Day 10 of Southbeach diet, hate it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Chelz, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I started the Southbeach diet on July 5th. I should have weighed myself as soon as I started, but I know generally how much I weigh. This phase 1 high protein diet is making me very tired and fatigued almost depressed.

They say once you are on phase 1, which cuts out all simple suger, starch, bread, certain vegetables (no carrots, squash, corn, things like that), you will lose your taste for suger and starchy foods, not true with me. I am still craving sugar and am getting crabbier by the day.

Maybe some FM'ers can't tolerate this either. I seem to not be able to tolerate anything. I need to lose the weight, but being miserable may not be the answer, LOL.

I start phase 2 on July 19th (can't wait), where I can introduce some fruits back into my diet, and have whole grain pasta at least a little bit. I'm not sure what I will do in a few months when I want to treat myself to some sweets.

I am a little bitter since I never had a weight problem before I took antidepressants. When I was on the drugs, I gained a ton of weight and have only been able to take off some of it, this is what is making me so angry about all this diet stuff. Venting again. Hugs, Chelz.
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

Im not 100% familiar with southbeach diet but do know its a low carb diet similar to atkins diet which i follow. Theres something u can try if your feeling very low energy wise because of the diet. Firstly because alot of the initial weight is water weight u lose you can lose to much sodium initially which is basically salt, so try salting your food more and or add green veges, this does make a big difference as i have had a few friends go on low carb diets and cant last more then a few days because they feel awful, adding sodium/salt helpe them to stick to the diet and feel better. You probably only need to do this for the first week of the diet due to the heavy water loss which taked alot of sodium with it.

Secondly, something that can help with sugar cravings and brain energy is an amino acid called glutamine, your body can use this as a quick energy source in a similar way to sugar bit without the energy crash and weight gain u get from sugar. For some reason i have found when using glutamine tablets/capsule i didnt get much effect but got good results with powder glutamine in a small glass of water, its very plain taste and only use it when u think u need a boost or have a sugar craving.

Tries these couple of tricks, hope they help.

ps, u could try supplementing with 5htp instead of antidepressants but talk to the doc about that one.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi Chelz,

There's a certain amt of variation between women, in terms of metabolism. Some people do well on a low carb diet; others do not.

While you are allowed a few grams of carb in phase 1, many people will enter a phase of metabolic switching, where the body shifts to burning fats. When fats are burned, ketones are produced. Ketones can be hard on the liver & kidneys, since they have to be metabolized to acetone & other chemical byproducts before passing out of the body.

There's no doubt that many people lose weight on ketogenic diets (or ketogenic phases of diets); however you will have to judge just how "worth it" the suffering phase is for you.

It may pay to remember that there is a certain arbitrariness to the length of a given phase in a published diet. If your fatigue, depression, etc. worsen, you DO have the power to make the call to move ahead into the diet phase that is a bit more liberal with carbs.

IME, low carb diets can be rough on those of us predisposed to depression. Not sure whether that is you, or not -- sometimes ADs are RXd for FM without primary depression symptoms.

Have you recently had a complete thyroid panel done, incl. free T3? There are a number of ways ADs promote weight gain. Many ADs contain chemical "groups" that interfere with thyroid metabolism.

A lower carb diet can also affect thyroid hormone production.

And be aware, if you are using the SB bars (not sure about their other products), these typically utilize soy protein, which in the long run is very unhelpful to thyroid function, if overused.

Good luck to you.
  4. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

10 days is not long enough to over come a sugar or carb addiction, which is sounds like you might have. (A lot of people don't realize they actually have an addiction because everyone in the U.S. eats these foods so it seems normal.) I had a sugar addiction and I'll have to look up how long it took me (bad memory you know) but I have in my mind in terms of month or months, not days. And longer to overcome the psychological addiction.

But stick with it, it's worth it. If you just can't make it add some carbs back in. Better to go slowly then not make it and give up.

I thought I had just liked sweet things but I found out it was an addiction . But once I got over it I found out I really didn't have a preference for sweet things! Same goes for processed carbs/bread-type foods for those who love/crave them.
  5. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I jumped the gun with an assumption! I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, Chelz. I didn't know that that phase 1 of the Southbeach diet was so strict! No carbs at all. I was thinking of the Southbeach diet in general which has carbs. No wonder you're feeling bad.
  6. Chelz

Chelz New Member

You didn't hurt my feelings :) Actually, you may be right. I may be dealing with a sugar/carb addiction since my cravings have just not gone away. However, today at work someone brought in a chocolate chip coffe cake, Oh how I wanted just a slice of that cake.

Well, I gave in. BUT, I only had a small slice, and to my surprise, it did not trigger a response to go back and get more, the small slice was just enough to help me over the spike.

I still think this means I may have an addiction, because I couldn't pass it up in the first place. I am way too hard on myself sometimes. Yes, phase 1 is really strict and I just couldn't believe how crabby I was, still am a little, but it is slowly getting better. I guess I just had to get over the hump of it.

As for the rest of the diet, I can get used to eating whole grain everything if I have too, I am still trying to figure out how I can get my sweet tooth satisfied once I follow this diet in the long run. The fact that I think about it all the time means that I have an addiction, I suppose. No hard feelings at all :) Hugs to all, Chelz.
  7. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

Aussiewoman is right that carbs are responsible for providing the building blocks for our bodies to make serotonin. That's why I've always beena little afraid of low- or no-carb diets. Those of us with FM/CFS tend to be low in serotonin anyway, so I'm not so sure this is a great idea.

How much longer are you supposed to be in Phase 1? I think if I were you I would do like another poster said and go ahead and start Phase 2 and see if you don't feel better.
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I start phase 2 on Monday the 19th. I bought some whole grain brown rice pasta and I will make me some of that on Monday. I can understand being afraid of low carb diets, and I do think it is true that we need carbs to make serotonin, makes perfect sense.

I just want to start eating the right carbs and like I said, I think I can with whole grain foods and vegetables. I will start to introduce an apple to my diet every other day. Today I experimented on a Phase 2 and Phase 3 sweet treat. Half a cup of low fat ricotta cheese, 1 teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder and one packet of stevia sweetener and mixed it all together almost like a pudding, it was DELICIOUS, with almost no sugar at all except the ricotta has a slight amount. Maybe this was so good because I haven't really had a treat in a while. But this receipe is definately a keeper. I will have to experiment with more when I'm not so fatigued.

I do believe the other two phases will be much better. Phase 1 is supposed to be kind of like a detox of sugar and starches from the body, but wow, we really do need some carbs because the fatigue and crabby attitude was not helping. My mother already noticed my weight loss, especially in my face and behind, I do feel lighter, not so bulky, but wow is was really hard.

So, the secret must be that you have to work hard at keeping yourself satisfied without blowing this way of eating. Not easy at all. But then again, I work so hard on trying to keep my FM symptoms in check, this is just yet another challenge I have to face. Thanks to you all for writing. I will officially weigh myself on Monday, I keep postponing it. Hugs, Chelz.
  9. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Hopefully once you get over the hump and are able to tell whether it's an addiction or not, you'll be able to know how much carbs and sweets you need. Eating wrongly clouds your thinking and addictions and the resulting cravings keep you from knowing what your body is really asking for. Some do better with more protein, some with more carbs.

I found I just need a small amount, like say, brown rice or another grain with 2 out of 3 meals and a little sugar like a piece of dark chocolate or some honey after dinner. If I eat too many carbs I feel bad and I can only tolerate a little sugar but for some reason I seem to do better with a tiny bit of sugar than with no sugar.

Maybe you'll find, like me who thought I had a sweet tooth that I didn't really have one at all. I found that for me it's rich sauces. I have a rich sauce tooth. :)

10. Chelz

Chelz New Member

LOL, me toooooooooooo. I love rich sauces, but always have. Now, if I eat them with whole grain pasta, just a serving I should be okay. My sweet tooth has gone down a little, but maybe that is because I'm too stubborn to blow this diet, and I want to succeed, so I stay away, hee hee :) But, if someone put some cookies, or brownies in front of me, and I'm having a very bad day....................I will give in :( So, maybe a part of all of this is just "emotional eating" as well.

And what you said is very true, I do better with a small amount of sugar, then none at all, not sure what that means either, but I don't want to over analyze everyting too.

No wonder why during the Christmas holidays when there are so many sweet offerings around, my judgement and thinking is so cloudy and extra slow, I swear, I'm beginning to think that sugar in excessive amounts is really the enemy for a lot of people.

I made zuchinni (spelling) the other day with a really good rich tomato sauce and it was delicious. Usually I will only eat vegetable if they are breaded, but that is a no no, so I really have to get inventive here. Hugs, Chelz.
  11. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

That makes me think of eggplant parmagian. (sp? don't feel like looking it up--I used to be a great speller till mercury damage) You don't need pasta, and it's yum!!. But I guess that's breaded? I'm sure we can find a way to make it without breading. I can't eat pasta, makes me feel bad, unless maybe it's rice pasta. Zucchini with pasta sauce reminds me of delicious rattatoui rattatuey ratattouey ratta tat tat, oh phooey!

It's amazing how good healthy food can be with the right recipe. You really have to cook if you want to eat well and that can be a challenge when you have CFS. I make big batches and we eat that for 3 or 4 days so I only cook twice a week.

Emotional eating and comfort food and bored eating, yep. If you're active you don't eat so much, but with CFS and resting all the time, hello food. My health problems also made me hungrier, I figured it was my body crying for nutrients, and calories for energy.

(And I agree, sugar (and High Fructose Corn Syrup) are really messing people up--it also weakens the immune system and who needs that, we surely don't)
  12. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member may want to think about changing your AD to a brand that doesn't promote weight gain. My doctor pulled the Paxil and switched me to Zoloft. However, I was also taken off of Lyrica and put on Savella. I've lost about 45-50lbs.

Good for you stepping up and choosing a healthier diet. A healthy diet does so much good for your body + the weight loss.

Hey Jam....I haven't heard of the peepy step, but I am a pro at the peepee dance:)

13. Chelz

Chelz New Member

No AD's for me. I was on Zoloft, Paxil, Elavil and Wellbutrin and these drugs caused me more health problems then my FM did. Actually, different doctors put me on these drugs back in the late 90's when I wasn't even diagnosed with FM yet.

After 100 pounds of weight gain from Paxil and Elavil, then Zoloft almost put me in the hospital, and Wellbutrin turned me into a maniac, I realized that these drugs are not for me in any way shape or form. I lost my job back in early 2002 because of additional health problems, doctor visits, and the pain of going through withdrawal, which was hell, I just added more misery to my FM because of these drugs. I don't believe one is any more safe than another of these drugs, at least not for my body.

Unfortunately, my thinking has slowed down considerably since these drugs, so, almost every doctor I see, I let them know, up front, that these drugs will not be a part of my life concerning FM or anything else. I did manage to lose about 50 of those pounds I gained, but my self esteem suffered terribly, it was a nightmare I will never forget, but thank you for the information anyway. Hugs to you, Chelz.