Day after first PT visit.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cczub, Aug 23, 2006.

  1. cczub

    cczub New Member

    I wasn't sure how my aqua PT was going to go.... Man do I hurt this morning.... I slept like a rock last night but the pain today..... It wasn't too bad while I was in the pool but litterally as soon as I got out of the pool my back went into spasm...

    I'm supposed to do this 3 times a week... I'll never survive. I go again tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

    Just wanted to give everyone an update.

  2. LittleBluestem

    LittleBluestem New Member

    Could you do it a little more gently until your body has a chance to adjust? The "slept like a rock" part sure sounds good.
  3. PVLady

    PVLady New Member

    You know what... I don't think PT is for everyone. If it makes you sick, stop it.

    I would never be able to to exercise in or out of water. I would be so sick, I already know it. I tried once.

    Please consider stopping. The doctor also sent my brother for PT and he got much worse, and she wanted him to stop.

    I would talk to the doctor before continuing.
  4. IntuneJune

    IntuneJune New Member


    I have not seen your prior posts about this.

    First and foremost, communication with your therapist. The first visit is difficult as the therapist has to fine your baseline line, and in FMS patients, it is difficult.

    How long did your session last, what was the temperature of the water, did you work your own muscles, or were they worked for you. What exactly was done in the pool?

    Folks who have a bad experience in the water need not give up. They need to cut back on time, endurance, or eliminate some exercises not appropriate.

    I am an aquatic exercise instructor, I teach an arthritis class, and mind/body class and aerobics.

    Our perception is different in the water as to the amount of exertion we are using..... the water supports our body, the water, while we are in the pool, tends to keep inflammatory responses at a minimum. But the next day, our FMS bodies are responding to the amount of exercise and exertion.

    I have just noticed by the dates, you have already had your second session. Hopefully, your therapist was responsive to your feedback. If not, then it is the THERAPIST, not the water that is the problem.

    Please tell us how you made out.

    Fondly, June

  5. IntuneJune

    IntuneJune New Member

    How did the second session go?

  6. cczub

    cczub New Member

    Been busy and tired and haven't been on the board until today. My first session lasted 1 hour, the next 2 lasted about 45 minutes. I've been doing basic muscle stretching and doing bicycling, scissors and cross country floating in the deep end of the pool. Friday's session wore me out and was EXTREMELY tired. However I HAD to work on the attic to have it in shape to get a hand at putting down carpet this upcoming weekend.

    I didn't get Sunday as an "off day" and worked until 3pm or so on the attic. I knew I'd be paying for it but figured I had planned on taking Monday off from work.

    That didn't happen and I paid for the weekend. Yesterday was a bad day but I still went to PT... I took it easier yesterday at PT and cut out the scissors and cross country. I"M DYING TODAY!!! You cant touch any part of my back from my neck down to my hips.. My arms are killing me and I'm exhausted.

    I go back tomorrow and that's it for this week. I can't handle more than 2 visits/week. I'm going to re-evaluate how the PT is going this weekend.

    Thanks for all the support...
  7. LittleBluestem

    LittleBluestem New Member

    Have you been discussing your reactions to the therapy with the therapist? As intunejune said, the problem could be the therapist, not the therapy.

    Is there a sauna available? Prickles suggestion sounded good to me.
  8. cczub

    cczub New Member

    The therapist cut down some of my stuff on Monday. I have told her how I felt after each visit. I do not believe there is a sauna there.

    I've been taking very warm showers afterwards. It the same when I use my parent's hot tub. I feel great when I'm in it and the pain level drops but within an hour of getting out I go right back to where I was. I guess the temporary relief is something.

    I also didn't get a day to rest like I have been doing so I think that plus the added PT is hurting me this week. I go again tonight and I'll think about what I want to do over the weekend. The PT place also wants me to do some excersizes there after the water therapy but I don't think I could handle it.
  9. louiesgirl2

    louiesgirl2 New Member

    I have to say, I was on aqua therapy and pt for several weeks 3 x a week. I had to stop. It made everything worse, I thought I was going to die.

    Little walks with my dog do me much better. Also my mini trampoline also helps.

[ advertisement ]