Daughters of D.E.S. ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fudge43, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

... I'm just curious if there are any women, whose mothers were on D.E.S. ( artificial hormone to prevent miscarriage .. perscribed in the 50s and 60s ) .. early in the 1990s there was a lot of media coverage over the after affects of the adults, born under those circumstances .. cancer and assorted medical issues .. my mother was on it because she may have lost a "twin" during her pregnancy with me. I'm just wondering if this is a factor in our plight ? .. thanks for any responses !
    Fudge
  2. CarolK

CarolK New Member

Hey... if you do a word search on this site you will find that there has been a great deal of discussion on this very issue of DES. Check it out and you will see that many people here had a lot to contribute to the topic.

Blessings... CarolK
  3. petsrme

petsrme Member

Fudge I bumped two DES posts for you. I hope you find them.
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Thank very much guys ! .. I'm still a bit new here and I didn't think of doing the search .. I thought for a while this was going to be a blank response topic .. phew ! .. glad to know there are questions about this additional risk factor .. there seem to be a big flurry of media attention in the early 90s .. then it "disappeared" .. but "we" are still here ! haha
    Thanks again !
    Fudge
  5. ajp

ajp New Member

Hi,
    I was so happy to see this post. I believe my mom was given DES. She has passed away and I am trying to get her medical records. I believe somehow this is connected to a lot of my health problems. I had Chronic fatigue in my 20's, was hospitalized twice with it, have been diagnosed with OA and recently fibro. I am 44 years old and most times feel 100.
    Lately I have been having the rib pain and it is so painful!!!! There are some good web sites on D.E.S.. Let me know if you find any good info.
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
    [This Message was Edited on 09/27/2005]
  6. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

My former sister-in-law is one - she's 55 and her mother was given DES for spotting in early pregnancy.
    She's had numerous hormonal problems including some kind of cervical dysplasia resulting in infertility. But as far as I know, she has lots of energy raising her 2 adopted children who are 13 and 11.

Char