Daughter's education plan approved for OHI status!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by connieaag, May 22, 2006.

1. connieaag

connieaag New Member

FYI -- mostly to record the topic so I can help any other parents of kids with FM/FCS, but my daughter was approved today for an Education Plan under the Other Health Impairment (OHI)category of Special Ed services. She will be in 8th grade next year and attend regular classes, but have special accomodations to better work around her symptoms and pain, and a reduced school day to help her stay in school and rest as needed. Please let me know if I can be of asssitance as this is the first case of FM approved in our school corporation under OHI and it is one of the largest in the state of Indiana. Special thanks to all who contributed under my other posts ergarding this topic! It has been a good day for me as a parent of a chld with this DD! Connie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/22/2006]
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well Done! Thank you for spearheading this needed approval.

IDEA (2004) calls for every school district to provide research based data to support any decision they are making regarding any children with any disability. The onus is upon the SD to provide that data.

FM, JRA and other DD's have often been overlooked in the past.

Only this weekend I was talking to a grandma raising her legally blind 4th grader who had the school telling her that she has to stay in a self contained classroom that is academically below her standards. I was pleased to tell her the SD was breaking the law, that the child has the right to a free and appropriate public education in mainstream, and that in her case a braille trained aide must be provided by the SD. What is odd here is that this SD often fight parents who WANT their kids in self contained classes, but are lying to this grandma thinking they can pull the wool over her eyes.

Well done, this case can now be quoted by others who are in the same boat(anywhere) and I know there are a few teens with this on the boards, who can apply themselves.

Oh I wanted to add that the precedent has already been set that you can ask for WebCam to be placed in the classrooms so she can follow lessons at home.

Love Anne C
  3. place

place New Member

It cost a great deal more money to support a kiddo in an inclusion environment. Although it is against the law to make a judgment on a child’s schooling based on money.

I have qualified many kids with muscle atrophy, bone diseases and arthritis issues, it is always under OHI.

I serve many children in a district that has the opposite problem. What ever the parent’s wants is what they get even if it is a detriment to the child.

My favorite is putting a child with ADD/ADHD in full inclusion in a class structure that is based group learning.

There have been many kids getting services that tested in the 89%. But mom and dad think the kid does not write well enough and they need OT services.

What this does is take time away from kids who really need it. It is frustrating to say the least.