Decreasing thyroid and cortisol meds

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

Haven't been on here for a while -- busy with family, etc. But I had a check-up w/my CFS doc after blood work and am happy to find that my thyroid and cortisol numbers are really good. So good, that my dosage is being decreased for both. What I didn't tell her is that I was not taking the cortisol (5 mg/day) on a regular basis anyway. I could tell it was 'coming back online' so was only taking it on high-stress days or during an illness.

The thyroid being decreased is T3, but the Synthroid is going up by 25 mcg. -- trying to find the right balance.

I'd heard a long time ago that with the right treatment, the adrenals can begin to produce cortisol again. Over 10+ years I watched my cortisol number skyrocket then gradually flatline. I'm very happy that the flatlining is apparently over.
  2. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is why it is so important to let your doctor know what meds./supps. you are on or in your case not on a regular basis. The endocrine system is so delicate.

Definitely talk to your endocrinologist about this.

ProHeath recently had an excellent article about this. It's in the library.

I do know that if you get too much of any hormone your body may stop producing it. I don't really know if the adrenal glands can produce cortisol once you flatline but at least here's a bump and maybe someone else can help.

Good luck.

ETA Are you diagnosed with Adrenal Fatigue or Adrenal insufficiency as they are very different conditions. Actually Adrenal Fatigue is not a recognized medical condition. There's a great article on the health board about this.[This Message was Edited on 02/08/2011]
  3. ktp812

ktp812 New Member

I was on cortef for 4 years because my adrenal saliva test was a flatline. When I started having thyroid problems I had to see an endocrinologist who doesn't believe in adrenal fatigue. He had me taper off the cortef and it took a year (20mg). Even though my blood cortisol is 8.5 and my most recent saliva test is again still flatline he said my body doesn't need it.

I want to mention I did have the ACTH test done and my level went from 8.2 to 16.5 so he said that was furthur proof my adrenal glands are just fine. My CFS doctor disagrees and says I need the cortef but has decided not to go against the endo and has put me on DHEA and Isocort instead.

He did tell me that if you take cortef you have to be consistant and not just take it whenever because the adrenals are on a cycle and if you supplement at odd times it will mess up that cycle. I am not sure what your doctor says about that but I just wanted to mention that to you.
    I am not sure how my adrenals will ever recover while having a chronic illness...
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

No worries -- I was only started on supplementary low-dose cortisol *after* I had flatlined. I had done research on both cortisol supplementation and thyroid supplementation before I began on them (at different times). I'd heard and been told that, treated right, the body can replenish its ability to produce certain hormones, and I was skeptical, but now I'm a believer.