Dealing With Humiliation

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Hippo, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Hippo

Hippo New Member

As some of you may remember, I had neuro-psychological testing last week and the doctor called me Tuesday with the results. I am now in possession of his three-page written report which will go to my attorney and I guess ultimately to the divorce judge.

The report is strongly in my favor, but I can't help but feel a little humiliated as the doctor detailed the problems I had with the tests, including confusion, becoming frustrated easily and swearing. He commented on my "poor grooming" and my inability to cope with the challenges of the testing.

Everything he said was true, but it still makes me cringe. Anyone else have these feelings? Thanks.

Hippo
  2. IgotYou

IgotYou New Member

The most humiliating thing for me is when people come over unexpectedly and see my house! But I'm also humiliated when I can't remember simple things, or I ask or tell someone something that I've apparently asked or told them many times before, but don't remember. People are always shocked at my stupidity because they know I'm a smart person.
  3. fullarmor

fullarmor New Member

I feel humiliation too. Mostly at work. Some days I'm in too much pain to lift my hands up and blowdry and style my hair, so it ends up looking like a big mop on my head, and I just look so sloppy. People have made comments like "gee, must have been a long night!" or "gee, someone was running late." And I hate to have to explain myself, so I just let it go. And I get so embarrassed when I can't speak right from the fog, and I end up making a fool out of myself, stuttering, and not being able to complete my sentences. I try to remember that it's all a part of an illness, and has nothing to do with me as a person. I wouldn't be embarrassed if I had diabetes. But it's so difficult at times, and such is life with this DD!
  4. Hippo

Hippo New Member

Thank you for asking about my hair--I wash it every other day, and the day I saw the doctor, it was an "off" day. So technically it was clean, but the doctor perceived it to be unwashed. The other problem I have with my hair is that it is fine, thin, and has no body. So even though it is clean and combed, it looks like I just slept on it. You're right about the no jewelry and no makeup, and yes, I was dressed casually. I agree, I wish he had chosen his words better, but I'm going to have to learn to let this go.

Hippo
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I am so sorry; I know how humiliating our illnesses can be. I am glad, however, that the severity of your illness is documented. In the end, it will be helpful to you.

Remember who you are; that hasn't changed. Be kind and love yourself as you would your own child.

Love, Mikie