dehydration

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by catalina, May 25, 2003.

1. catalina

catalina New Member

The last time I posted a message I figured my days were numbered, I was so sick. Eventually, three weekends ago, I ended up again at the local urgent care center. Finally I had treatment that worked...the doctor asked me what antibiotics I was allergic to or had problems with...so he prescribed one that did good, and no harm. And he prescribed Lomotil as I had chronic and severe diarrhea, and vomiting. Within a week I was cured of all these symptoms, plus others I thought were related to something else, possibly fibromyalgia. Apparently my problem had been dehydration all along...caused by frequent bouts with diarrhea. Now it all seems under control, I'm feeling great, I have saliva in my mouth for the first time in I can't remember when! And I can taste food, so I have an appetite. I can swallow again, no spasms, no heartburn, no joint pains. I feel 20 years younger! I hope this gives other sufferers something to think about. Dehydration and hypoglycemia have very similar symptoms. I knew I was hypoglycemic, so treated that. Emergency treatment for both is the same...IV fluids with glucose. But now that deydration is gone...I don't have hypoglycemic problems.
    Depression, too, is greatly lifted. Energy returned. I can live again. I am taking generic Imodium, loperamide 2mgs, OTC, and inexpensive, to be sure I have no further problem with diarrhea. Strange, tho, it does not make me drowsy as it once had.
  2. Cara-Sue

Cara-Sue New Member

great news for you,i am glad you are feeling better!was it ibs that you had?if you are not careful you can dehydrate thats for sure.
    i had symptems of hypoglycimia but when i did the blood test to check my sugars they were fine.i find when i get tested for things like quick heart beat,chest pain,they never come out as anything but normal.good in a way but then the dr thinks you are making them up.
    anyways glad you are feeling better!
  3. tansy

tansy New Member

We need to drink plenty of it. Dehydration, as you pointed out, can cause symptoms similar to these DDs; if we have them we also need to guard against dehydration. Believe the theory on low blood volume is linked to this too.

Anyone trying to detoxify their bodies through diet, supplements, herbs, guai +++ needs to drink enough water to flush everything out.

It's one of those simple things that people so often miss.

I always beleive we should start out dealing with the simplest and most obvious things first, it's all too easy to get lost in the maze of information that's accessible to us now.

It's good that you highlighted this Catalina.

Cheers

Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 05/25/2003]
  4. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Good point with the warmer weather coming on.

A person can dehydrate in only two hours at a temp as low as 80 degrees - So drink up!

Lane
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

So glad to hear you are alright and feeling good too.

I am one of those people that never drank water. Well I read a book about it, and started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day, and in a week I felt like a new person.

Like someone one else said, we just never think of the little things, but water is a very big thing for our bodies.

My whole body felt better, even the fog is not near as bad as it used to be. I think my brain was totally running on empty!

Even my skin looks better, it puffs up your face too. My sinus attacks are few now, where as I would get five to six a week before the water. All headaches are mostly gone, sinus, migraine, and cluster. It was amazing.

I keep the exact amount of water I need to drink out in two bottles, this I do at night before bed, if I try to just drink water, I will forget all about it.

So I fill the bottles, then each day put two out, one by the computer the other by the sofa. If I drink it all, then I get another one.

This has turned into a religious ritual with me, thats how important it is, thats how much better I feel better. I make sure I don't forget.

Shalom, Shirl

6. catalina

catalina New Member

To all who replied to my earlier posting...thank you! And my comments to add...on hypoglycemia, my doctor, who also has it himself, says you have to be almost dead before it shows up in a blood test now. I was diagnosed back in the days of the 5 hr. glucose tolerance test. Even with severe symptoms it does not show up, as I can attest now. And I drank water constantly, along with Gatorade, and other clear liquids...but it went right through me and I was still dehydrated. I had IV fluids at least twice a week also, but remained dehydrated. The only explanation I've had for the chronic and severe diarrhea was 'gastroenteritis' which covers a multitude of things, and surely I could not have had an infection that lasted well over two years, but was not diagnosed, altho I'd had several tests for a cause. It was the Lomotil which took control, and the antibiotic, a derivative of penicillin. Once the diarrhea was stopped I got well so fast I couldn't believe it. I've also started taking HGH again, and dropping some other supplements. Of course they'd gone right through me quickly before. I had read of HGH as a cure for fibromyalgia. I had no idea that dehydration also meant no appetite, no taste! That's another thing that amazes me.
  7. rosebud41298

rosebud41298 New Member

WELL FIRST OF ALL I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH HYPOGLYCEMIA MANY MANY YEARS AGO WHEN I HAD A 40 HR GLUCOSE TEST IN THE HOSPITAL AND WAS ONLY ALLOWED TEA & CELERY!!!! OF COURSE THEY DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE. BUT ANYONE WOULD BE HYPOGLYCEMIC BY THEN!!!!! ANYWAYS, I HAD TO WATCH WHAT I EAT, ETC. AND IT DID HELP WITH THE SYMPTOMS I WAS SHOWING. NOW I DON'T HAVE IT UNLESS I WAIT TOO LONG TO EAT OR SO.

A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO I HAD A BAD BOUT OF DIAREHEA WAS OFF WORK 3 DAYS!! AT WHICH IMMODIUM DIDN'T WORK AND WAS FINALLY PUT ON LOMITIL. THIS HELPED ALMOST IMMEDIATELY.

I DON'T LIKE WATER! THEREFORE, I DON'T DRINK MUCH OF IT. I DRINK TEA AND FRUIT JUICES, BUT NO POP. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

You have got to drink water! No one disliked water worst then me. I would actually choke trying to drink water.

I bought a few bottles of bottled water in the store, finally found one that didn't gag/choke me. Its Evian water, its very light and the taste is not bad.

If you read my post on this thread, I do drink half my body weight in ounces of water everyday, it is so necessary for us, or anyone else for that matter.

Juices, tea, etc. does not cut it! You have to drink water alone.

Do what I did, go try a few small bottles of different brands and see which one you can tolerate.

But drink your water!!!!!!!!!

Shalom, Shirl
  9. judywhit

judywhit New Member

I feel for me that dehydration is a big problem. I drink water but never feel that this qwenches my thirst. I went and bought "emer'gen C" today. Instant electrolyte mixed in water/ tangerine flavor. It has 1000mg vitC high potassium and tons of minerals. Many flavors to choose from. When out riding I get very dry and sometimes lightheaded from the heat. I know I give myhorses electrolytes so I am going to take care of me too.
    Look this up at alacercorp (with the net coms)Chuck Norris swears buy this stuff.
    Glad to hear you are doing better. we need to remind each other to do the extra's like hydrate ourselves!
    Judy
  10. catalina

catalina New Member

Again, I had so many great replies I'll not waste the message board space replying to each separately! It amazed me to learn that I'm not the only one who has a problem drinking a lot of water. I had to force myself to do it.
    One of the substitutes I use, besides Gatorade mixed with water, is flat ginger ale. I learned that years ago when I worked in a hospital, and should have been on it sooner with my recent problems. I put about four ice cubes in a glass, fill it with ginger ale, and leave it sit in the fridge, sipping on it often after it is flat, which happens quickly. I feel that the ginger also helped my nausea. I'm still doing well, and taking less Imodium...down to 2 per day now. Now I'm going out to work in my yard...so I'll need extra water and ginger ale!