Days are long when you are home alone

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

The days are long when you are home alone and not feeling well enough to do much.

What do others do to besides haunt this message board? lol

hugs Redwillow
  2. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Nancy
    I am going to try out that email address you gave me. Look for a note from me.

hugs Redwillow
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

and LONELY when you're home alone!!! Even when I was working, I worked from home. It's very isolating and kind of depressing.

Now that I'm ill and am not working, I try to do a little reading and clean up the house a bit if I can get up the energy. (You'd think the house would be spotless, but it's still a big pile of clutter!)

I'm already tired (week #7 of being out of work) of doing research on FM/CFS, PBC, EBV, CMV, and anything else that's wrong with me!!!

TerryS
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Redwillow:

I usually watch tv or go over the net. I will join e-mail lists and read what others have to say about things.
    Then I change them and read on another topic.

I used to be able to read during the day, but my eyes are not the same way they used to be and i can not concentrate.

For whatever reason I do better here.

nyrofan
  6. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Wow you said what I have been thinking for a month!! I have been feeling lousy for a month and being here at home alone all day seems like FOREVER. Before I moved we lived with other people so I never had much time by myself. There was always someone home and I couldn't wait to move and have time to myself. Now I am wondering what I was thinking. It is lonely being here by myself. I miss having people around.

I turn the tv on although there isn't anything that I want to watch. I just turn it on to hear the sound of people. I put it on sports center. It is crazy because before I moved if I had time in the house by myself I would NEVER have the TV on. I would lay down on the couch and relax in silence...now I turn it on just to hear people. Other than that I just sit here on my computer.

Hopefully I will be feeling better soon so that I can do stuff to occupy my time. Until then I guess we just post away...maybe read.
  7. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I know the feeling all too well...sometimes in the morning I'm already wishing it was nighttime. Terrible way to think....wishing my life away.

I've gotton to where I spend a few hours a day on my laptop. I find I can concentrate for short spurts, so it is good for me. I really don't watch much TV, I enjoy the silence when I'm alone....

I have 2 dogs and 2 cats that are my constant companions...they are lifesavers for me. Do you have pets? Oh, you have the Goldens don't you? Terrible memory here.

I am so glad to have found this mb, you and the rest of the clan here are great to have around too!! We could swap emails sometime if you want...I've never gotton into the chat room, maybe we can make a date. :)

xxooo Hermit
  8. dahopper

dahopper New Member

I am so sorry the days are so long and lonely for you. For some reason I enjoy it....don't ask me why but when I do not feel well....which it seems to be most of the time now, I just want to be alone. I do have my fur babies and they keep me busy more than I like sometimes and they do keep me company. But what do I do ?? I set in my recliner normally with the TV off with my fur kids and stay on my laptop like I am doing now. Hang in there...I wish I could be some help to you. It is so not fun to be so sick.
    Love Debbie
  9. fieldmouse

fieldmouse New Member

Whoever is lonely can take my kids for a few days...I GUARANTEE...you will want a day alone...LOL....sorry...just had to throw that in.....Hugs to everyone...Mick!!
  10. Especially in the winter, I feel like I have cabin fever. I would LOVE to go out walking or riding a bicycle. Everyone I know works.
    I try to keep busy cleaning, reading, being on the computer, watch some tv. I just bought a book on knitting. Sometimes I think I will lose my mind from being cooped up so much.
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

I have my friends:

Regis and Kelly
    Ellen
    Joy, Rosie, Barbara, Elisabeth
    Katherine, Nikki, Sharon, Gloria, Victor, Drucilla, NIck
    Brooke, Thorn, Ridge, Taylor

Catch my drift
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Amen, sister! And winter is coming up so the days feel even longer. This will be my sixth year of retirement and first winter without my sweet cats. Even though I try not to fear, I'm having trouble not dreading it.

What do I do? I read. God bless books and my public library. I don't know what I'd do without them. Still, I need a hobby or something. Don't watch much TV, don't think it's good for my body to spend too much time sitting here, and it takes little time to keep my small nest tidy.

Tell you what; you guys should join the gang on the porch if you haven't already. It's on on-going scenario over there. (Porchlight's On Vol. whatever) Everyone is welcome - or set up another porch! No reason why we can't all be neighbors. It reminds me of our old conversation about Intentional Communities.

Marta
  13. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I have a lot of little tricks for dealing with being home alone. I'm in Year Six.

-read a good book

-pretend I'm on a vacation. A great, relaxing vacation, where all I have to do is think about being comfortable and eating something nice and basking in the glow of the boob tube.

-pretend I'm invisible and that my family just made me up so they wouldn't be lonely when they'd come home from work.

-look at my plant, talk to my plant. Did that leaf get a little bigger today? Turn my plant a bit so that it LOOKS different even if it isn't.

-pretend I've arived from another planet and look out the window as though I'm seeing the world for the first time

-feel the water in my water glass. Ooooh, wet.

-have mental conversations with famous people I'd like to meet

-re-live a memory, but change the ending on it so that I end up empressing a lot of people or being a hero :)

-make an extra trek up to the bathroom if I'm feeling really spry. Then, since I'm there already, take a look out the BACK window of the house!

-try to figure out how birds fly (they all do it a little differently)

-phone someone older and sicker or younger and healthier than me

-stare into the sky. It's huge in a way that blocks out thinking if you stare long enough

-think about how good it is to have a roof over my head, even if that particular spot of ceiling is getting too familiar

-eat very VERY slowly

-play my little flute while lying down. Close my eyes and pretend someone's listening.

-if something "bad" happens, quickly pick out the positives: I spilled some food on the rug. Yay! This REALLY breaks up the monotony, doesn't it?! How exciting! I wonder how much of this stuff I can get out? What should I use? he he he!

-think that it was really great of me to start useing small towels as bibs as I eat. I'll never stop patting myself on the back for that idea! Keeps the pajamas clean.

And, if all else fails, sob like a baby until it all comes out.
    ((hugs)) Shannon
  14. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I spend every day of the week home alone with me , my self & I. We don't do so much because we all get so tired.
    Even now as I sit here typing this I am having a struggle to keep my eye's OPEN as for some odd reason I am sleepy.

I get up in the mornings when my hubbies alarm goes off. I take my morning pain meds as well as a soma and eat breakfast and then I go down stairs and go back to sleep.

I will doze for a few hours , some days I have slept till 2 in the afternoon. I don't advise this but my body thinks it is tired.

MY worst times of the day are around 4 pm and again at 7 pm I just want to lay down and sleep. My eye's get sleepy and so heavy that they are hard to keep open and my brain shuts down too.

And I will have to lay down and get some rest . OR I can't function all night long and I can't sleep all night either.

I sometimes feel like my grandson when he misses his nap , he gets so tired and sleepy but he will NOT go to sleep at night as he is just to tired.

I do try to get up and do some laundry and do my dishes and clean the living room and I know that one day I will find my kitchen table and clean it also. But it is not going to be today.

I watch TV and read alot. I need to get started on doing some tole painting for christmas. I don't like being alone at night. AS it really makes me feel on the paniced side. I hear things then that when I am home during the day time I don't hear.

But at night noices are LOUDER and I swear that I can hear voices talking in my house. That comes from the neighbors living so close to my house and I have had a window opened for some air.
    I am working on trying to be more productive and not sleep as much, so that I can have a cleaner house. But that is just me. Most of the time I am so sleepy that I will lay down and fall alseep on my couch.

This is just what I do. I don't like being alone. So on days that I feel good I go voer to my MOM's and take her shopping for food and it gets the both of us out of the house and we have someone that we can talk with. That helps me alot.

I have been helping take car of my mom during this past summer as she has had several infections and a compression fracture. And now she is not getting HHC as she does not qualify anymore.

So we do try to go out and walk to gether to that she gets the exercise that she needs to help her with her balance. And it really does not hurt me to get moving more. I must get more tired is the only problem.

HOpe that this helped you some.
    Smile it makes people wonder what your up to.

HUGS,
    Rosemarie
  15. MsE

MsE New Member

I also live alone and some days it is really difficult. I've been trying to make myself get out of the house at least once each day. Fortunately I live in a small town, so going into town is easy.

I find/make up excuses to get into town even if gas is expensive because I absolutely need to see people. Sometimes I go to the library, sometimes I treat myself to lunch, sometimes I meet a friend, sometimes I just wander through some of the shops (we have a scad of antique and second-hand shops), and sometimes I have appointments.

I take a history class on Tuesdays and I belong to a writing group that meets on Wednesdays.

Although these "outings" may be slow paced, they get me out of the house and that is necessary for my sanity. I figure the money spent on gas is money I don't have to spend on heavy-duty therapy.
  16. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

But, the days don't seem long to me. In fact, now that I'm sick, everything takes so much longer. I'm usually on the computer in the a.m., then soak in the hot tub, shower, get ready for the day, and oops, it's already 1:pm! I have my first meal of the day, walk my puppy, get the mail, and before you know it, I'm ready for a 2 hour nap.

My feeling is, where does the day go???
    LOL
    Mini
  17. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Wow thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. Today is a better day for me and I think it was partly because of all the thoughtful responses that everyone gave me.
    I don't feel so alone!

What I like is that no one here says "oh dear, don't be silly, you shouldn't feel like that!" All of you understand and send caring, thoughtful messages of support!

hugs to all of you
    I am smiling from ear to ear!
    Redwillow
  18. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

So glad you're having a better day today. I'm actually enjoying the peace and quiet and going to try and take a nap. I'm really paying for that trip to Vegas, I am still wiped out!

xxxooo Hermit
  19. Beachtrekker1

Beachtrekker1 New Member

I would love to hear from anyone who is alone. It is a horrible place to be in, especially when the pain and everything else is so terribly bad. I could use all and any advice I could get.
  20. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I am also about to go nuts not being able to work! I go for walks on days I am able. I love to read but I want to see people during the day. Most of my friends work, so once in awhile I see them if I can catch them on their days off. I'm not a big tv watcher I like to watch movies at nite but would rather do other things during the days.
    My youngest is in school he is a junior this year my daughter works she is 21 my other son is in the air force,I feel kind of useless! Even though their is things to do like laundry but who wants to clean all day? That is boring in it self I straighten up when I get up and do laundry vacuum on my good days etc. Then somedays I get so depressed not having a place to have to be!