DEE 50 did i read right on the service dogs??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by smiffy79, Dec 18, 2005.

1. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

he came in and criticised you on wnating a service dog and then your ruby for being one???
    was that what i was reading because if i read it the wrong way and i hope i have let me know.

if ive got the right end of the stick i would find a good trainer, they are out there and report that guy.
    when i open my school im going to apply to become a member of the association of pet dog trainers which is like a guarantee for the public that i know my stuff.
    check thsi guy out and if he belongs to something like this then you have a foothold and can do something about him.
  2. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

At first I bumped this post but now I have to reply. I soooo wish Dee50 lived in South Dakota or closer to me! I have the perfect lady for her!!! Her name is Sadie and she is an absolutely wonderful chocolate lab – she will come in the house and sit by my feet while I’m on the computer or while I sew – she plays hide & seek with the girls – she listens to commands and will do what she is told. I take her to ball games and for car rides and I don’t have to leash her up (I do though) when I take her to town. She is almost 3 years old.

You see, we raise labs. Sadie has always been MINE but when we spay her my hubby told me I had to find a good home for her. The problem is. . .she likes us. First we gave her to a family that has 3 boys – she ran away and they ended up having to chain her up so she would not run. Thankfully I had told them that if they had problems they should call me & I would take her back! When we got there we let her off her chain & her ears & her tail went right up – she was so happy to see us! They kept asking if we didn’t want to hold on to her so she wouldn’t run but we knew she wouldn’t. When we left we opened the pick-up door and she jumped right in.

I would gladly let Dee have her if she were closer – I could help her get used to Dee but I know it wouldn’t work with the distance. I can’t believe the luck! Dee – do you want to move? Hee hee

Kelly[This Message was Edited on 12/19/2005]
  3. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Smiffy79,
    Yea he is not the trainer for us. He just thinks boxers can not be service dogs.

I know Ruby can she already is. I've ordered her band with "Don't pet me" on it. I didn't order a service dog vest because I'm mainly useing Ruby for a support assistance mobility dog and the band will fit with the harness on her and the vest will not (the harness covers it up).

This man just moved here from Mesa Arizona. I'm sure he is a good trainer just doesn't know boxers. I'm training Ruby with the "Clicking with Your Dog" by Peggy Tillman. It's a great and simple training program. I'm not mad at him we just don't need him.

Bailey-smom-Kelly,

Sadie would be perfect. Because she is the right age and her manners and the fact that she loves to be with you at all times and good with kids! As long as she is not protective about anything. At 3 they are done growing bone wise. Ruby is only 1 1/2 years old just a baby.lol And enough energy for 3 dogs.lol

Ruby would not get along with an older female I'm guessing an older male or younger male would work. But I'm useing Ruby I know I'm to ill for two dogs nowdays.

I hope Sadie gets a chance to be a service dog for someone in your area. She sounds like she would be very easy to clicker train. And what a blessing in a person in needs life she would be.

Happy Holidays,Dee50

4. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

i wish you all the best in clicker training and its not a bad thing your doing it yourself as only you know your dog.

i am surprised in your trainer i would so love to tell him to put a sock in it. too many ppl think only labxgoldies should be service/assistance dogs.
  5. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

It is like you said - you just need one that you can use for the purpose you are looking for. It sounds like your puppy is going to be good to help you and he will be used to you and your schedule. There is no reason you should not be able to use him.

Some people are just closed minded. I hope everything works out well with your training.

Kelly
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

Thanks for the support. I'll try to remember this support while Ruby is learning new things, like not to take the bed covers and run the wrong direction with them!lol

Oh how she makes me laugh. Ruby is a clown. And she always thinks she is helping me.

She gives me that look like "what that's not what you wanted me to do?". Some times I laugh so hard that it hurts.

Happy Holidays,
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 12/22/2005]