Dealing With Working Full Time

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TReil, Nov 19, 2005.

1. TReil

TReil New Member

I'm still in the process of finding out WHAT is wrong with me. I don't know if it's CFS or Adrenal Gland Stress Disorder or Narcolepsy or the Zoloft I take. What I'm wondering about is, how do you deal with working and having these problems? Here's the scoop:

I can not remember a time in my 34 years that I have NOT felt tired. Over the last year in a half or so, it has gotten worse. I sleep fine. I have no muscle or joint pain. The main issue is, I can't stay awake. I HAD sleep apnea but have it no more. I HAD asthma and it's also gone. In the last year/year in a half, we bought a house; I had Gastric Bypass surgery, big/stressful issues with my daughter’s father and now the constant fear of losing my job. I drink TONS of coffee where I never did before. I have a HORRIBLE memory. I can't concentrate. My weekends consist of waking around 5:30/6AM, eating breakfast and staying up for an hour or so, going back to bed, getting up again around 12/1PM, eating lunch and staying up for an hour or so and going BACK to bed till 5PM or so. In a 2 week span, I HAVE to take at least one day off of work to sleep ALL DAY. As an employee, how do you explain to your boss "I'm not able to come in cuz I'm tired", as if other people aren't. How do you explain that there IS a physical problem that's making you tired? How do you make them understand? It IS a medical issue but people don't get it. I'm just at a loss here. I don't know what it is that's wrong or how to rectify it. I'm not teaching my 13 year old daughter good habits either. Everyone always tells me that my problem is I need to do regular exercise, well, when you have no energy or ambition, it's rather hard to do that also. So, anyone have suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tammy
  2. XKathiX

XKathiX New Member

Sorry to hear of your problems. I would have thought Chronic Fatigue but usually there are other symptoms (swollen glands, sore throats, etc). I wouldn't think the Zoloft would do that too you and I don't know much about narcolepsy at all.

My boss has Chronic Fatigue and has to work at home one day a week to save some energy. She got a doctors note to be able to do that. I'm not sure what your work situation is and if you can do anything like that.

I would say get better sleep on the weekends but it certainly seems like that is not a problem.

I hope you get some answers soon.

-Kathi
  3. bubblesgirl

bubblesgirl New Member

Hi Tammy

Sorry that you are having such a hard time at the moment.As I read your post I thought how stressed out you were sounding. Seems to be have been a lot of issues happening with in the year that have added to your problems. Do you have any holiday time that you could take that might help.

Also to re-read what you have posted here, have you moved into a house that you like? Have you fully recovered from your op? Why are you drinking TONS of coffee? Have you resolved the issues with your daughter's father? Your daughter is growing into her teenage years and if you are anything like me. you are recognising the added worries that will bring. On top of that you are working and worried that you might lose your job. If your income is depended upon it will increase your worry.

Stress and unconcscious worry can inhibit sleep. You are a human being and not competiting for the titile of super-mum. You have not said whether you are responsible for house work cooking cleaning etc. If you are that's another stress point.

I am sure you have many fine points that your daughter will look up to and your ethics of trying to cope will be enough for her to understand that you are not a quitter.

If I were you I would go to my GP and ask for some time out,explain that you cannot cope at the moment. Take time to look at the things you can control and time to give yourself a break from those you can't.

You need to break the cycle. I hope this doesn't sound patronising and condescending. It isn't meant to be, this is based on what I needed to do a few years ago. My life took a dramatic turn and I need several months off work to sort myself out.

Once I had started to sort through the problems one at a time I was then able to concentrate on my health issues.
    My fibro problems are now so bad that I am barely coping at work and wonder how long I will be able to continue working full time,but before I throw in the towel I am going to ask for a more flexible approach to how or where I work.
    In this modern age of technology, I should still be able to work but just as effectively at home some days.
    My job would allow me to do that, but it's opening the mind of the dept and making them see that to lose my experience,would cost them more to retrain someone else.

Take care of yourself you deserve it.
    Sandy (bubblesgirl)

[ advertisement ]