Dealing with toddler discipline when you have CFS/Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jonescat, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Jonescat

Jonescat New Member

Help!!!

My 19-month old son has been driving me crazy lately. He does not listen to "no" and continues to do the very thing I'm telling him not to do like slam a wooden block on the hardwood floor, throw his food and sippy cup on the floor from his high chair and numerous other frustrating and irritating things. I know it's hard to deal with a toddler when you're healthy but what about us folks with CFS/Fibro? Today, I just wanted to lie on the couch and take it easy but I kept having to pop up and say "no" and then take the block away from my son. Does anyone else have to deal with this? If so, how do you manage? I really do not want to start spanking and I think he's a little young to understand time out. Also, will I have any hair left on my head by the time he starts kindergarten or will I have pulled it all out in frustration!
  2. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

challenge, I know. I have a four year old boy, very active with special needs. When he was that age I tried to tell him WHAT I DID WANT. Keep the food on the tray! Play gently with your toys and such. Then praise, praise, praise whenever you see him behaving the way you want him to! Yes, it is exhausting and certainly no guarantee that he won't need reminding numerous times(lol). Distraction and redirection work at that age but again I know it is exhausting for you!

If possible find a sitter so you get a break once in a while. Even a mother's helper/teenager where you can just get a nap. It is hard to be "on" for 12 hours a day!

Haven't lost my hair yet, but I have a lot more grays now!
  3. suzetal

suzetal New Member

I babysit her on Tuesdays and Thursdays.she is 17 months old.

What I have done is put a big quilt on the floor and thats were she has her play area.When she does not want to listen we have a time out chair .We started the chair about a month ago.

She does understand now that when Nana says no it means no.I give her one shot.Ill say no thats bad.If she tries it again I say time out.

I put her in that chair .At first she would get up from it but I kept putting her back saying time out Nana said no.Now shes staying on the chair.

Sometimes she will go to throw something off her play area looks at me and says no no and put it down.

It works for me a specific play area and the time out chair.

Oh and when she started to throw her lunch
    on the floor.I would tell her OK your done.I clean her up and take her out of her chair.She would than ask me about an hour latter cookie Nana.I tell her no and make her another lunch sit her in her chair and tell her to eat than Nana give cookie.Works like a charm she no longer throws her food on the floor.

I hope this helps.No need to spank use time out.It works.He may scream and cry don't let him win.In the end he will get it that you mean business.

Good luck
    Sue