 4 different ones and have always had the same problem.
    I finally figured out that for the orgasmic part you have to work extra hard! Go slow, tell your partner to take their time, and give you pleasures in many ways. Don't expect quickies cuz it ain't happinin'!
    Proazc, Paxil, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Zoloft all have those side effect, so see what the dr. says which one had the least!
    Hope this helps,
    Blast

[ advertisement ]