Degenerative Osteoarthritis

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by MildredAnn, May 8, 2003.

1. MildredAnn

MildredAnn New Member

I've just been diagnosed with degenerative osteoarthritis. I have numerous health problems including fibromyalgia. Are these 2 arthritis's related? How do you treat and deal with degenerative osteoarthritis? Thanks.
  2. kredca4

kredca4 New Member

Fibromyalgia is not a form of Arthritis, but share's some of the symptoms. Mainly what is happening, is the FMS is making your OA hurt worse. That's as easy a way that I know of explaining this FMS and OA.

I have both, plus CMP (Chronic Myofascial Pain,) and Spinal Stenosis. I have Degenerative Disc Disease in my Spine at the C4/5 and it;s causing me Horrible pain for the last 2 weeks.

Have you read Dr. Devin Starlanyl's book's, she put's everthing into Plain English, so even I was able to understand what was happening to me. She also has a website, if you type her name into your search engine you'll get a few links to her.

This site also has some great articles in their Library, but not a whole lot on CMP,
    I treat my Symptom's with a mixture of Range of Motion excerise, walking, slowly, but I have managed to increase my distance since I started 2 years ago.
    I use any kind of Moist heat I can get, like Towels nuke in the Micro are great, just becare not to set the timer for more than a min and a half, and wet the towek first, then wrap it in a Towel, so you won't Burn yourself.
    I like to lay in bed for this treatment.

I take Very Very Warm Shower's and let the water beat on the sore spot's. Then I do use a massager for the tough area's.

I do take Pain med's, Vicodin, Soma and Vistril help me the most with the Pain and Stiffness and Muscle spasams.

I also love to have Swedish Soft Tissue Massages, when I can afford it, that is. Sometimes the Ins will pick it up, but I just recently changed to a HMO, so I don't think they will cover this.

Do some research on the OA, it has so many weird symptoms that I chalked off to the FMS, like the Cysts on my hands, they are from the OA. I also have Carpal Tunnel, but the surgery I had on the right didn't help, and I still have Pain from that.

I can hardly type like I use to, only when my Pain meds are at work do I get on the Computer lately. Try just reading, but I always have to say something about something, ya know?

What Dr. are you seeing ? a Rhumotoligst treats my FMS, my Orhtopedic Dr. treat's the OA and DDD, my new PCP, will be treating the rest of my Condition's. So far so good with the new Doc.

Sincerely
    kredca4/sharon

excuse the bad spelling, I can blame it on my meds, lol.