DEFORMED FINGER

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pirtpain, Feb 12, 2006.

1. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

One of my fingers is starting to bend down & the last knuckle looks bigger than the other ones & does hurt when you put pressure & even when you don't. Luckily it is on my left hand so I don't use it as frequently as the right one. It starts out looking fine, then just as you reach that last knuckle the tip with the finger nail dips down. I know that I asked about this before but forgot what I was told.
    Is this RA??

PIRT
  2. pirtpain

pirtpain New Member

THANKS FOR BUMPING THIS. I FORGOT THAT I DID THIS BEFORE!!!YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO THE MEMORY!!!

PIRT
  3. KelB

KelB New Member

It could also be Duptreyn's (sp?) Contracture, which can be relieved by a simple op. I think it's where the ligaments start to gradually tighten up, causing toes or fingers (can be one or several) to bend over and lose flexibility.

I have it on one of my toes, but it isn't bad enough to warrant an op and might never be.

Please don't assume it's just another thing that you have to live with. If you get it checked out you might be able to get help.

Duptreyn's is a genetic condition. Apparently it originated in Scandinavia, so if you have it, it means you have Viking ancestry!
  4. Yucca13

Yucca13 Member

Hi Pirt,
    The description of your finger with the last knuckle bigger than the rest and tender sounds the same way I would describe my middle finger on my left hand.

I was told that it is an inheritance (my mother has the same thing on a couple of her fingers, but not too much arthritis otherwise).

They are described in my Taber's medical dictionary as: hard nodules or enlargements of tubercles of last phalanges of fingers; seen in osteoarthritis.

A good doctor or rheumatologist should be able to tell you for sure.

I've asked about surgery and they don't usually operate on them unless they get very bothersome. So, not to worry!!
    Val
  5. Defor

Defor New Member

Hi,

If it is Dupuytren's contracture...you must be distantly related to my husband because he has it too...(only joking!)

It's also called the 'Viking Disease' because it only affects descendants of Frederick Clawhand, the Viking.

We only heard this a few years ago and strangly enough, the small village where my husband's family lived used to be a Viking settlement.

Defor.