Dehydration and Inflight Water Shortages

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Now that passengers are not allowed to bring liquids aboard aircrafts, the only way to get fluids is when the airline staff serves them.

Today I took a trip on United Airlines back home to Chicago from San Francisco. On the trip to SF, I had a hard time getting the flight attendants to give me more than one small cup of water (6 oz at most) every couple of hours, and so today I decided to inform them that I had a health condition and ask them if they would make sure that I had sufficient water to remain hydrated throughout the trip.

The flight attendants told me that the airline had to restrict the amount of water was brought on each flight because of the weight, and that they therefore could not offer assurance that passengers would have as much water as they requested. One flight attendant made the additional comment that on one of her recent flights, water was not delivered on time and thus the flight departed with almost no water for passenger consumption.

The flight attendants then told me that they would make sure that I had enough water on the flight this time, but that in the future I should bring a doctor's note so that I would receive priority if water needed to be rationed.

Dehydration is often noted as a symptom of CFS. (The reason is apparently that weak adrenal glands to not produce enough aldosterone, the substance that allows the body to retain fluids.)

I thought I would share this information with you for two reasons.

1. You may want to ask your doctor to write a note stating that you have a special need for hydration, to present on the plane if you need it.

2. You may want to ask your doctor if s/he would be willing to write to one or more airlines stating that dehydration on airlines may be a serious health hazard for some people. Other conditions have even more serious consequences than CFS, and so this should be of concern to your doctor regardless of his/her feelings about CFS.

Sending these letters directly to the legal department would seem to be best, since if airlines are warned in advance and then have a passenger suffer serious or fatal consequences as a result of dehydration, their legal liability will be higher than if they haven't been warned.

I don't know how airlines other than United are handling the water situation. When I called United's customer service, they said they did not have a specific policy about this in place--just that passengers were to be served "a beverage" during the flight.

Please post if you have any further information about this topic. Thanks!

Lisa Petrison[This Message was Edited on 09/15/2006]
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

3. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

i know this may not be ideal but you could bring an empty water bottle and fill it from the tap in the washroom. at least it's a way to get water to take your meds.
    rachel
  4. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The signs in the bathroom say not to drink the water there.
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I have been so concerned about this. I have Sjogren's along with the rest. When I fly, I bring extra water, get water from the attendants also, wear a humidify around my neck, nasal saline sprays, eye drops. And this is just for a two hour trip.

I dread flying again and do a lot to visit family.....

:(

June