Deja Vu linked to chronic pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KelB, Feb 6, 2006.

1. KelB

KelB New Member

Found this interesting little article on the BBC web site, which links episodes of deja vu to chronic pain (mentioned in para 8). Didn't know if anyone here might find it interesting?

Real-life Groundhog Days studied

Many of us occasionally feel we are repeating experiences
    Most people have the sensation they have done certain things before, but for some the feeling is constant.
    Trapped in their own 'Groundhog Day', they believe they have experienced unique events before.

A team at Leeds University was moved to investigate the phenomenon after seeing a patient convinced he had already been to his friend's funeral.

The researchers suggest the extreme deja vu is caused by a faulty memory process.

The patient who triggered the researchers' interest was referred to the memory clinic at Leeds University by his GP, but initially refused to attend because he was wrongly convinced he had been there before.

He even "remembered" specific details about times and places he had met the doctor at the clinic.

The man, who was in his 80s and had dementia, also described how all the programmes on TV had been on before, and - perhaps more unusually - that he could hear the same bird singing the same song in the same tree every time he went out.

Publicity about the case led around 10 other sufferers of the condition to come forward - many of whom were younger than the initial case.

However, all had conditions such as head injury or chronic pain which the researchers believe is linked to the deja vu.

Dr Chris Moulin, who is leading the research, said: "It is a new symptom, not a syndrome."

But he said it could significantly affect sufferers' lives.

He said chronic deja vu sufferers were overwhelmed by the sensation, even causing depression in some.

Dr Moulin hopes studying people with the condition will help understand memory.

"We think the symptom is caused by a failure in the temporal lobe, where a circuit which is fired up when someone remembers something is malfunctioning".

He suggested that, in a person with chronic deja vu, this circuit is either overactive or permanently switched on, creating memories where none exist.

Dr Moulin added: "Chronic deja vu sufferers need the reassurance that they're not alone and we need them to help us learn more about who has it, what causes it, and why."

Online version here:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4671380.stm
  2. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

I will never forget my first experience of deja vu... I was about 10 or 11 years old... I bent over in my backyard to pick up a white rock (the chalky type of rock that you could write on concrete with)... as I stood up I felt like I had been there and done that before....

Since then I have had several such experiences that made me shake my head...knowing that I had been there and done that very thing before.

...and when it happens I always stand there trying to remember if there was anything more I did "back when it happened before"...

a quick brain seziure does seem to be a good explaination...it's like doing something and then somebody hitting rewind for a brief moment and you see yourself doing it again...but for some reason you think more time has passed between the two episodes...almost like a lifetime ago but you were the same age and everything...

I have also had the feeling that perhaps some other person had done the same thing and I was getting a glimps into many years back when they were doing it...like holding the object helped me to connect with someone in another lifetime???

Silly I know.
  3. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

that so few have identified with this.

Bumping back to see if maybe it was just missed.
  4. debfee11

debfee11 New Member

I occasionally have that feeling also. It seems to happen a lot for a couple of weeks and then it may not occur again for anther year. Also I totally agree with Stormyskye. Love Debness XXX
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I've also had several dreams which have seemed to come true. Don't know what to think of it.

Sofi
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is trying to deal with the one directional dimention of time. No one knows why time goes only in one direction. I believe that every once in a while, the future and past can "touch" one another. It may be possible that those with especially sensitive brains can experience deja vu or look into and predict the future.

Injury and illness may make one's brain more sensitive. Interesting articke. Thanks.

Love, Mikie
  7. grayfryer

grayfryer New Member

the deja vu has happened to me a number of times and you do have to question your sanity at the time as the experience is so real
  8. Chermione

Chermione New Member

I have experienced it many times as well. Sometimes just quick little thoughts that I've done something before or seen something before. Other times I have a longer memory of it, like I was there in a past life or something. I don't know how that relates to pain, the idea of quantum physics is very interesting, I like watching shows on that stuff. If it was seizures wouldn't that show up on MRI's or any other medical tests?
  9. jake123

jake123 New Member

This is something we share among my four sisters. When my youngest sister had her baby in San Francisco at the NIH, I went out to be with her. We already knew from sonograms that he would need surgery for a herniated diaphragm - half of it was not there - and his organs had drifted into his chest and had not allowed his left lung to develop.
    I was sitting in a chair holding him and Pam was putting up a mobile and a nurse walked in and I was stunned, absolutely shocked to see someone who was identical to my grandmother (who lived in England and had died in 1986). Pam saw the look on my face and turned around and looked and said Oh my gosh! Lynda!! There's grandmother. The nurse didn't look like she appreciated it so I said you look like our grandmother in her younger days. The experience still gives me a thrill.
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've had this many times. More when I was younger. I remember actually trying to have it as I found it fascinating. One time when I was about 12 or so, I remember sitting at Grandpa's funeral and thinking that it had all happened previously.

Interesting. Prior to his death, I'm not sure exactly when but perhaps a period of 2 weeks or so, I told Mom and Dad that he "wouldn't be around much longer." This was totally out of the blue! The day he died, I was at school. I had to go lay down as I was sick. My aunt that worked at the school told me later that at the time I checked into the infirmary, Grandpa had died. I was at my Grandma's when everyone went to the funeral parlor. I was alone. I heard a thumping down the hallway, kind of like the sound that Grandpa made when he tapped the wall with his cane. I looked that direction and saw a white thing pass by the hall door. I was close to my Grandfather. I remember all this just like it was the other day.

I've had other experiences like these, but they have lessened as I've grown older.

Interesting thread! However, I can't say that déjà vu is related to pain, or I'd have it more now.
  11. KelB

KelB New Member

Thanks for all your replies - what an interesting bunch we are! We do have such a wealth of strange experiences between us. I don't have chronic pain myself, but have had a couple of very odd "premonitions" myself.

The strongest one involved my grandmother. I was doing some shopping locally and I car I didn't recognise drove past me. For some reason, I turned round and watched it as it was moving away from me - and my grandmother was in the back seat, smiling and waving at me. I was very surprised as she lives 100 miles away and my parents hadn't told me she would be visiting (they live near me).

As soon as I got home, I rang my parents in a bit of a huff at not being told. As soon as Mum heard my voice, she said "Oh no! We meant to phone you and forgot - Granny decided to come and stay for a few days at short notice, so Dad drove up to get her yesterday evening. Can you come for dinner?" I told her that of course I could come over, but couldn't they have dropped by my flat earlier, as they'd been so close?

There was a pause and my Mum said "But we haven't left the house all day. Granny's too tired to go anywhere so we've all been sitting in the back garden enjoying the sun."

How amazing was that?!
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My Mom lets us all know she is still around even though she died almost four years ago. We have had a lot of premonitions in our family. BTW, John Edward is going to have a new show on the WE channel on cable. I love to watch him. He tells people things that there is no way he could otherwise know, despite what the critics say.

No one could have known what a psychic told my SIL about Mom and me. My SIL and daughter didn't even know about it.

Love, Mikie
  13. gypsysoul

gypsysoul New Member

here's a bump.
  14. Manina

Manina New Member

I believe Deja Vu starts before we get here on this earth.

Before we are born we know (in Spirit) who we are going to be born to , we also know what things are going to happen in our lives.

Remember we have no knoweldge of this in our minds, that was left in Heaven.

It is of this previous memory seeing our life as it will be that we encounter this Deja Vu.

Of course this is my opinion , and a few others.

15. sues1

sues1 New Member

So many it is hard to pick one out. One was when I phoned another city about a book they were publishing. I was told that the person who could answer my questions was out. They took my name and phone number.

A little while after that something on the radio made me think of Sylvia Brown saying that our loved ones do contact us after they pass on. We just do not open our minds to it.

I thought, sure, well my dear friend Jane never contacted me, nad its been years. (I was with her when she died of a illness in Fla).

An hr. later the phone rang and the person on the other end said, JANE? I said no you must have the wrong number. They said strange they gave me the name Jane from Fla. Is your phone number..blah blah...I said yes, but I live in Ohio but you must be calling about the book.(she was).

I did not think of it when I got the call. But after I hung up......I got goose bumps and tears and said Thanks Jane, I love you too.

I hinestly did not think of Jane that day and did not think of her until a while after I placed that call. Susan
  16. puddin827

puddin827 New Member

Yep....have had that numerous times and it is WILD ! It's like "i have been here and done this already ,but when was it? Kinda scarey.
  17. bluemoon1monday

bluemoon1monday New Member

have experienced this rather mysterious phenomonen. Especially, as others have said when younger.

I believe that we each leave an imprint of ourselves on objects that we touch. As time is continously traveling forward, those imprints get left behind for others coming later in our pathway of life to touch and have a feeling of our having experienced it before...therefore a deja vu.

May the imprints of your life be a deja vu later!

Bluemoon
  18. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

As mentioned by Skeesix and others, happened quite a bit when I was a kid. Not any more though.

Of course, I can't be certain but I believe this phemenon is related to the sun's rays. As we all know the sun emits many kinds of rays in addition to light and heat: radio waves, x-ray, infa-red, ultraviolet, etc.

Since the deja vu ray are at the far (short) end of the spectrum, it follows that would most often strike short people, i.e. kids.

I hope this has been helpful.

19. ANNXYZ

ANNXYZ New Member

I doubt it has anything to do with brain trauma or malfunction.

Frankly , I wonder if it possible that we have truly
    experienced certain things before ! It seeems so vivid and
    real often times - even miniscule details .