Degree of Incapcacitation PLEASE Respond

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Gretchen12, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Gretchen12

Gretchen12 New Member

I would so much appreciate if members of this board will please tell me their activity abilities.

In using the rating scale used in Bruce Campbell's Self-Help Course I am at 20--meaning I am only able to leave my apartment once or twice a week. This is only to do the bare necessities of going to the grocery store or drugstore.
    I am so exhausted when I return that I can hardly put things up.

The fatigue, pain, and sensory overload are indescribable.

Using the computer is becoming too much for me--increases fatigue and sensory overload. I hate to have to give this up as well because you all mean so much to me.

Thanks for your replies,

Gretchen
  2. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have fibro, arthritis, degenerative disc disease, degenerative facet disease, ibs, gerd, sleep apnea, esophogeal spasms, 2 movement disorders, and allergies.

I don't feel I am totally incapacitated although these illnesses certainly play a huge role in my life.

I still work full time in an administrative position. It is horribly difficult to keep working. I do have a harder time concentrating and suffer from great fatigue.

Fatigue, to me that word doesn't convey the total exhaustion I feel.

The good thing about my job is I can take off when I need to or work a flex schedule. I supervise elections for our county. That job has a great number of responsibilitie and stress associated and during even numbered years (busier election cycle) I have to work overtime. I've had to learn to delegate and that was hard.

But I need the income and the insurance. I would be uninsurable. It also serves as a distraction from the pain at times.

The bad thing is I am wiped out after I go home. I rarely cook and have someone clean my house once a week. I still do the laundry.

But I don't go anywhere else except to the grocery store and church. I can't drive long distances. Preferably no longer than 1/2 hour.

I feel isolated and miserable a lot of the time just like a lot of other people on this board.

3. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

I've always found it hard to rate myself on Bruce Campbells scale but I would say I'm about a 20%.

I am able to take care of my personal needs most of the time and sometimes can leave the house 1-2 times a week, if my husband takes me, without making my symptoms worse. He has been out of town more than usual lately so I had to do the grocery shopping last week. I use the scooter at the store and I was still sick for 2 days afterwards.

I have truoble with the computer too sometimes. Try limiting your time or take a day off and hopefully you will begin to feel better.

Shar
  4. ChristineInPA

ChristineInPA New Member

But, I have not left the house in at least a month.

Fortunately, my husband does the shopping. I decided to take a break from my doctors, so I haven't HAD to go anywhere in a while.

I live in a 3-unit apartment building on the second floor. It is difficult for me to go downstairs (only one flight) to the lobby, as I have severe joint pain.

Even showering has become difficult, so that's something I don't do as often as I did when I was working.

I spend most of my days on the couch. If I have a migraine, I spend the day in bed.

Currently there is a mountain of dishes that need to be washed and an incredible amount of laundry that needs to be done.

I really should have a part-time housecleaner, but I can't afford it.

I would say I am at the most 10% functional, just guessing.

I hope you feel better. Check in periodically. I don't post here regularly, as my health does not permit, but this site is truly a life saver.

Best wishes,
    Christine
  5. desertlass

desertlass New Member

I think 50% is the highest I am given to use when I'm not in a bad flare. My fms never goes away, but the CFS comes and goes, but when it does, it is wicked. I can barely move or be more than semi-conscious for days on end, then I climb back out with doing my own ADLs, then reading, then a few chores, then finally, can drive for a short errand. I spend most of my available energy on my kids, hubby and trying to get better.

That's the shape of it. Hope that helps.

Lisette
  6. dolphin3

dolphin3 New Member

Iam unable to go downstairs, not had a shower or bath in 2yrs though i do use babywipes to clean so im not smelly i have really gone downhill last 3yrs.I can only sit at computer 3 times a week for about 20 minutes in the evening oh what i would give to feel the wind and rain on my face love dolphin3
  7. vickiw

vickiw Member

I'm about a 20 on Bruce Campbell's rating scale. I very rarely get out on my own. I go out once or twice a week, but my husband drives and my activities are very limited.

I use a laptop computer in my bed, but even so, I have to limit my time on it. I recently started to read again, but I have to keep the material fairly simple. Even thinking too hard wears me out - especially if it's about something that I feel is stressful - like letters or forms from the disability company.

8. jmcdelaney

jmcdelaney New Member

Boy, I really have to stop feel in so depressed about my pain.

I guess if I go by that scale I would be really well off. I wake up feeling cruddy, cry and stretch at the same time. I am pretty much able to do what I need to.

I have had to give up mowing my own lawn (darn it), my passion (beading), I have difficulty frequently doing things like folding sheets, putting away stuff above my shoulders and below my waist (have to be careful not to drop), picking stuff up (even little things like my purse if I make the mistake of tossing it into the back seat), drying my hair, shaving my legs/arm pits, washing my hair...I can do these things, but it is very uncomfortable and exausting. I have to really take my time so I don't make a bigger mess. But at least I am still able to do them.

I leave the house daily, but I have to say that being in the car for even 5 minutes is SO uncomfortable. My muscles are screaming for my massage chair the entire ride.

So, over all I guess I have it pretty good. I hope you all get better.

Joann