dealing with flare ups and other stuff

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CatofDoom, Apr 25, 2006.

1. CatofDoom

CatofDoom New Member

i'm in the middle of a bad flare and i had a couple questions. i'm pretty new to FM, though i've read a lot about it there isn't anyone that i know in my town that has it. so if it's okay i'd like to ask some questions.

how do you handle and deal with flares?

do you use heat or cold to ease your pain?

what medications have helped you in your day to day life?

how do you cope with the fatigue and pain everyday?

how do you stay positive and not sink into depression?

that's all i can think of off the top of my head...please take the time to answer some of these, i would really appreciate it. thanks!
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

bumping for more replies
  3. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I'm sorry to hear you're in the midst of a flare. It's the worse place to be and many most all of us on this board can relate. I've answered your questions as best I'm able and hope you find my answers helpful.

how do you handle and deal with flares?

The best thing I've learned is not to fight a flare up - just go with the flow and trust the pain will ease up at some point. (I'm never pain-free but my day-to-day pain is somewhat less than my flare pain.)

Rest, rest, rest. Take time out from any activities that you don't think you can handle. It's a fine line though, sometimes it's good to push yourself that little bit because it may help to get out and about. If you have to cancel an engagement, don't feel guilty.

Don't blame yourself. This illness, this pain is not your fault.

I use a variety of helpful aids such as canes, a walker, a reacher, back brace, neck brace, wrist braces, TENS unit.

do you use heat or cold to ease your pain?

Generally I use heat but when the pain is very bad, I alternate between heat and ice. This helps to break the cycle of pain.

what medications have helped you in your day to day life?

Celexa & Wellbrutin- anti depressants
    Trazadone - anti d that helps with sleep
    pain killers - I've had this illness for a long time and have tried many different pain killers with varying degrees of success. At the present I use hydromorph contin & methadone

I take many other meds for other and various conditions. I also use supplements. They include:

magnesium
    calcium
    omega 3 - 6 - 9
    vitamin D
    Multi - vitamin

how do you cope with the fatigue and pain everyday?

I use this board for support.

I pace myself with all activities. When I'm working on something (for example light housework) I typically I take a little rest every ten minutes.

I foster a positive attitude.

I take care of my health, go for regular check ups.

When I'm housebound. I do things I enjoy, read, watch movies, computer, etc/

how do you stay positive and not sink into depression?

I take my antidepressants faithfully.

I walk every day whether I feel like it or not.

I connect with at least one person (other than family) once per week. I don't work anymore so this is important.

I avoid the urge to isolate

I accept the down days and don't push myself too hard.

I read a lot of spiritual and inspirational literature.

I watch my diet, avoid high fat, high sugar, high sodium foods

God bless,
    Anne Theresa