Dealing with overheating, hot flashes, etc

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AuntTammie, Aug 7, 2009.

1. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

In another thread, FibroFay brought up the question of how people deal with the overheating that can be a side effect of certain meds. Since many of us have problems dealing with overheating, excessive sweating, hot flashes, night sweats, etc, whether from meds, or menopause, or just as a result of the ME/CFS/FM, I thought it would be good to start a separate thread just on this subject. I think that it has come up before, but I haven't seen anything mentioned in awhile. So, I am starting a new thread on the subject. Please share any tips that you have for staying cool. Thanks!
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I don't have any ideas, however I plan to do what someone else said in the other post about taking off your shoes and socks.

Maybe this is why I like to wear sandals.

I just thought of something. I have to cool down slowly. If I walk into a cold room, I find that at first I get hotter before cooler. But just knowing that this might happen, helps.

I think this is along the lines of giving room temperature water, not cold water to someone who is overheated.

Good thread and am anxious to read other's suggestions.

3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

For the past two years I have been complaining about my ME getting much worse. I have now realized that in actual fact it is probably the symptoms of perimenopause that I have been assuming were ME. I'm in the process of reading three books about nutrition and hormones and hoping that some of the suggestions from these books will help. I don't want to go on HRT, whether it is bio-identical, or not. For me that will be a very last resort after I have exhausted all other avenues.

I definitely think that nutrition can be a factor in symptoms. I'm cleaning up my diet, taking supplements (I've been really bad in the past for sticking to doing this daily), cut out sugar (I'm on day 4), and adding in things like flaxseed, kefir, nuts and seeds, and soy.

I'm really bad about sticking to new eating plans, however, this time I am motivated to stick to it. These past few weeks have been h*ll and I definitely don't want to be going through this for the next five or more years. For me the hardest part is going to be giving up the sugar. I've eaten more sugar in the past few years than I've ever had before. I was reading yesterday that one of the symptoms of peri is cravings for sugar. Makes sense now!

Three things for staying cool are supposedly cutting out sugar, alcohol, and spicy foods from your diet.
  4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I think that, in general, people who tend to be hot all the time supposedly have fast metabolisms..... <big sigh> if only that were true for me, I would be sooooo is it that I can burn up and still gain weight at the drop of a hat, feel nauseous almost all the time and even be actually throwing up and still hungry, etc? LOL, I realize that this is not exactly on the topic I started here, but it was just occurring to me that if I have to have all sorts of bad effects from being sick, at least it would be nice if I could get some good effects, too, but nope, it doesn't seem to work that way ; ) oh well.....anyway, thanks for the responses so far - some good ideas....hopefully we'll get a few more, too
  5. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

are becoming more frequent...What I do is wear one of those neck scarves that have the gel seeds in them..You soak them in water for around 30min. The "seeds" fill up w/the water & you put them around your neck of course, then that surely helps your neck & head.

Buy a personal fan you can wear around your neck, cool baths/showers, no covers at nite, a lite nitey, put a cold cloth over your face. cool drinks, stay away from anything hot/warm to drink. Putting your feet in a cool tub of water, add mint or epsom salts. Sit under a ceiling fan, carry some wipes in your purse to use on your face & hands. Suck on ice cubes...Getting your hair wet & letting it air dry is another good thing.

That's all I can come up w/right now...Good luck to all of you...I'm thinking of you all & praying the savella & natural "sweats/flushes" from the ME/CFS are short lived...

6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Where do you get these scarves? I am going to an outdoor event tonight and it is very humid.

Something like the scarf would be perfect.

I guess I could Velcro some ice cubes to a scarf, but I don't think it would look as nice!!

My hair also curls up in the heat. After 45 years of doing everything to keep my hair straight. I finally found a person who cut my hair so it looks okay if I just let it curl naturally and all I have to do is put a bit of gel to tame the frizzies.

Maybe I will just stand by the refrigerator and stick my head in every once in a while.

[This Message was Edited on 08/08/2009]
  7. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

This is a good thread. Thank you again for starting it. Lots of good stuff!

Hugs, Fay
  8. Juloo

Juloo Member

I carry a small fan around the house when I'm doing housework (or even just sitting). We've been trying very hard to keep the AC at 4 degrees warmer than last year (our energy bills have skyrocketed), so I need the extra coolness if I'm moving around.

Unfortunately, my doctor says it is NOT menopause (darn, 'cause if it were, this would all be over soon, right?), but the factors for me are: SNRIs, fiddling with my thyroid meds (I'm undergoing a re-adjustment right now), hydrocodone (temporarily on this due to a shoulder injury), prednisone (also temporary for shoulder), genetic predisposition to live above the Arctic Circle (only partly kidding), and a caffeine habit that I'm trying to break.

I carry a folding fan in my purse. My husband takes one look at me and immediately feels sorry for me. We live in Florida, so there's not much natural relief from miserably hot temperatures except a couple of months a year.

On the other hand, before I started on the SNRI (first was actually SSRI), I would get miserably hot and red, but would not significantly perspire. The SSRI/SNRI allows me to perspire (like a waterfall), but after 30 minutes to an hour I actually cool down. By that time, it's too late for what I'm wearing. But at least I'm more comfortable.
  9. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

& you will get many sites to contact. I'm sure you'll find some buys on some of them...

Keep cool;
  10. outdoorsy girl

outdoorsy girl New Member

wholly, humid heatwave, batman!!!

from always freezing the first 38yrs of life, to a crank'in heat box the past....few, lol....(age giveaway.hahaha.) ok, so for the past 5yrs, i'm a sweat monkey.

horrific night sweats from head to toe & daytime hot flashes... i soak my sheets & pillows then have to change those or move to the sofa.

fan: absolutely!! where ever i go, hubby hates it.

intimacy: only if i don't want or need to breathe, nothing is said about my fan(s) then. lol

ice water: mostly ice in a thermal mug next to where i'm well as, a Frozen wash cloth.

pool: thank God we have a pool!! i get in there with clothes or suit on.

Dri Fit apparel...shirts, shorts, pants, undergarments is very helpful.
    Dri Fit technology wicks moisture away from your skin, quickly drying so you stay dry.

$$$ prices for Dri Fit apparel is found on,,, or like sites., can give excellent product info.

Menapause websites.

thanks all you HoTTies for this topic.

[This Message was Edited on 08/10/2009]
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Since I'm mostly bedbound I have fans strategically pointed at my beds on remote control. I go from burning to freezing and back again and often do both at the same time. :
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2009]
  12. outdoorsy girl

outdoorsy girl New Member

does sweating & freezing at the same time cause you body pain?
    it does me...i can't stand it.

hope you sleep well tonight.

13. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

I don't think being hot has anything to do with a fast motabolism. I am 40 pounds over weight and just cannot seem to lose although my sweats have been terribly severe for the past 6 or more years.
  14. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

thanks for all the responses, everyone....some good ideas, and nice to know I'm not the only one with the hot and cold at the same time thing (oh such fun!)

and FibroFay, I'm glad to help : )
  15. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

help--the reusable kind. I have several at home & at least one at work.

I know some people can't use ice, but it helps at times--especially when my lower back or shoulder is hurting.

Sometimes I use ice pack on lower back and the heating pad on low on my shoulder/neck.

Some people can put their feet on an ice pack to cool off--my feet are generally cold so I don't do that anymore.
  16. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Can anyone tell me where to buy those pretty little folding fans you can carry in your purse? The kind our mothers and grandmas used in church services. I've looked for these in stores and never found any.

Thanks and Keep Cool!

Hugs, Fay
  17. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

The only places I have seen those types of fans lately have been the Chinese import stores.
  18. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

that i am having are related to pre menopause.

i've been diagnosed with Fibro for years and the past few months began unbearable Hot Flashes during the day.

I just began taking the Estrogen Free Black Cohosh Menopause Complex.
    1 white tab in morning and the red tab at bedtime.

Hope i see the Hot Flashes to ease up.

Wish you all well
  19. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I just googled Chinese paper fans and this is the first site that came up....there are lots of fans on there and they are relatively inexpensive.....also other sites came up, but I don't have the time to look at them, but this should have what you're looking for...
  20. FibroFay

FibroFay New Member

Thanks Ladies.

I'm going to check out that website when I get a chance. I've been on overload trying to catch up on housework, etc.

I saw a beautiful fan recently at a local flea market. I wish I'd have bought it.

It would be nice if these fans came back in style. I know I, for one would love to have a few of these.

Best wishes to you.