Delayed Food Allergy Testing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

How many have had this testing done and have found it to be helpful as far as reducing symptoms of CFS?

Thank you.

2. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Marlene,

I have FM, not CFS, but I believe that the food sensitivities that develop for all of us can cause the same types of symptoms.

I had the testing through Sage Med Lab in February and did a 5 month elimination diet. It was the MOST HELPFUL thing I have done I took Famvir for 6 months.

Of the 22 foods/ingredients that I tested sensitive to, I now know that I should avoid cane sugar and high fructose corn syrup because they contribute to my pain, stiffness, soreness, brain fog and itching.

The other foods I can eat in moderation as long as I take digestive enzymes, since they cause some intestinal distress.

I was skeptical of this testing and whether it would help me, but I am SO glad I did it.

I highly recommend it to anyone. The elimination phase of the diet is important, so you can tell what symptom(s) each sensitive food causes you to have.

I have posted alot of info on this topic in case you are interested in reading could just click on my screen name. Good luck to you!
  3. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

During the 19 years that I have had CFS I have had a lot of digestive problems. They seem to be getting much worse and I need to have some answers and help for this.

I have checked the Sage Medical Lab web site. If I see my family doctor, can he order this or do I order the kit and take it to him. Do they do the regular allergy testing as well as the delayed testing?

Since you have used this lab, Nanie, maybe you can give me some help.

Thank you.
  4. Nanie46

Nanie46 Moderator

Hi Marlene,
    Your Dr can order the testing, but it was very easy for me because my Dr co-owns this lab.

There is a phone # on the website you can call if you have any questions and they will help you.

I think there is a page with all the info the Dr needs to have to order it.

You can check with your insurance co. also about coverage. I found that as long as the Dr submitted the right diagnoses, the insurance co. paid.

The insurance co. will be looking for diagnoses related to the digestive tract, like IBS, etc.

I don't think they do the immediate allergy testing at Sage Med Lab, but you can call and ask daughter called for info and they were very helpful. Good luck!

5. munch1958

munch1958 Member

Testing is expensive. Some insurance companies don't cover it. My results are in my profile.

From my own experience I think food allergy testing should be used to confirm what you may have learned from doing a food elimination diet followed by a rotation diet.

A blood test is not the same as actually eating the food. Some labs use pure antigens but you may be reacting to the pesticides if the antigen was taken from organic food.

Here is a good guide:
  6. ILmom

ILmom New Member

I just wanted to share my experience with Sage Medical Laboratories, in case it helps anyone else out. I did the delayed food allergy testing through Sage and it came back saying I was supposedly allergic to 23 different things – many of them very common things (milk & milk products, wheat, corn, gluten, soy, egg) and some of them things I never eat (such as saccharine, aspartame, and codfish). I strictly followed the 6 week total elimination diet, and had some improvement. However, it didn’t totally solve my issue (reflux). At the end of the 6 weeks, I didn’t strictly follow their method of reintroducing foods, though certain foods (milk and wheat) I continued to avoid. Six months later – frustrated that my root problem still persisted – I decided to redo the test to see if there was something new that I was allergic to that was causing the trouble.<BR>
    When I got that second test back, I realized that the supposed “science” behind this testing simply isn’t there. My new test showed that I supposedly had 26 allergies, but only ELEVEN of them were the ones on the last test! Somehow I was magically not allergic to TWELVE items, and suddenly allergic to FIFTEEN new items. Most telling, some of the new allergies were things that I hadn’t consumed in the last year (if ever) – such as crab and lobster! I contacted Sage to express how upset I was about the dramatically different results. They blamed the new allergies on the fact that I did not strictly follow the reintroduction instructions. When I pressed as to how that could possibly cause a new allergy to a food I haven’t consumed, the doctor admitted that the test isn’t perfect and can have “some” false positives. Nevertheless, they stand by their test and refused to refund my wasted money for the second test.<BR>
    I want to be clear that I don’t think the people at Sage are “evil” or just out to take your money. They were actually quite nice and the doctor spent a lot of time with me on the phone trying to justify their test. However, I just think that the science is just not solid enough, especially considering the high cost of the test and the even higher personal cost of trying to eliminate such a high number of things from your diet – many of which are probably perfectly safe for you to eat. You would be better off just trying to eliminate the most common triggers (such as milk, gluten, soy, egg and corn) for a few weeks and see if that makes you feel better. I didn’t ask, but I suspect that a high percentage of the Sage test results tell people they are allergic to some or all of those five items anyway). I hope this is helpful!<BR>