Dave Barry Covers the Rio Olympics

Discussion in 'Homebound/Bedbound' started by hangininthere, Aug 15, 2016.

1. hangininthere

hangininthere Well-Known Member

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Hi Patti

Have been reading Dave's reports on the Olympics. He's covered the
    games before. I read he met his second wife there.

I think Dave is our funniest humorist. And the most prolific. Some
    decades back I sent him a birthday card for my mother. He signed it
    and mailed it to her. She was thrilled.

Yesterday there was a pic of Dave with a giant Rubik's Cube. Sadly
    the pic is gone today. So is the green water in the pool according to
    the latest news.

Rock

http://www.miamiherald.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/dave-barry/article95616787.html
    ConfusedInPA likes this.
  3. hangininthere

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  4. rockgor

Hi Patti

Haven't read that column for many years. Still funny. Thanks.

I loved Erma too. My aunt and uncle gave me one of her books for a birthday
    sometime in my 20's, I guess. Read 'em all.

Just went to the library site. Thought I'd put a couple on hold. The library site
    is not available for some reason. Machts nicht. I'll do it tomorrow.

I think the book with the funniest beginning is Fannie Flagg's Can't Wait
    To Get To Heaven. It's the sequel to Standing In The Rainbow.

And the book with the funniest ending is Pontoon by Garrison Keillor.
    His novel Liberty is also good. IMHO of course.

Rock

[​IMG]
  5. hangininthere

I've never read Fannie Flagg, have heard of her writing from you. I just remember her from Candid Camera (after I looked her up just now). Have heard her name all my life. And know what she looks like. Didn't know she wrote books til I've seen you and others talk about it in posts.

I just now ordered her book I Can't Wait To Get To Heaven from my library - they send books and DVDs to me in the mail since I'm a shut-in.

Should I read them in order, though, since the Heaven book is a sequel?

Haven't read a real book in about fifteen years, too hard to lay here in the position to hold a book up long enough to read. Will try again. I only read online now, but can't find it free online.

They have the audio version at my library, but don't like audio books because they don't stress and emphasize the words in the sentences like I would. Plus with a book, I can stop in mid-sentence and ponder, etc. My 'learning style' is visual anyway, and not auditory.

I used to get books by the armful at the library before my CFS got worse. I'd even have hubby and the kids carry armfuls, too, when I was researching something (it was before I learned computer). I'd read all day and night and couldn't stop. Really binged.

My Mom likes Garrison Keillor. I read one of her books by him years ago, but can't remember which one or if I loved it or not. I think I liked it, though. I'll check his books out from library, too. Only getting one book at a time now, since my brain-fog is so bad.

My paperback collection of Erma Bombeck books are in shreds, broken spines, fallen apart in half and taped, etc. Love them. I re-read them every couple of years in the bathroom, and laugh out loud every sentence every time. I can only read real books in the bathroom in small increments. Same with magazines. My own books and magazines only - wouldn't take a library book in the bathroom.

Same with Dave Barry, I laugh out loud every sentence. Instead of 'a laugh a minute' it is 'a laugh a second'.

I don't care much for Bombeck's newspaper columns, but just love her books. On the other hand, I love Barry's newspaper columns way better than his books. (I read some chapters of one of his books online and it didn't grab me like his columns do. Didn't give it much of a chance though, would have to read more of his books to really tell for sure).

That's great your aunt and uncle turned you on to Erma's books.

Patti
  6. rockgor

Hi Patti

Hope you enjoy Fannie. I saw her a week or two ago on Match Game. I like that
    old show, but it moves very slowly with the actors all chatting and the
    rigmarole they go through with the procedures of game.

You don't have to read Fannie's books in order. It just that the two I mentioned
    have many of the same character; maybe 20 years later. So it holds together
    better if you start with Standing in the etc.

Yes, I don't take showers anymore. My balance is kinda shaky. I do read
    in the tub, but only paperbacks that I bought at the library sales. Sometimes
    you can get them at no charge at all. (Hardbacks too.)

My Alz is getting worse. Now when I pick up a book I was reading earlier, I often
    find myself wondering, "Who is Charles?" And what is he upset about?"
    Just finished a good book on the movies by Richard Roeper (pronounced
    Roper). The title is Schlock Value. Info on the movies and on the TV
    show Roeper had with Roger Ebert.

Happy Reading
    Rock
    [​IMG]

7. hangininthere

I just now cancelled the 'Heaven' book and ordered 'Standing in the Rainbow' to read first.

Sorry about your Alzheimer's.

Your posts on PH are always crystal clear, sharp as can be, as always.

Patti
    rockgor likes this.
  8. rockgor

Hi Patti

Gordon and I just got back from the library. I dug through the pile of books
    that were for sale. Paperbacks are a dime @. Found "If Life Is A Bowl of Cherries..."
    The book was copyrighted 1971; printed 1978. It's in pretty good shape for a
    45 year old paperback. Cover intact; no pages missing.

When we got home I was hunting about for a book Gordon wants. Didn't find it
    but came across "Dave Barry Is From Mars And Venus." So now I have a
    couple of great reads to revisit.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my posts. I do make a lot of typos
    and spelling errors now. Worse, my brain sometimes substitutes words.
    Kinda like auto correct. Very annoying. I have to do lots of proofreading.
    (Ha! Just noticed one in the third sentence. I originally typed "Paperbacks
    at a dime @.) But that's not too bad. People could still figure it out. Sometimes
    the meaning of the word changes the sentence substantially.

Hope you're have a good day. Not too hot. It's supposed to be 88 here.

Rock
  9. hangininthere

Glad you could go on an outing, feels good to get out even though it about kills us. What a good find at the library, and at home.

I loved the book 'Women Are From Venus, Men Are From Mars'. I'll have to get Barry's book about it, sounds good, hahahaha.

I didn't even notice the dime @, haha. Even with just CFS, a lot of us type or say the wrong word that we mean, I do it all the time, and edit my posts like crazy. You can be reading my post and the words change right before your eyes - that's me editing.

I did too many things in one week and paying with the misery of extreme post-exertional-malaise. Gonna take a tranquilizer now because today I've reached the point of moaning and groaning and griping non-stop to hub over it, which he's heard a million times. I feel almost like in a panic - not a panic attack though, never had one. Near panic to be in such exhausted misery.

All I did was go grocery shopping twice, and fried some chicken and french fries, which was fun because I haven't had the strength to cook in over a year or more. Plus I have a doc appointment to get to day after tomorrow. That's four activities I've done in one week, when my limit is one activity a week (grocery shopping). I no longer walk in stores like I did for a few months, need wheelchair at all times now as before.

I got all my Erma books at thrift stores years ago. I can't remember how I started reading her - it wasn't in the newspaper which I didn't get one, so I don't know. Glad I discovered her. I discovered Dave Barry when I learned computer in 2005 and came across him online.

Patti
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  10. rockgor

Hi Patti

How did the doctor appointment go? I seldom go to the doc as he can't really do
    much except prescribe pills. I take 7 a day. Some of them I'm supposed to
    take twice a day, but I usually forget....Just checked my pill organizer. Ooppps!
    Didn't take any yet today. OK, did now.

What did you cook? I used to do lots of cooking, but no more. With my Alz
    I can't use the stove top or the oven 'cause I always forget. Everything burns.
    I can heat stuff up in the microwave though.

My parents were both great cooks. My dad had his own cafe. I picked up
    a lot from them and the cooking shows. Once fixed an entire Thanksgiving
    dinner including the turkey, dressing and two pies. Just once though.

Have you ever tried driving those combination golf carts and shopping
    baskets some stores have? Looks like it would be fun if one didn't really
    need to. Reminds me of the cars teenagers could drive. I think it was
    a franchise. Can't remember the name. Used to take my son. Later
    we spent a lot of time driving around an empty parking lot near
    downtown LA while he learned to drive a real car.

Hugs
    Rock

[​IMG]
  11. rockgor

Good to have you back, GB. Tried to send you a message, but no workee.
    I think that happened before. If your hubby is interested, I will post my
    experience with cataract surgery. It was all positive.

Sorry to hear about the various health problems. Seems hard to find that
    happy medium. Usually way too much of some stuff and not enough in
    other areas. Everydobby on the board seems to have way too many
    ailments. I plan to file a complaint soon as I can find the appropriate
    web site.

Gentle hugs
    Rock
    bct and gb66 like this.
  12. rockgor

Hi GB

I'm currently rereading Dave Barry Turns 40. After that will reread
    Dave Barry Turns 50. I think he said there would be no Dave Barry
    Turns 60 book. Guess 60 isn't funny.

Anyhoo, I had my eye surgery at Kaiser Permanente. The bad news was I
    had to wait a year for same. At one point they called me at the office and said
    if I could come to their facility that afternoon, they could do the surgery
    the next morning. When I got there I waited an hour. Then was told it
    was all a mistake. Had to wait more months.

However, when I actually did get the surgery it was painless and instantly
    effective. My vision was improved immediately. I could read the clock
    on the wall as they wheeled me out of the operating room.

A dozen patients were all instructed to appear at Kaiser at 9AM. We lay
    on a gurney till it was our turn. (Good thing I brought a book to read.)
    After 3 hours I was wheeled into the operating room. The nurse put drops
    in my eyes. The surgeon came in and did the necessary. Probably took him
    5-6 minutes.

I had thought I would see instruments poking my eye, but all I actually saw
    was some colorful blurs. Went home with a bandage over my eye. Can't
    remember if I was told to remove it later or not. The next morning the
    patients all reported for an exam. Out of the dozen only two reported any
    discomfort. One said mild. One said pretty bad.

The doctor examined us. Maybe gave us eye drops. Or maybe that was the
    day before. Well, it was back in the 90s. My recollection isn't as good
    as I had thought.

So my vision was better. I could see colors better. And I no longer had
    to wear glass. Now I only wear reading glasses. I kept misplacing mine
    so I bought a dozen at the 99 cent store a decade or so ago. Still have
    several of them left. Six clear; six dark.

Best of luck to DH. Oh yeah, he will need someone to drive him home
    after the surgery.

Rock

Hi Kiddo, two things I forgot to say. One is fully conscious during
    the surgery. I had both eyes done. Can't remember how long between
    the two surgeries. A month or two maybe.

Four word title: I'll be seeing you.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    gb66 likes this.
  13. rockgor

Hi GB, I read the original line was, "What's cooking with you, Kid?"

Oh, wait. Maybe it was, "Your booking was cancelled? You're kidding."

And the line, "We'll always have Paris," was originally, "We'll always have Pittsburgh."

Serially, I have read several times that the final scene was shot at the Burbank airport.
    But Snopes says the military would not allow filming at airports because of the
    recent attack at Pearl Harbor. Therefore the scene was shot at Warner Bros.
    Studio using a scaled down airplane that would fit inside the sound stage.

Good luck to DH.
    Rock
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    gb66 likes this.
  14. gb66

gb66 Well-Known Member

Have had such a variety of films on TCM recently. From "42nd Street", to "How Green Was My Valley" to "Casablanca".

How Green Was My Valley was depressing, Casablanca was, well, Casablanca and 42nd Street was 'SWELL'! Dare I say, They don't make um like that anymore? GB
  15. rockgor

Hi GB

You thought How Green Was My Valley was depressing? You should be
    forced to sit through it when you're in grade school. Back in elementary
    school we always had a free movie shown in the school gym just before
    Christmas vacation. One year it was How Green... Can't imagine
    who's idea that was.

I saw 42 Second Street a couple decades ago as a stage musical. It was
    great. They did a wonderful job of creating a train on stage for the
    Shuffle Off to Buffalo number.

Tried watching a fairly recent movie today that I got at the library.
    After half an hour I gave up. Of the last half dozen DVDs from the library,
    I think I only watched one all the way to the end. One of the things that
    really annoys me is when the "background" music drowns out the
    dialogue. TV shows are now doing the same thing.

I'd like to grab the responsible person by the lapels and say, "Look!
    I know this is the exciting climax. I don't need thumping drums to
    tell me that!" Many of the nature programs (including National
    Geographic) now do the same thing.

Hope you're feeling a little better, Patti. Well, it wouldn't be too
    realistic to hope you're a lot better. I have a Dave Barry and a
    Fannie Flagg book on hold at the library. I'm number three
    on the waiting list for both. Just finished rereading Dave Barry
    Turns 50. I think it's his best work.

Hugs, Kids
    Rock
    gb66 likes this.
  16. hangininthere

Hi Guys.

Got my Fanny Flagg book 'Standing in the Rainbow' in the mail today from library. Read several chapters this afternoon. Love it. Reminds me of Jan Karon's 'Mitford' series, love those too.

Such brain fog, can't write much right now.

The four people I know who had cataract surgery did fine. The doc gives you a sedative that makes you not remember the surgery. Your hubby will need to leave his eye patch on so that he doesn't poke his eye in his sleep, or rub his eye unthinkingly when awake. He must also do the eye drops about 4 or 5 times a day to ward off infection and to keep eye moist - the drops are the only hassle - they must be done religiously. Oh, and he can't bend over for many days, so it'll be very hard to not do his normal activities requiring bending over.

Can't focus to write anymore. More another time. Lots to respond to that I want to say but just can't get it into words right now. I have the words in my head, but can't transfer them to speech or writing, drat.

Patti
    rockgor and gb66 like this.
  17. hangininthere

P.S. I wish they didn't make such sad scary movies for kids. I didn't let my son see or read any of it when he was little.

Here's a heartbreaking video of two little brothers sobbing their hearts out in the car after the sad movie 'The Odd Life of Timothy Green' at the theater. I like how their parents helped them talk it out. Such beautiful tender-hearted boys.

18. hangininthere

I've been enjoying reading 'Standing in the Rainbow'.

I went ahead and bought it and 'Can't Wait to Get to Heaven' used paperbacks on Amazon for a penny each plus shipping.

Can't hold the book lying here in bed, but read on the throne in bathroom with book on my lap when I'm roosting.

That's the same clear pill bottle I have that you pictured. Was so thrilled to find out it has a lever that makes the lids open easily after all these years of prying them open with all my might.

The only thing I can cook that's fitting for guests is Thanksgiving feast turkey and all the works including pies, cheesecake, etc. I don't have guests anymore, and never did really, maybe a relative once every five years. I just cooked it every year for hub and son. No energy now to cook it for about 10 years now.

With those motorized scooter carts in stores, I crash into displays and run over hubby's foot more than once. I'm too impatient and brain-fogged, gotta be sharp to drive. Safer for me to ride in my wheelchair holding onto regular cart while hubby does the steering.

He used to pull the shopping cart from the front while I held on to back, but had to change since he got sciatic pain and compressed discs (probably from twisting part-way to pull me and the cart full of groceries, drat, poor hubby). Now I have my wheelchair even with him and we both hold on to cart handle. Good thing I have one good arm/shoulder than can take holding on and being pulled.

I had written a long reply weeks ago, but accidentally deleted it somehow, we all know how frustrating that is. I wish the edit and delete icons weren't right next to each other, since I edit a lot.

Trying to remember what I wrote.

My Mom and one 'modern' Grandma were good cooks. My other Grandma who was poor and a homebody like me living with her handicapped daughter all her life, when Dad took us to visit her, she would throw a bunch of leftovers from the fridge such as canned creamed corn into pans and heat them up, and it tasted just as wonderful, a feast. She always put the flames on the gas stove too high, licking up the side of the pan to the top, ha ha, it was a nerve-wracking sight to behold.

Dad taught us how to 'drive' when little - we would sit on his lap and steer. I did that with my son once, but then got manual clutch cars and couldn't do it anymore.

The first time Dad taught me how to drive a clutch when I was about 16, we were driving down our country road and I hit a cat that ran out. I didn't remember to push down the clutch to brake, and panicked. The cat ran off into the field, don't know what happened to it, was so flustered trying to control the car that I didn't stop to look for it like I should have. I went back later and couldn't find the poor kitty.

When my Mom first learned to drive a clutch when I was younger, us four kids were in the back seat and she did the same thing, forgot to depress the clutch pedal along with brake on the top of the hill road we lived on. She backed out of our driveway and the car went flying backwards down the hill and I was so afraid we'd hit a car coming up over the rise toward the bottom, but thank God no cars on road but us. She finally got it stopped somehow before we flew through the intersection on main street and into the woods.

Dad was generous with letting me use his cars starting when I was 16. I was wild in high school, and had the car up on two wheels around a curve a couple of times. One time was with 11 friends from school during lunch break. Makes me shudder now. When we got back to school, the vice-principal was standing there with arms crossed waiting for us. Everyone but me ducked down and lay there when I parked. Of course the vice-principal had already seen us as we drove by and pulled in, before we spotted him. The vice-principal stood there waiting and we finally had to get out - 11 kids exiting one by one with heads down low. What a sight. My parents grounded me from driving to school for two weeks for that one.

Patti
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    bct, rockgor and gb66 like this.
  19. rockgor

Hi Patti, good to hear from you again. I am shocked, shocked I tell you, to hear
    you were a wild kid in High School. We didn't really have any of those in our
    village. A lotta the kids lived on a farm. They had to go home on the school
    bus right after school got out. No opportunity to get into trouble or participate
    in school activities like sports or the school paper or etc.

And then, when you live in a village, it's hard to get into trouble when
    everybody knows you. "Why, Sally Peterson. Why aren't you in school
    today? Does your mother know about this? I'll have to ask her when I
    see her at Ladies Aid this afternoon"?

Glad to hear you like Standing in the Rainbow. There are some other
    authors that write about village life. I've posted those names before.
    Will again if you like.

GB, did your DH have the cataract surgery? Went well? Hope you
    are feeling better.

I'm still waiting for Fannie Flagg's latest book.

Gordon went to the library this afternoon. Got attitude from the librarian
    who is usually friendly. Guess she doesn't like the new check out system
    And she didn't like the two heavy books we had. (Well, they weighed a tad
    over 11 pounds.) But it's not like she was asked to carry them home for us.

Then we went to the drug store. CVS. That used to stand for Consumer Value
    Stores. Now it stands for something else. Anyhoo the clerk was even more
    unpleasant than the librarian.

"Speaking personally, you can have my gun, but you’ll take my book when
    you pry my cold, dead fingers off of the binding." Stephen King

Rock
  20. hangininthere

I was age 13 when the hippie generation came in. Wild times.

My Dad moved us from the city at same age, thinking small town country life would be safer. Those country kids were something else. I was shocked at their wild ways. My city friends were all like you described in your town. Then I assimilated into our new 'safer' environment, joined the crowd, and was off and running.

That's heartbreaking when clerks are mean. Before I met and married my hubby 24 years ago, I would cry for 3 weeks when a clerk was mean to me. But now no one has been that mean to me ever since. There's this one manager at one grocery store I go to that I dread going there. She obviously has an aversion to me and won't even say hello when I greet her.

Yes, tell me the other authors I'd like.

Here's what CVS means now...according to Ellen who mentions it in this hilarious video of her taking First Lady Michele Obama to the CVS to get her used to civilian life.