Dealing with aftermath...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sarahfemme, Jun 10, 2003.

1. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

I've suffering the aftereffects of a bad automobile accident. On may 29, some jerkette talking on a cell phone ran a red light and tried to park her van in the driver's side front seat of my car. My car was totalled but I was very lucky-no major injuries. I'm hobbling around with a cane and cervical collar and have limited use of my left hand but am relatively ok. Thank G-d no-one else was hurt. She's been charged and has to appear in court. BUT dealing with her fly-by-night insurance company has been a logistical nightmare. My new pain doc upped my Neurontin and pt me on a new muscle relaxer called Zanaflex, whch really helps but also zonks me out. (Would appreciate hearing from anyone else taking it.) I'm missing work and can't do chore for awhile so am feeling pretty useless. I'm trying not to get too depressed and to handle all the details-getting to doc and hosp appts, getting to work when I'm able to again (with no car?!?), etc, etc. But I'll try to get back on the board now that I can hunt and peck. Just wanted to say hey y'all and tell why I suddenly disappeared.

-Sarah
  2. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

If you haven't already done so, get yourself a personal injury attorney. Replacement of your car is a separate claim from your injuries. The insurance will try to low ball the value of your car. You need to fight this and get it replaced by something of an equal value. It will help tremendously if your car is either a special edition or had very low milage. As far as your medical claim goes, the attorney will want about 1/3 of the final settlement. Believe me on this - 2/3 of something is a heck of a lot more than 100% of nothing. In the meantime, get to all of your medical appointments. The final value of your claim is based on the amount of your medical expences. Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Kate
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

OMG, I am so very sorry to hear this. I am very happy that you appear to be OK, but be careful as these kinds of injuries have a way of appearing down the road or worsening down the road. Mine didn't show up til six months later. Take care of yourself and know that you are in my prayers.

Love, Mikie
  4. sarahfemme

sarahfemme New Member

I've already gotten an attorney for personal injuries. He's very well-regarded in the community and seems to get large settlements for his clients. I'm not out for blood, just recompense for injuries, lost wages, and emotional trauma. To tell you the truth, the thought of driving now scares me to death and I have intense anxiety just being a passenger in a car. I suspect that even when I can drive, I'll be taking the bus a lot. Sigh. Just when things were going better....

-Sarah