Dear Klutzo - why is pregnenelone & xanax dangerous?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lilwren, Dec 8, 2002.

1. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I also take xanax and have tried repeatedly to take pregnenelone but it makes me very violent. I do not have a doctor to monitor my hormone levels either. Could you point me in a direction to research this?

Thanks.

love,
    Sharon L
  2. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I also take xanax and have tried repeatedly to take pregnenelone but it makes me very violent. I do not have a doctor to monitor my hormone levels either. Could you point me in a direction to research this?

Thanks.

love,
    Sharon L
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Sorry, there was no explanation in the article I read. I read a ton of stuff on pregnenolone, as I felt it might be better for me than the Neurontin, which I expect to be put on any time now due to my recent dx by the PsychoNeuroEndocrinologist. I don't want the side-effects, esp. weight gain from Neurontin, not to mention the outrageous cost. I am on Medicare so I get no help in paying for it.
    Pregnenolone is cheap and is supposed to do many of the same things.
    The article said not to take it without close monitoring if you have high blood pressure (I'm guessing that is because it increases estrogen which increases water retention which increases blood pressure) and certain prescription drugs, one of which was benzodiazepines. I have a BP cuff and can monitor my blood pressure myself. I also take Xanax, in very small doses around the clock. There was no explanation of why you shouldn't do it, but I do remember seeing anger and irritability listed as side-effects of taking it for an extended period at high doses, no matter what drugs you are on.
    I also read another article by a doctor in which he said the amts. being sold OTC are much too high, and nobody should take more than 1-3 mgs. daily for a long time.
    I went out this morning and bought the lowest I could find, 10 mgs. and took one. I will try taking it a few days and then take a few days off. I had posted before that I would not try it because of the risks, but I am desperate to avoid Neurontin.
    I am in a major fog today, and cannot remember specific places I read these things, except that I did a websearch using Google and an article by a doctor with a long last name beginning with "S" was one of the most interesting. I hope you cand find it.
    How long did it take for you to get effects? How much were you taking? Did you have any good effects or only bad? When you say you got violent, did you actually hurt anyone? That's scary!
    Klutzo
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

If dopamine is the problem, then I should be OK on pregnenolone, since the only dopamine icreasing drug I ever took (Welbutrin) helped me immensely in terms of energy and mood, but was too strong and caused insomnia. Hopefully, the tiny dose of pregnenolone will not have such a strong effect. I eventually had an allergic reaction to Welbutrin and had to go off it anyway, but while I was on it I was optimistic for the first time since I got FMS.
    I am glad the Neurontin worked out so well.
    Klutzo
  5. lilwren

lilwren New Member

I took a baseball bat to my chain link fence and a lawn chair! I took 10 mg in the morning and by late afternoon I was getting more and more agitated, and then by about seven in the evening I blew like a pressure cooker. It scared me to death! Sooo I stopped taking it - that was back in August I believe. I tried it a few weeks later and the same thing happened so I've been scared to try it since. I have no clue at to why it does that to me. But, I always seemt o have the opposite reaction to everything. Maybe if I tried a lower dose like you said Klutzo. Next time I feel like going crazy I'll try it. :)

Be careful Klutzo. Oh, I didn't take it long enough to notice anything good from it.

One thing to mention - I also had it happen when I was taking Zyban to try to quite smoking.

Thanks Sunny - I will check out the dopamine thing.

love,

Sharon L [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2002]