Definitely a Virus-no other explanation !

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nah.stacey, Nov 13, 2009.

1. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

After what I just went through the last couple of days, I have confirmed again what I have know about CFS/FS for seven years. The thing is and can only be connected to some type of virus.

You cannot have all the symptoms of a flu blown flu, fever and all, every four to six weeks and call it psychological or flat out depression. NOT POSSIBLE!!!

All you have to do is live through this illness for six months to know beyond a shadow of a doubt is is viral. Perhaps we should video our lives for six months - year and send it to the CDC. Complete with Dr. visits and all to let them know what we live with.

It got soooo incredibly bad all I could do was to wail it out in tears till either the worst part passed or the Percocet/Tylenol kicked in enough to take the egde off.

Here is a bit of irony for you. I was scheduled to go into a wellness appointment check up in conjunction with our medical insurance premium. But oh hey, I couldn't go because I was deathly sick, and another clincher, I had just that day been to my new pain Dr. and I was sick but not virally in your face sick yet. The fever crashed in about an hour after I got home from that appt. The saving grace in this scenario is that my Psychological Drug eval, from a Drug Counseling Psychiatrist came back and she said I passed with flying colors, Wahoo, I'm not crazy! At least on their test. and my urine drug screen came back clean so she gave me a new RX of Percocet. Had she not done this I probably would have died. Literally, I could not have withstood the pain and sickness for a full three days with no pain relief.

On my next post, I will tell you about a most wonderful pain Dr. I finally found in Utah of all places.

Take care my dear support crew.
    P.S. Nah is the name my kids call me and I'm due for my first grand baby any day, then I will be Nanna.stacey
  2. wendysj

wendysj New Member

Hi Stacey,

I'll leave the "Nah" for your kids to call you. That's awesome. I call my mom "Mo" sometimes. People think I'm nuts. :)

I understand what you mean about the flu symptoms. I can tell when the severe stuff is coming because of the sore throat, swollen glands and low-grade fever... I tell my friends, "Yeah, I'm getting the flu again... For the 3rd time this month."

I'm happy you found a good pain management doctor. I think its great too that you got the "not crazy" classification. Not for others but for yourself. I know I still have days when I think, "Am I doing this to myself". That's usually after a few weeks of the severe stuff. My councelor always laughs when I tell her that... She thinks I'm "precious". She's been a life saver for me, literally.

Have a great weekend.

3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

call it psychological or depression or somatization or whatever they want in the face of overwhleming evidence to the contrary. No one knows why. Perhaps our medical profession has been stricken by a mysterious virus which warps their brains and also affects their eyesight, preventing them from seeing what is in front of their faces.

I don't have your symptoms, but I do have exercise intolerance, PEM, cardiomyopathy, hypothyroidism, sleep problems (and had chronic sore throats for many years), and a few other things. I believed for many years that severe chronic stress had damaged my body and caused all this. And then after reading about the retrovirus, and letting it sink in, I realized that I know no one (and I've known lots of people with severe stress) who developed post-exertional malaise (acute exhaustion) which takes days to recover from (nor any of my other symptoms). This is the hallmark of CFS for many people. But a retrovirus could explain it all.

I'm glad you found a good pain doc, and congrats on your new grandbaby! That is wonderful, nanna-to be.

4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

I also thought for 21 years that my illness was the result of a virus. I had viral testing and took antivirals. I also did food elimination. I felt somewhat better, but it didn't last. I relapsed in Feb 2008 and developed more symptoms and worse pain.

When my illness began in 1987, my Dr told me I had a viral infection. I believed him and it sure felt like a bad flu-like illness.

The biggest mistake I ever made was convincing myself that my illness was strictly from a virus.

What I discovered in Jan 2009 changed everything.

Thank goodness I decided to explore other CAUSES , other than viruses. Wish I had done it years sooner.

It is true that many of us can have a variety of chronic infections going on. Our immune systems have gone crazy and latent infections can be reactivated.

I read some very important papers/essays/articles. I knew I had found the answer I had been looking for.

A chronic borrelia burgdorferi infection (a bacterial spirochete) was the problem...along with probable associated coinfections like bartonella, babesia or ehrlichia.

Borrelia burgdorferi is known as lyme disease. I never considered it before because my symptoms exactly fit my former diagnosis.

What I had not considered before was that it is a very compicated bacteria that can cause all the symptoms I was experiencing.

My chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia were not really the final diagnosis.....they were actually symptoms of a larger picture.....a complicated chronic bacterial illness.

Different people have different sets of symptoms with lyme and coinfections depending on how virulent the infection is, which coinfections you have, your general health, your immune system response, which organs/systems the bacteria invaded, etc.

Many people who had diagnoses of CFS, FMS, MS, RA, lupus, depression, ADHD, Parkinson's, etc, later found out that the real CAUSE of all those symptoms was the bacteria borrelia burgdorferi.

Most people do not just have lyme...they have coinfections too which complicate the picture.

Please, I urge you to just read through this paper with an open mind.....symptom list p9-11....coinfection info and symptom info p 22-27 (also very important)......

you will see that 4 week cycles of increased symptoms is very common..p 26.....

All the best to you.