Dear SO bitten by pit bull today

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by findmind, Mar 21, 2006.

1. findmind

findmind New Member

No idea if icon is correct, just i feel green and sick!

Dear one was walking shepherds (2) in alley, and pitbull new to naborhood crawled under a fence and lunged onto her forearm! He ran back under fence and she came home (6 houses away) with 4 deep, bleeding puncture wounds in arm.

I called police and animal control (we had reported dog once before for almost same thing, only he was much younger and only nipped her thigh.

cops came...went to nabors, waited for animal control to pick up dog to watch for rabies and check to see if valid papers, tags, etc.

Happened at 4:15...we were at ER at 5:15 or so, and got home at 8:30! A completely bandaged arm tetanus shot, rx for Clindamycin and we were both in so much pain from the stress (and she was in pain with wounds and terrible swelling). Needless to say, we both went straight to bed. Slept 2 hours (thanks are in order here, for XANAX!)

So now its wait for ER to fax report to regular dr and animal control and make sure dog has had its shots.

Owners were told to repair their fence last time it got loose..Feb lst.

Anyhow, expect to be a mess for a day or two...

How was YOUR day???? :))

Stress will kill us, right?
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

didn't take the dog away and quarnatine the animal...i guess we have much stricker laws here...

ihope you heal quickly....

jodie
  3. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Make sure to keep a receipt on every bill that this costs you to take care of yourself. Hopefully the people who own the pit bull have either renters or home owners insurnce to pay for your medical costs.

And don't forget loss of wages either!! I'm sure this is a scary thing to go through.
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

when I was an insurance adjuster. We always paid if the insured's dog bit someone. We never paid if our insursed driver ran over a dog because the law required dogs to be under control: penned up or on a leash.
  5. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I'm so sorry this happened to your SO.

I have heard that there are now laws that hold the owners of dogs responsible for what they do to other people, esp. in the case of attacking.

The owners do the time, etc., for the injuries the dog inflicts. Did the police say anything about this? Maybe you can press charges so that they'll take you seriously.

I wish I knew more about the laws, but I only heard about their existence in an article where a woman was murdered by a dog. The attack was unprovoked. The owners went to jail for murder.

I'm very nervous as there is a new Rottweiler mix pup next door, and the owners NEVER put it on the leash. Will it stay on a leash when grown? I seriously doubt it :(.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]
  6. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

us dog owners are bound by law to keep our dogs under control in a public place.the law is on your side.

as for claiming under insurance, if they say they dont have dog insurance you can still claim off their house insurance.

make sure the both of you rest up, get your other half a tub of ben and jerrys :) that'll help :)
  7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

yEARS AGO. Turned out that you cannot get insurance when you own a dog that is either a certain breed, or has a history. Our vet bills were high as this dog tore both our dog's necks, fortunately the dogs protected him from me. The dog was a big dog too. I was given the choice to call for the animal to be put down or one more chance to keep him fenced in and I chose the latter. The next day they had an eight foot wire fence with steel bottom erected arounf their big yard. Never paid our vet bills though. Or for my coat it tore.

I always think it was the start of my dog's lameness that finally did him in.

So sorry. I also feel for these poor animals, and the ownders who make them aggressive this way. Personally, these owners should be banned from keeping any animal. Hey that could have been a baby.

Love Anne C
  8. JLH

JLH New Member

I am so very sorry to hear of the bit bull attack. I hope she is recovering well.

I am so terribly afaid of pit bulls and large dogs like that. In fact, I have a fear of all dogs that I do not know.

Our neighbor across the road had a pit bull that they would let roam free (we live in a rural area) and I would not go out to our mail box if it were anywhere in sight! It strayed down the road and attacked a child in her yard playing and the father just came out and shot it. How sad for the dog, but it could have really hurt the child. The father said he reacted out of fear and was remorseful to the dog's owner.

I never did hear how the child was, if the shot was fatal to the dog, etc. These neighbors have since moved.

I certainly agree that your night was indeed stressful and agree that you both need an entire carton of Ben and Jerry's--flavor of your choice!!!

(((Big Hugs)))
    Janet
  9. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

that is confined in a wooden privacy fence. He has broken some of the boards. I quit walking my dogs down that street because I am so afraid he'll get out. He tries desperately to bust through the fence any time he realizes someone is on the sidewalk.

I am thankful the dog didn't go for her face. As bad as it already is it could have been worse.

Take care,

Linda
  10. RockiAZ

RockiAZ New Member

Sorry to hear about your partner! What a horrifying experience that must have been for her - and you! OMG! Hope the dog had his shots and she doesn't have to go through the injection crud.

My thoughts are with you both. Try to relax and get some more sleep.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Live, Laugh, Love,
    Rocki
  11. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

it is such a scary time for you...upsetting to relive the attack and now perhaps a new fear of strange dogs....i am so sorry that happened....i agree on the ben and jerrys for both of you!!!

my son used to play at his friends house aften...they have a female pit bull....i believed them when they said she was so gentle and a scardy cat until my cousin got bit by a pit bull..she told me that they can't be trusted....now i rarely let my son play there...i just can't get over the fear that the dog will think that my son is bothering the boy when they play...sports and roughhousing...and attack my son...

this has hurt the mothers feelings...i feel terrible too but i just don't trust that breed....any thoughts to share on this?
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

Being a dog lover I hate to see one that has been allowed to injure someone due to owner neglect. That is what it usually is.

Your partner was extremely lucky that the pit didn't hold on and shake. They are horribly strong and not known to let go once they get a hold on someone.

I have known several wonderful pits, but they were well trained socialized house pets. I wouldn't want one because of the damage they can do if they do bite and because I'm not sure I could really trust it.

People around here walk their pit bulls with heavy chains on their necks and teach them to attack. It is a horrible thing to do to a dog!

Our neighbor had a pit bull mix. When my DH took our lab out with him to get the paper, on leash even though we live 6 miles from town, the pit attacked her! DH kicked it so hard it's head was bleeding, but it let go of Aster.

Then he went to the neighbor and told them what had happened. They said it wasn't theirs, it was a stray. So my DH shot it. Then the neighbor was all ticked out because he shot "their" dog!

I pray your partner is feeling better and heals quickly. Keep a close watch on the bite and arm as dog bites can become infected really quickly even if the victom is on antibiotics.

Hugz

Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies (but maybe not the pit bulls!)!
  13. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You wanted any thoughts on your dilemna, so here's what I know about pitbulls.

They are a powerful and specially bred animal. but they aren't the cross, badtempered dogs they are portrayed to be. They are actually a good natured and fiercely loyal bred. So theyare very loyal pets to have if they are handled and raised w/ love, but that loyalty means they will protect thier owners on a dime if they think there is danger. So you are probably right about the boys roughhousing. A pitbull won't stand around and bark and growl for awhile either, they'll just attack.

My first several experiences w/ pitbulls are pleasant memories, thank goodness. I knew poeple w/ them before there was all the hype and bad press, and these were truly big babies. They'd crawl on my lap and want to play, and they are so strong that their tail wagging is like a whip if it connects w/ you, which thier tails did often since they were such happy people loving dogs. And they are people loving dogs, unless otherwise raised, but they tend to hate other dogs. I was cautioned by the owners though, that if anyone were to make a threatening move toward the owner, all that friendliness would evaporate in a second.

I also knw someone w/ a pitbull they raised from a pup. It was well handled and had been friendly, but it was turning mean and demented, so he had to get rid of it. he gave it to someone who needed a guard dog, so he was put to good use and not just disposed of. That can happen w/ any fighting breed though. Instinct can kick in. They are good natured if loved, but they are like the greyhound, whick was bred to run and compete and you can't let a greyhound off a leash, because they want to run. So a pitbull can be domesticated, but circumstances can bring it's instinct out to want to fight.

jeanne
  14. findmind

findmind New Member

How sweet and informative you all are. Thank you for your concern and advice.

We got a call this am from Animal Control; the dog has up-to-date rabies shot and license, so that's good.

When SO called them back, to see what happens next, they said she had to come to them to file a report of some kind. Of course she really feels like it, right?

Don't know what the next step is yet...

Dr. said to soak arm 2-3 times a day in warm water, apply antibiotic cream and lite bandage and keep it clean, so that's what we have started doing today.

She is stubborn about wounds; she heals really fast, so doesn't take care of them. She's a mass of scars from riding bike with dogs and falling, accidents while doing lawns and cars, but I'm really on her about this one, and will make sure she does all the dr. said she must do.

Think we will file report so they are forced to repair their fence in a manner that the dog cannot get out, if it is returned to owner.

Gotta go....someone at door.

Thanks for all you do for us..

findmind

[This Message was Edited on 03/22/2006]
  15. ilovepink4

ilovepink4 Member

Thanks for the info....i feel better about limiting contact between my son and that dog....i think that you just never know what a dog may do....

i have a 6 lb chihuahua and when the kids have friends over, she stays in my bedroom with the door shut....i don't even like to take chances with her snapping or biting....
  16. sues1

sues1 New Member

My grandfather brought my brother and I a dog years ago. I immediately jumped up on a swing and cried. It was a ugly dog to me and scary.

In short time "Brownie" turned out to be the very best. Smart, loving, my brother and I could do anything we wanted to this dog and never once did it get angry at us. Brownie ran the neighborhood and was loved by many. This is many years ago and that was acceptable then.

We did find out that Brownie would not allow anyone to yell or play rough with my brother and me. So we would put him in the house if we were going to do so. He was super protective.

Years later....as a older adult ..I saw a pit bull on TV, up to then I did not know what they looked like!

I called my brother and said "Do you know how much Grandpa loved us? He got us a Pit Bull dog". Yikes. My brother already knew that but it was never mentioned to me.

Brownie has a special place in our hearts......

But even in saying all of this...this dog that attacked your partner...should be put to sleep. Never know when he can break down the fence. Already got your partner twice. No reason to take chances....
    [This Message was Edited on 03/23/2006]
  17. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

that he bit. it was a dog with poor training and low standards of care.
  18. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

You are right, it isn't the breed, but the upbringing.

I have a book called "There Are No Problem Horses, Only Problem Riders." I think that applies well to dogs also.

Here if a dog is reported twice for biting it is put to sleep. If it an especially violent attack, even for a first offence, the dog is put to sleep after a time of quaranteen, and the owner can be cited and required to pay all costs related to the attack.

Owners MUST take responsibility for their dog. If it escapes the fence, the owner is at fault, if it is prone to bite (even if it is a little bitty dog!), the owner is at fault.

If your dog does want to bite, or even growls at strangers when you have him in a public place, then his place is at home.

You can tell I have very strong feelings about dogs. I love them all no matter what breed, big, little, mutt or purebred, I just love dogs! That is why I am so adament about training and socialization. It is the very best thing for the dog! And it makes the owners life much easier, too!

Hugzz,
    Greenbean

Stop and smell the puppies!
  19. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

thats exactly right. i feel that every dog should go puppy classes to help with the socialization and should go basic obedience classes too.

its great to see a well behaved dog walking nice with his owner but its not the dogs that pull who make me angry its the owners that do silly things that screw a dog up and then go but he wont be good.

ppl dont realise that a large portion of the time they have inwittingly trained their dog in bad behaviour.

plus i dont think ppl realise just how much fun training an animal can be :)
  20. lease79

lease79 New Member

~*Gentle Hugs*~ to your partner, I really hope that she heals fast.