Daytime muscle relaxants?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by butterfly83, Nov 22, 2006.

1. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

Is anyone taking muscle relaxants during the day? And are they helpful?

I am getting ready to discuss how I am doing with my pain management doctor and I was thinking about whether I might be able to add in a muscle relaxant to my regular pain meds to improve my daytime pain, which is still fairly limiting.

I take 2 Soma at night. I have tried a few muscle relaxants, but only ones at night, not during the day. I was thinking about whether adding something like Flexeril, which wasn't strong enough for me at night (when my symptoms feel the worst), but it might be just enough for during the day when I need something that is not going to make me loopy, but might help my pain some.

Any input would be appreciated.
  2. caffey

caffey New Member

Unfortunately most muscle relaxants will make you sleepy. Some worse than others. I found flexeril is awful taken in the day. Talk about space cadet.lol. Bacolfen wasn't too bad. Maybe you could take 1/2 a pill. Whatever you do don't drive if you are taking them. Or what about robaxacet. That can be purchased over the counter. Again if you take 1/2. A little is better than nothing. I don't know if I helped or not. All the best.
    Cath
  3. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

Zanaflex. It's what I use. It did take a little experimentation -- the 2 mg. tablet is right for me in the daytime; 4 mg. makes me too sleepy.

My dr. did have me try Skelaxin for a while. I found it WAY too strong for me even on the lowest recommended dose. But I've heard some others think it works wonderfully.

I suspect it will probably take some experimentation -- as with all our other treatments!

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  4. Jillian40

Jillian40 New Member

I am able to take Skelaxin or Robaxin during the day without much tiredness, but Flexiril puts me right asleep.

However, having said this, I was taking a larger dose of Flexiril for nighttime use.

Like it was said, medicines affect everyone differently.

I think what it did for me was to help with muscle spasms, like my feet curling up in a spasm, my shoulders feeling tight and burning.

I wish you well,
    Jillian
  5. IowaMorningGlory

IowaMorningGlory New Member

I was on flexeril for a year or so. The main thing it did do is if I felt a tension headache coming on, the aura, I would take flexeril to relax my muscles in the back of my neck. It would help curtail the migraine alot of the time.

Now it doesn't do anything.

I take Lyrica and Ultram. The Lyrica relaxes me more than anything ever has. It does make you sleepy when you first start taking it though.

Like others have said, everyone is different it will take some experimentation. Everyone reacts differently to different meds.

Flexeril is a good place to start though.

Take care and kitten hugs,
    Blessed Be,
    Laurie
  6. suzetal

suzetal New Member

in the morning and at 2 pm and than bedtime.

I have been on it for a year now.I don't know why but it does not make me sleepy I still need to take an ambien at night with the soma to fall asleep.

It does not help with my pain .It does take away the spasms in my back and in my legs.

Sue
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I take Norflex (another muscle relaxant) usually in the morning after I get to work. I don't notice any side effects from it other than what it's intended to do.

Regards,

Eileen
  8. MaLuce

MaLuce New Member

Butterfly83,
    I do take muscle relaxants during the day, and do well.
    One thing my dr told me was that Soma is now not in the protocal for FM or CFS. Says it makes us worse. They switched me to Flexeril and added Provigil. I am not napping all day and I am getting pain and muscle spasm relief with the Ultram that I take as well.