Debilitating fatigue and sleepiness and some loss of bladder control

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by luvdogs, Jun 27, 2009.

1. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Anyone remember me? Anyway I've had intense fatigue and sleepiness brought about by intense stress. You don't want to know the whole list, but briefly, I had major surgery, my father died while I was still in the hospital, my sister and I had a falling out, my boyfriend moved out (by my instigation), I had big problems at work, and last but not least, my dog died, and then (Oops and Yikes) I adopted a new puppy. When my dog died, I became kind of suicidal, and my boyfriend (still not quite an ex) suggested that I adopt a puppy--quote: "There's nothing like a cute puppy to help you get over suicidal thoughts." He was right about the suicidal thoughts, but the puppy was lots and lots of work and kind of tipped the cart for me. I became so fatigued and so sleepy, I could no longer function. My grey matter became all fuzzy, and I started forgetting everything. I began missing appointments and forgetting to do important things. I stopped cleaning my house. I kept falling asleep in the car. I had no strength. The busier I was, the more fatigued I became. At night, I started bumping into walls and had cold and hot chills and nausea. The final straw was when I started having slight loss of bladder control, and then (how embarrassing) peed the bed.

Docs were going to hospitalize me, but decided not to, then they decided I was on too many meds. I still think it was all the stress, which basically brought my physical reserves way down. I am starting to cut down on my meds, but the result is--oh no--now I'm having trouble sleeping as a rebound from cutting down on sleeping pills. Things are a little better in general though. Pup's getting older, and my rheumy gave me Nuvigil, which helps for part of the day. My bladder control seems better, and I no longer wet the bed.

Still and all, suggestions and support, and old and new on-line friends are welcome.
  2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi,welcome back. I remember you from the old board.

Wow you have really been through the wringer. I agree with you about stress. I had a year(actually it's going into 2 now)of craziness and I crashed and dont seem now to be able to get any sense of ok. Everything has become harder.

I think I just used up all my reserves and theres no more suck it up and push left. Lots of rest has become key. Bladderdont feel alone on that one either!

I lost my dad too a year and half ago,so sorry to hear about your loss. Sis and I too had a falling-out(gosh starting to feel like your post is my story!) minus the boyfriend!

Stay on the meds you know you need. What is Nuvigil? I'm in limbo right now with doc support.

big cyber-hug and take care of you first
  3. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Wow. Thanks for the response and for remembering me. Yes, when you use up all your reserves, it can be really tough. What's particularly hard for me is that I have basically no family and not much social support. I have to tough it out by myself. I'm having a hard time taking care of myself and the pups. My financial situation is also bad. If I lose my job (which I may) then I also lose my insurance, and then I guess I can't go to the doctor anymore--just the free clinic. I'm waiting to get a court date from Social Security, and they're asking for yet more records. Don't they have enough? That's hard too--driving around and trying to get records. It's hard to get rest when I have to think about all that other stuff, not to mention walking a part-Siberian Husky puppy who needs exercise. I tried to teach her to swim, because I can do that the easiest, but she doesn't like the water. Ay ay ay. Oh--Nuvigil is the latest version of Provigil--both are basically stimulants which help with the fatigue and increase mental alertness. Still not quite enough to keep me going though. Thanks for the hug.
  4. Hawkeye

Hawkeye New Member

Wow you got hit with the bad luck truck bad! I am so sorry of all your losses. That story just broke my heart!
    I know I don't take sleeping pills they seem to make me feel so much worse. They hangover effect just doesn't lift for me. I take Benedryl for sleep when I need it just one liqutab and it does the trick for me, I take it about an hour before I am going to go to bed.
    I take Rhodiola for energy and boy it helps me more than anything else I have ever found. I am not by any means a barrel of energy but I am not fighting sleep all day and that to me is energy.
    I hope you have better luck with the rest of your year.

5. 3gs

3gs New Member

My goodness,I just read your profile. You my dear need tender gentle caring and rest!

Is there anyone that could help you get the records? Maybe call and they could send them to you? The paper trail is so annoying. When you get them make extra copies to have on hand. I cant believe what folks have to go thru now to get SS.

Can you get the cobra insurance if u lose your job? Apply for medicaid while waiting for SS.

You do have your work cut out for you with the husky. Beautiful dogs but strong! Any neighbor that could help walk? Pay a kid?

Right now just working and everyday stuff is all you can handle. Rest as much as possible,try not to push past your limits.

To bad we cant create a village of us folks and support each other. I know this may sound terrible,but there are times when family is more stress than not. Friends-mine are gone.

hangin in there
  6. frickly

frickly New Member sorry you are having such a rough time. I do agree that we have to be careful about over doing it as it can catch up to you. Your symptoms sound very familiar as my husband was out of town the entire week last week. He got home and then got sick and has been in bed since Tuesday. I have done everything, all alone, to take care of my three kids for these past two weeks and it finally caught up with me. I have been nauseated, fever, dizzy, cold and hot, numbness in arms and hands, headache and barely able to get up the stairs due to the muscle fatigue. Take care of yourself and give your body a chance to recover. I know thats hard to do when you have to work. Anyway....nice to meet you and I hope things will turn around for you.

Take care,
  7. DavidJ.

DavidJ. New Member

hi, i dont know you yet, but you seem to be a very nice person :)...

what caused your cfs ? did you have a blood test and do you get antivirals ?

just interested ...
  8. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

My CFS was originally caused by a case of mono, then, after I had breast cancer treatment, it worsened, and I also got Fibromyalgia.

I don't know if I've had a blood test specifically for a virus, and no, no doctor has given me antivirals. Have those helped you?

Thanks for the response.
  9. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

According to Consumer Reports, "sound machines, which can make you feel like you're in a forest or at the bech, worked almost as well as drugs at putting respondents to sleep." The brand that was voted the favourite among their panelists was the "Brookstone Tranquil Moments Sound Therapy System" (NFI).
  10. frickly

frickly New Member

I love the sound of a thunderstorm and rain when trying to sleep. I cheaper option would be to buy a CD if you have a player. I like my thunderstorm cd but also have a rainforest cd. My husband and I used to listen to the rainforest while sleeping but, unfortunatly, it has some bird about have way through that was very loud and annoying so had to get rid of that one.
  11. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I remember you from the old board. I'm so sorry to hear about all the tragic loss you've been through recently. You're due now to have some good things happen in your life. I'm glad you're back here and posting again.

gentle hugs,