Daytime pain meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lin-z, Jan 16, 2006.

1. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I have been going through a really bad pain period and cant function during the day. I am wondering what any of you take during the day that doesnt 'wack' you out.

The otc meds dont seem to make a dent in this overall pain but I also dont want to be in la la land.(actually I do but thats not feasible lol) All I have is ultram and I havent taken it during the day yet...Any thoughts?
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I have great pain in the morning so I take a Vicodin and get going. I usually take one in the afternoon after my activities. I have found the days I take three, I wake up feeling much less pained, but you know how docs are. I survive with two and it's OK for now. My doc is very understanding so if things get really bad, he will help.

Acutally, I have been doing better the last couple months, and when I saw the doc, he was very encouraged...weight coming down, good blood pressure (I take meds), and feeling more positive.

But the pain...it's there. Hope you figure out a way to help yourself.

Sue
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I take it in the morning if I wake up in a lot of pain. Almost every afternoon.

I have two different strengths. I usually take a 500 in the morning and another in the afternoon. If I am still in bad shape when I get home I take a 750.

Doc wants me to take a 750 morning and night, but I'm afraid they won't work anymore if I take too many. Besides I get a little silly when I take a 750 at work! It's happened though. Have to really watch myself when that happens!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Don't forget to stop and smell the puppies!
  4. JLH

JLH New Member

You said that all you have is Ultram and that you haven't taken it during the day yet.

Maybe you should try it during the day .. it is non-narcotic and "shouldn't" make your sleepy and feel like you are in la-la land.

If that isn't enough during the day, about 2 hrs after you take your Ultram, take 600 mg of ibuprofen.

You can add ibuprofen with your other pain meds as long as you are NOT taking any other arthritis-type NSAIDs for inflammation.

This should help your pain.

Hugs,
    Janet
  5. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

My new Rheumy convinced me that taking 10 mgs in the a.m. will help me with pain through out the day. He suggested I work my way up to the whole 10 mgs since it makes me sleepy. So for the last 2 months I have been taking one in the am, one when I get home from work around 4:00 and if necassary 1 at bedtime.

The other med he added at the same time was Elavil (75 mgs is my ideal) - between the two changes (knock on wood) I have only managable pain and I only take Tylenol occasionally for a headache. It is truly amazing the progress I am making - I have lost 8 lbs since the begining of the year and am able to walk for exercise again.

Ok - I will stop rambling about this Dr. but he is one of the top doctors in the country and in Chicago.
    Nancy
  6. lin-z

lin-z New Member

I do have a scrip for ultram but it says to take at bedtime. I think I will take it when I get up because I really cant start my day for hours due to pain. My rheumy is a butt head and wont give me anything else and even said if this doesnt help you then I cant either. Well nice attitude! So I appreciate you telling me what works for you to help you get going

Lindsey
  7. janieb

janieb New Member

I tried many pain medications over the years, but nothing seemed to work. Now I use Tramadol and for now it usually works and doesn't leave me with fibrofog. Two years ago I took early retirement because I couldn't cope with the 60 hour work week, as well as running a household. Fortunately, I had a very understanding boss or I would not have made it that long.

In the past I tried Noratriptaline?, but found I had to check all my work at least three times to make sure it was correct. Maybe it works for some people, but I will never take it again.

Good luck.