Degenerative Disc Disease and FM?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cinlou, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Who among us have been diagnosed with DDD along with FM?
    How do you stop the cycle of cervical neck pain, and the muscle spasms of the FM?
    I have had 2 cervical epidurals that seemed to help the pain in the neck, but then the muscles in the neck spasms causes horrible pain in the neck shoulder and back.
    How do you tell the difference between the pain of the two?

I have been so miserable!! Now I have new pain in the collar bone too.
    It seems to be a visious circle... my Pain Management doc says we need to break the cycle...
    He has given me trigger injections too... I go to a massage therapist also...
    Does anyone else have a similar problem? What do you do??
    I use Iced Chee also on my neck (a cream my MT gave me)
    I need some suggestions.
    PM doc hasn't Rx any pain meds (am alerergic to most)
    This seems to be an endless battle.
    Help!
    Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 06/19/2006]
  2. elizajane40

elizajane40 New Member

So sorry to hear of all the pain you are in. I had a ruptured disk at 6 5/6 that was placing pressure on both sides of my spine. I had surgery for that, but I believe it too them so long to diagnose and treat the cause and pain that I got fibromyalgia. In addition to the fibro I have arthritis in my lower spine.

I had the neck epidurals too. It brought relief for about 2 weeks. I am currently on a non-narcotic pain reliever called tramadol. I take two 50 mg tablets twice daily whether I am in pain or not per my doctor's instruction. I has been really helpful.

I would suggest that you try a combination of meds and alternative treatments and try to move around as much as you can. Even if it's just stretching in a sitted position at first. Good luck and I hope I helped!
  3. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

llyn,
    Thanks for the reply, I also lie down and take flexeral and tylenol. If I can just lie there and not move it helps. I am off of work for the summer. I plan on resting and getting a handle on this DD! If not I think I may retire, I can retire in March if I can last that long!
    I am so sorry you have this same problem. It just isn't fun, is it!
    Take Care,
    Cindy
    Elizajane,
    Thank you for the suggestion for pain med, I am going to ask PM doc and see what he says.

So sorry about you having this D-DDD and FM.
    This Message Board is so wonderful. We are all in this together with our many various aches and pains.
    It helps, and makes me realize there is always someone worse off than me.
    Regards,
    Cindy
  4. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

WakeMeUp,
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply!
    I have done traction also, at PT and also I have one at home that I can use. Yes, it does take the pressure off.
    You have just validated my thoughts on why it helps to lie down and take the pressure off. What is IDD??
    Can you elaborate?
    Thanks,
    Cindy
  5. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i am at a lost...i have it throught my spine...and joints..etc..read my bio..tendonitis that won't go away..

he told me no trigger point injections..i agree...done them years ago...

he said maybe acupuncture....and a chronic pain class. i have done one...they wanted to stick me in one where you have to have a sponsor every friday afternoon...well first i have no family members...second the friends that i do have have little kids to take care of....

anyways...ice your neck down...

jodie
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have spinal stenosis in lower lumbar, # 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6.
    i finally went to Pain Management and have 2 different spinal epidurals. They did not work.

Next step was lumbar nerve blocks. that involved needles in 4 places on each side of lower spine. It didn't work so Dr. did another fully expecting it not to work.

Nex step is RadioFrequency Lesioning day after tomorrow (Wed). That involves needles in the same areas, then another needle put in that spot which sends electric current to nerve endings. They will numb the ends of nerves and burn them as to stopn pain. It is a long procedure and i must be awake and on stomach. It can last from 6 mon to 2 yrs.

Say a prayer for me that it works. I have been in SO much pain with it and FM.

I will post a thread about the sucess of it.

jjoan
  7. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

8. renney25

renney25 New Member

My FMS was dx-d a few years ago. I've had demobilizing spasms in back for the past several years. I'm quite sure my FMS halted my DDD dx. Doc told me it was FMS and I just had to learn to live with it.

The herniated discs were causing muscle spasms, which were triggering and worsening fibro symptoms. (I now realize.)

---

Laying down is the only way to relieve the neck pressure. I also take muscle relaxers, ibuprofen, and smoke marijuana to help with pain and muscle tension.

9. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

To all that have replied to my post, thank you, you all have been so helpful.
    No, I have never had my neck just give out. That sounds so scarey!
    ((((hugs to all)))
    Cindy
  10. romanshopper

romanshopper New Member

I have it - mild said the report 2 years ago, and bone spurs l1-L4. I also have scoliosis, but I wasn't told what degree it was.

My orthopedist said that the back stuff is made worse by the compensation that I put on my back due to my foot.

I told my pain doc that though - and he said who doesn't have that stuff ? I dunno about that, my back just kills me most days. He did order some more xrays. So far I really like him.
  11. FM_DD

FM_DD New Member

Cindy, I understand where you are coming from. I have had 2 cervical epidurals and 2 cervical facet injections. My PM just tried Radio Frequency Cervical block a few weeks ago and it seems to have helped some. I have been getting these in my lower back due to DDD in lumber mostly. Most of my lower back pain is gone! The RF shots build on each other and sometimes completely kill the nerve causing the pain. Talk to you PM about these and read up on them. Its weird how they work.

Also, not sure if you can use them but I use Lidoderm patches (just a local pain med) on my neck/shoulder/collar bone area. They will numb the area for about 8 hrs. I just got my new drivers license pic and I wear them so much that I forgot I had it on and its sticking out of the edge of my shirt in the picture. How goofy, huh? But I don't care, just as long as I don't have the pain, right?

Good luck!
    Cathy
  12. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Cindy, yes, I have this problem in my lower back primarily. I get the best relief from my chiropractor. Sorry, I don't know that this was the info you wanted.... One more doctor...

Marta