Daughters Dog put to Sleep

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sisland, Oct 10, 2007.

1. sisland

sisland New Member

I don't know if any of you remember that i posted about my Girls 11year old Black Lab "Teal" Had gotten into some Rat Poisen and had to have a spleen and a Kidney removed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,While in there the Vet discovered she had Cancer,,,,,,,So Sad! (about a month ago)

Well this morning she had to put her to sleep,,,,,and is having a really hard time with it!,,,lot's of memories,,,,,,she was a sweet girl who loved to go with her mom everywhere!

Hiking , Boating, swimming, Backpacking,,,,etc,,,,Please pray for my Girl Tanya ,,,,,,That her pain will be eased as she goes through this Greiving process,,,,,I appreciate it! Teal,,was my first Granddog!

Any suggestions of what i can do for her to ease the pain? i know i just need to be supportive and sent a beautiful card to her!

Does anyone KNow the "Rainbow Bridge poem?",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks Sis
  2. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm so sorry, words cannot say.

Google Rainbow Bridge. I don't have it saved because I can't read it without crying.

3. sisland

sisland New Member

Greenbean! i'll Google it!
  4. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Your poor daughter...and poor you!

I will pray for Tanya...what a hard process...life has so much loss.

Hope you find the poem.

Sympathy to all...

5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

for the loss.

I can truly say I know how it feels, as I have put down 2 dogs, and have one on my lap right now, that is days away from the same fate.

The only thing for all to remember is that we gave them the best we could. And ending it sometimes the best thing to do for our pets.

6. ckball

ckball New Member

I sent prayers for your daughter and your family. Losing a pet is like loosing a part of the family. You are already doing all you can, you are a great mom, just be there for her. Carla
  7. laceymae

laceymae New Member

I am so sorry. I lost my 17 year old furry baby last month, so i know how hard it is.

Somebody posted a beautiful poem here not to long ago about suffering a lose...brain fog Can't remember who and I can't find it now.

Maybe it was Rock or Rafiki..

Hugs to you and your daughter

8. sisland

sisland New Member

Thankyou all so so Much for your thoughtfulness and words of comfort!,,,,,

Ellie~~~ What a Beautiful poem! i have copied it so i can give it to Tanya,,,,,she was Exstrodenarily Attached to Teal,,,,,This is a perfect poem! and out of the mouth of a 6 year old,,,,,,,,,Thanks!
  9. Khalyal

Khalyal New Member

My dogs teach me daily how to be in my relationship with God. It doesn't matter what deity you believe in, what higher path you strive for.

If you just look at your dog and how he loves you unconditionally, trusts you blindly, forgives you immediately, comforts you faithfully, you will know how to act.

Dogs are angels. That's why they are only here a short time. They have to go home.

(hugs) Sisland, for you and your daughter.
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I had to put my dear sweet 18month old doggie down just 2 weeks ago. The pain is indescribable. They think my Gretchen also somehow got into rat poison.

Nothing prepares you for the loss of a pet. They love you so unconditionally.

I missed her so much that I didn't think I could breathe. I felt such a longing and void that my arms ached for her.

As God would have it, a rescue minature schnauzer needed a home. I know several people in the neighborhood are astounded that I would have another dog enter my life so quickly after Gretchen's passing.

This little guy has made such a difference in my ability to cope. He will never replace Gretchen. They are as opposite as night and day. Rudy is Rudy, plain and simple. I will always have such loving memories of Gretchen, but my life must go on.

Gretchen was there for me through all of the cancer stuff. I don't know what I would have done without her. I could just hold her and cry. She just gave me unconditional love.

This little rescue schnauzer doesn't know about pet toys, verbal commands, what a leash is for, etc. So we are learning each other's quirks together.

I guess in life we have to take the good with the bad. When you love something so much, then you miss them so badly. It makes you realize the fragilness of life. Every day is special.

I found great comfort in the cards, flowers, and food that was sent to my home after Gretchen had to be put to sleep.

The children in the neighborhood made me handmade sympathy cards. Teenagers baked me cookies. Neighbors brought us over supper.

I cried until I felt there wasn't another tear left in my body. Each day now seems to be a little easier, but the oddest things will start me crying again. Gretchen had a favorite firehydrant that she spent waaaaaaaaaaay too much time investigating with her nose. There was a particular rose bush that Gretchen would stop and smell the individual roses every time we went around the block. She really enjoyed the fragrance of those particular roses.

I'd let her talk about the doggie and help her to remember the good times they had before the lab got so sick.

Each person handles grief differently. Maybe ask her what you can do to help?????? I wouldn't avoid the topic of her lab. She has to verbalize her grief rather than just holding it all inside.
  11. sisland

sisland New Member

Thanks Alot for your responce! Soo sorry to Hear of Gretchen too! I really do believe they go to "Doggy Heaven"! What beautiful Memories you have of Her!

I also had to put my little Dazee May to sleep about a year ago,,I thought i was going to die myself for about a week,,,,,,,,She was a shelter dog and had a seizure disorder ,,,,,,,,

But i loved her and had her for 3 years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,But Now as you have Rudy,,I have Lucky and we are also learning to adjust to eachother,

My Girl Tanya is doin' ok! Thanks Again for all your responces,,,,,and Prayers,,,,,,,,S

[This Message was Edited on 10/11/2007]