Decongestant Help For Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by greatgran, May 28, 2010.

1. greatgran

greatgran Member

Is there any possiblity that a decongestant could help with fibro/cfs symptoms?

I haven't a clue if there is a connection but when my fibro/cfs is bad seems I get a sinus type headache. (When I say bad I am in bed). Against the doc's advice I have used Dristan nasal spray for the headach but I have noticed it seems to help with my pain and horrible body aches. I can not use the decongestant like in Sudafed but can use the one that starts with an O that is is Dristan or Afrin. I do not use more that one or two days at a time but do use about twice a month.

Guess I have lost my marbles but the nasal spray seems to help.

2. Misfit101

Misfit101 New Member

I have been a nasal spray addict off and on for 38 yrs. I also get allergy related sinus headaches. The commode hugging kind. I take decongestants at that time and an allergy med. I dont notice any change in my fibro symptoms. But maybe its just me.
  3. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

Hi GG,

Good detecting! I suspect that you have found a clue about one aspect of your DD.

For some people, histamine issues are a big contributor to symptoms. Histamine concentration in the body is highest in the brain, where histamine operates as a neurotransmitter of sorts.

If your GENERAL (beyond sinus) fm/cfs symptoms improve on Dristan & Afrin, I can't help wonder whether you are one of those histamine types -- since the oxymetazoline is an antihistamine.

Certain antihistamines potentiate the body's natural opiates, which reduces pain sensitivity. Even before we had the official designation of Fibromyalgia, sufferers with "fibrositis" were treated decades ago with benedryl to aid sleep. And it was & is effective for many.

Others with our DDs may respond to taking EXTRA supplemental L-histidine or histamine; go figure. One theory is that the extra histamine forces the body to start self-regulating histamine production & release, which helps the overall situation.

Keep your eyes open as more research unfolds in the future.

Best wishes.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/28/2010]
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

has been reported as a major factor in everyone's fatigue, including those who would not be considered as having CFIDS or Fibro. It definitely is a 'hallmark' symptom of CF/FM/ME.

(side note: It is also common in Chronic Lyme and co-infections. I had really bad nearly 24/7 sinus headaches for many years... figured out I had Lyme +/or? and did a protocol. While I still get them, it is no longer 24/7. Still have yet to finish my protocol, tho.)

all the best,

PS: what's weird to me is that for a while the OTC antihistamine nasal sprays worked, then quit; so did the RX'd sprays. But at least each worked for a while, and I never got a rebound effect. The ONLY time I've ever had rebound was the 2 different times I tried it for a cold - and the rebound was worse than the original congestion!

Anyone else find that to be true?
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

I did not realize oxymetazoline was an antihistamine I thought it was a decongestant as I don't tolerate antihistamines such as bendryl , zyrtex etc. . Oh this weird body of mine.

6. greatgran

greatgran Member

One doctor tells me sinus infection, the others says no. I do find antibiotics helpful but have taken so many I am allergic to most. I have had 4 lyme test of course all negative. My doctors are clueless so say fm/cfs.

Last week I had an ok week, for me, but this week has been one from h-ll. No rhyme or reason.

God bless,
  7. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh how I wish the grapeseed would work for me like it did for you. I take it because there are no side effects and I feel it has to do something good for my body even though I haven't noticed any. I hate the antibiotic route but wonder if I need to be on one long term as I feel it is an infection but what I don't understand is why it comes and goes. One week ok and the next three misery.

Hugs and thanks,
  8. greatgran

greatgran Member

My allergy test were negative didn't have the food test. I am not sure what is wrong unless it is the fm/cfs. I usual awake with the headache but once I am up the headache goes but I have the off balance, horrrible body aches and it seems my head is in a deep fog.

I may never know why this comes and goes. Today I feel like I am a goner but last Friday I cleaned house , went to my greatgrans awards ceremony , oh to feel human is wonderful only for it to be gone the next day.

I take xanax, bufferin,squirt the nasal spray to get through these days. I have tried Flonase but no help if anything it plugs my ears up more.

How I would love to know what is going on in my miserable body.

9. victoria

victoria New Member

and many others (with or without Lyme, I suspect there are other pathogens). It has always come and gone without rhyme or reason. It's one of the most frustrating things.

I had NO sign of infection or blockage on CT scans. When an ENT surgeon tells you surgery isn't even warranted...

Nothing stil. has come to market since that famous Mayo Clinic study showing it could be fungal, even tho they predicted they'd have 'something' by 2005! Some company was doing research on a nasal antifungal spray but last time I checked, it was still in clinical studies.

(I think it was fluconazole.... what comes to my magic 8 ball type of mind at this second. Could change at any moment tho lol.)