Deep Thoughts

Discussion in 'Spirituality/Worship' started by bakeman, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bakeman

bakeman New Member

The face of a child
    can say it all, especially
    the mouth part of the face.

by Jack Handy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/25/2009]
  2. bakeman

bakeman New Member

It takes a big man to cry,
    but it takes a bigger man
    to laugh at that man.

by Jack Handy
  3. Gingareeree

Gingareeree New Member

that the first thought is speaking of "out of the mouth of babes...." Or as Art Linkletter(I'm really dating myself here")used to say..."Kids say the darndest things". Jeanne
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Well, Bakeman is just having a little fun with us but I think Rainbow and others have, with their generous spirits, transcended the jokes and turned them into Zen koans - ostensibly absurd or non-rational riddles.

It is interesting to see that the meaning one makes of a thing can be far greater than the meaning with which it was made.

Thanks for this Bakeman.

peace

5. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Why, thank you!

I must admit I laugh at myself a lot. Yes, "at" myself.

A little story...

Once, many years ago, while on a first date at the movies with a very attractive man, I slipped my sore feet out of my brand new cowboy boots bought for the occasion. As the movie was ending I slowly, painfully and discretely stuffed my poor feet back into the boots. I was so sorry I had taken them off, they were so much worse now! So much worse! But, I was on a date with a wonderful man so I said nothing, smiled fetchingly and tried to ignore the sensation that my feet were being ripped from my legs. As I stepped out into the aisle I looked down to see the reason why they felt SO MUCH WORSE. I had put them on the wrong feet!

Theatres aren't well lit places even with the lights up so the hunky date had no idea at all what was going on. All he saw was that I glanced down at my feet and then fell about in helpless gales of laughter! This was just the funniest and most foolish thing I had ever seen anyone do and I was beside myself with mirth. I could not stop laughing and I could not breath and I certainly could not explain myself.

There he was with a woman he scarcely knew who, for no apparent reason, dissolved into great waves of helpless laughter - he just stared at me. The absurdity of this, of course, only made me laugh harder! Somehow I got them on the right feet and got out of there but was stricken several more times during the evening by laughter.

My date was not a big laugher. I had no idea what he made of any of it but it was just so funny to me I could not resist revisiting it in my imagination and laughing again. (I'm laughing now.)

Aside from this and the ensuing outbreaks of guffaws, it was a very nice date. About a year later he married me. He did it for the laughs, I'm sure. In fact years later, following a very friendly divorce, he told me that what he missed most about our time together was the laughter.

Don't you love to laugh? I love to laugh. Okay, I'm way off topic. I'll get a grip now.

ETA I was quite serious in my earlier post, though, about the meaning. That kinda blew me away, actually. I learned something important from all of this.

Sorry I got carried away with my boots story!
    :eek:)[This Message was Edited on 01/26/2009]
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

because we are both fans.

I'm sure you recognize this...

No reason to get excited
    The thief he kindly spoke
    There are many here among us
    Who feel that life is but a joke

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQH8X4jkSxo

Peace out,
    r
  7. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

What a delightful story!

The Om or Aum is the sound of the Universe! How fitting that we should make a joyful cacophony when attempting to sing the universe.

I wish I'd been there :eek:) I would have been laughing

8. windblade

windblade Active Member

I"m laughing away at your story. The first time my husband was meditating, and chanting Ommm, I thought it wa a lawnmower outside.

9. bakeman

bakeman New Member

If a child asks where rain comes
    from, i think a cute thing to
    tell him is "god is crying."
    And if he asks why god is
    crying, another cute thing to
    tell him is, "probably because
    of something you did."

by Jack Handey

yes, i was having some fun rainbow. I wanted to lighten things up a bit. If the end is near, i want to have some fun before we all burn up or drown!!!

thanks rafiki for the hendrix clip. i eat sleep and breath hendrix. i guess you could call it my religion- hendrixism? that was his last performance in front of a large crowd, the isle of white 1970, he was off and frustrated but i like to watch every minute of it anyway. thanks again for posting.
  10. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'm really glad you came back. I don't know about you, but my end is not near! Wait! Do not draw any conclusion re my anatomy! My end is quite near enough, thank you!

Yeah, Hendrix is... well... he's Hendrix! My favourite performance is his rendition of The Star Spangled Banner from Woodstock. Amazing! He was a genius.

Peace out,
    r
  11. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have always said if I lose my sense of humor, I'm done for!!

I have a story which is kind of related to meditation. It might not be THAT funny as you kind of had to be there.

Years ago, when I was teaching, we had an inservice day. The topic of the first session was relaxation techniques. We were all gathered in the gym, lying on mats and the instructor was taking us through guided imagery.

The instructor was almost finished when someone let out a piercing scream. Everyone sat up. The person kept screaming as she had been stung by a bee and her hand was swelling.

I think we were all very stressed out after that. Unfortunately, time was up and we had to move to the next inservice where the poor instructor had to put up with people breaking up laughing during her session.

Laughter is infectious!!

gap

Wasn't Jack Handy on Saturday Night Live?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/29/2009]