Dealing with the depression

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mnweb6, Aug 21, 2006.

1. mnweb6

mnweb6 New Member

Hi everyone...I haven't posted on here for a long time, partly because I lost my internet connection for a while, and because I was trying to forget that I had FM. I graduated from Cosmetology school over a month ago, and ever since, the depression has just overwhelmed me! I have never been the type of person to go more than a day without a shower, and now I am finding any excuse to cancel any appointment...doctor's included, and even going outside. I have taken a total of 3 showers over the past 2 weeks...I don't have the energy. Nothing makes me happy, and just thinking of that makes me even more depressed.

I am scheduled to have Gastric By-Pass surgery on August 31st, and maybe the anxiety of this is causing the additional depression. I was encouraged for a couple of day's when I found out that a study found that overweight people with FM that had this surgery 92% had a significant decrease in pain and increase in quality of life. I just don't know what my life is going to be like after.

I rememeber when I first found this site, I was feeling similar feelings (depression), so I thought I would post and hopefully start feeling better...

Thank you for listening! I kinda feel a little better just posting it...

One of the things that is bothering me is that my pain has increased, and my doctor refuses to up my doses of pain meds because of my upcoming surgery. I do understand this, but it doesn't make the pain stop. I am scared of the pain after surgery. I hope that they understand the FM stuff, and don't label me a drug seeker...I may have to stay in the hospital for a week, and I am afraid to be alone. I don't have family, and I am afraid that no one will come and see me.

SO...I will probably be arround this site for the next 10 day's quite a bit...If anyone gets annoyed or upset by this, you can let me know...just realize that I will be gone for a while, so maybe that will make up for it!

Thanks for your support!!

Mindy
  2. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

First of all- CONGRATULATIONS on graduating from cosmetology school!! That is quite an accomplishment. Just wanted to give you a cyberhug and let you know you are not alone. Many of us here deal with depression as a MAJOR component of this illness. Mine has been almost incapacitating at times this past year. I have been on and off medications and nothing has really helped me. So much can contribute to our depression, including the meds we take for pain as well as other health conditions which many of us have.

I pray that your surgery will go very well for you, and that your doctors will be knowledgable and understanding and give you appropriate pain medication!! Do you have some friends or relatives that you could "recruit" ahead of time to come see you in the hospital? Even if it's not every day, every little bit would help. I know what you mean about not wanting to be alone.

Don't worry about being on here alot in the next few days, that's what we're here for!

I'll be thinking about and praying for you.

God bless,
    Julie
  3. sascha

sascha Member

Mindy- you've got an awful lot going on. not so surprising that you're feeling down. but you are working on possible solutions, so give yourself some credit.

you don't know yet how things will work out, and that's unsettling, but as you said, people in your condition have gotten help following this route. just hand on, and soon you will see.

and good for you for taking steps- best of luck- sascha
  4. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

Good luck with yours. It's probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Which surgery are you having? I had RouxNY. And anxiety and fear before-hand is normal. If you're not anxious, see a shrink! LOL

Don't be surprized if you wake up after the surgery thinking "What have I done!!! Take it back!!!" That is so normal.

I have my own website. Feel free to check it out, and ask any questions. http://www.wwwws.com/wls/mypage.cfm?pid=2

This site should be OK to post. I'm not selling anything.

God Bless.

BTW...I checked out your pic on your profile. You're beautiful!
  5. jake123

jake123 New Member

If you are not on an antidepressant, you should be. If you are and you are still feeling this way, tell your doctor.
    I know how you feel about the shower. You and I both know that you DO feel better if you take a shower at the same time of day - every day. Set your alarm and jump in.
    Buy yourself some wonderful soap or shampoo for inspiration. Do your toenails one day and your fingernails the next day. Apply lots of lotion to your hands and feet. Give yourself a rest while you drink your water and watch a little bit of TV.
    I teach so I get up at 5:00. I am at the coffee shop to drink coffee with my friends at 6:00 and at school by 7:00.
    It helps to have a routine.
    You will have pain medication after your surgery - talk to your doctor. Ask him if you are going to have to tough it out without pain medication and tell him that you are worried about that. If he is a decent doctor he will put your worries at ease.
    You will do fine, I just know it! Hugs, Jake
  6. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i have been there so many times....and when not taking a shower is not a prioty...i know i am depressed...i have gone days...etc...it is embarrassing to admit it...but it is the truth..i had my son tell me one time i need to shower...i would just get the baby wipes out...and wash that way...

put on make up when i knew i had to be in public and people that would know me or i might run into...i didn't want to look as bad as i felt inside...

seek some help....it will help...make some small goals for yourself..

right now i am so tired i don't know how i am going to keep up this college schedule...i have other things going on as well..

but i know when i feel the depression coming on...it really never leaves alone....

hugs

jodie