DEEP CALF PAIN?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swen, Sep 20, 2002.

1. swen

swen New Member

I am fairly new to the board and although I have replied to a few posts, this is my first posting. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I have FMS, hypothyroidism, insomnia, asthma (not related), GERD, IBS etc. etc. I suffer with extreme muscle, ligament, tendon, rib pain but just lately I have been experiencing very deep calf muscle pain. It's driving me craaaazzzy! I have tried rubbing with all sorts of things, tried heating pads and water therapy. Nothing will get rid of it! Please, does any one have any suggestions? I greatly value how everyone tries to help. I have been coming to this board every morning for 10 days now and appreciate how much knowledge there is here.
    Thanks,
    Chris S
  2. swen

swen New Member

I am fairly new to the board and although I have replied to a few posts, this is my first posting. I live in Vancouver, Canada. I have FMS, hypothyroidism, insomnia, asthma (not related), GERD, IBS etc. etc. I suffer with extreme muscle, ligament, tendon, rib pain but just lately I have been experiencing very deep calf muscle pain. It's driving me craaaazzzy! I have tried rubbing with all sorts of things, tried heating pads and water therapy. Nothing will get rid of it! Please, does any one have any suggestions? I greatly value how everyone tries to help. I have been coming to this board every morning for 10 days now and appreciate how much knowledge there is here.
    Thanks,
    Chris S
  3. SAS

SAS New Member

Hi Chris,
    Welcome to the board. This is really the place to come for info. I have FMS, Osteoarthritis and Chronic Depression. I was dx'd with FMS in April. This summer I had several bouts with spasms in my calves, especially during the night. I started drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily, and it seems to have stopped. When I was pregnant with my son (he's now 32 yrs. old), I had the same problem, and I remember my doc. telling me to drink more water.

I hope this helps you. Hang in there, I am sure you will get some other replies.

Best of health,
    Shirley
  4. Grams

Grams New Member

Chris, if this is a new symptom, be careful about using heat and massaging the calf area. This <b>could</b> be a symptom of a deep vein thrombosis, or a blood clot. You would not want to be rubbing it and taking the chance of dislodging it. Redness of the area would suggest this more serious problem. Of course, if this pain is in both calves, it's even less likely to be a DVT.

If the pain is new, in one leg, and accompanied by redness, I'd call the doctor to get an opinion as to what to do.

Gentle hugs and blessings...
  5. swen

swen New Member

There is no redness and the pain is in both legs. Told my dr. about it but she said it's just part of the pain that goes along with FMS. It's a pain like I have just climbed Mt. Everest without any training!!! Although I have had FMS since 1996, it is only recently that my dr. has started taking it seriously. Before, she thought that I had depression and insomnia and that was causing my aches and pains. However, it is the FMS that causes the depression.
    But, back to the calf pain. It's an ache that starts, and is most painful in the calves but travels up and down my legs.
    Thanks for caring,
    Chris S.
  6. Copper2002

Copper2002 New Member

Hi Chris,

another comiserator here. Mine has at times gotten so bad there are visible knots up and down the back of my leg! I do, hopefully, have some hope to offer, and it is oh so simple.

Of course, the water issue is top of the chart. If that isn't helping, try stretching the hamstrings in your legs. Easy technique: place both hands flat against a wall. Stretch one leg to back, keeping heels firmly pinned to the floor. Opposite leg is bent, heels also to floor. Not allowing the rear food to slide, bend the forward knee until you feel the stretch in the 'back' leg. The position resembles a lunge, but not as deep. Hold this position for 60 seconds. It is, at first, difficult to hold for 60 sec.s, but this is ESSENTIAL! It takes tight/cramped muscles 30 seconds just to release, then another 30 for the stretch. Do this with each leg, and the more the better. I can usually only handle once per round, but am able to do this several times throughout the day. The difference is rapid (maybe even within hours!), but the cramps/pains come back if I miss only 2 days.

Hope this helps,
    Copper
    Let Miracles Replace all Grievances
  7. domesticgoddess

domesticgoddess New Member

If it is like muscle spasms probably part of FM

However, If it is constant pain, redness or leg is turning black that is a definite sign of Phelibitis (blood clots)or obstructions in the veins/arteries. I had blood clots in both of my legs in 1980.

Had an MRI about 2 weeks ago for this pain. Showed bulging discs, osteoarthritis and bone spurring. Just this past Monday I had a doppler done on my legs. The tech wasnt supposed to give me a copy of the printout, but she did. I have obstructions in both legs. Havent heard from my doctor yet.

Gentleness
  8. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I used to get leg cramps all the time to the point my leg literally looked like a V in the back of my calf. Then one day I simply stressed it so much it ruptured. And what I mean by that is .. it pulled away from the bone. It tore. Anyway, the things that have helped me the most are water, 100 oz a day, and magnesium at night by mouth. Good luck