Delicious, easy, low-carb Valentine's Dessert

Discussion in 'Nutrition and Recipes For Patients' started by jkennedy, Feb 13, 2015.

1. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hah! I thought that would get your attention.

This recipe for Chocolate Coconut Mousse is from Dr. Perlmutter's book Grain Brain.

• 1 can full-fat coconut milk
    • 3 TBS cocoa powder
    • 1-2 tsp stevia, to taste.
    • Optional: shredded coconut, almond butter, cinnamon
    1. Chill unopened can of coconut milk in the refrigerator overnight.
    2. Scoop out the solidified cream into a mixing bowl and beat with a whisk or an electric mixer until softened. It shouldn't liquify.
    3. Add cocoa powder and stevia and continue beating until the mousse is light and fluffy.
    4. Top with coconut, almond butter, or cinnamon and serve.
    I varied his recipe a little. I used less cocoa powder, and I sweetened it with xylitol instead of stevia since I like the taste better. I didn't add much xylitol since coconut milk has a natural sweetness.

Instead of his suggested flavorings, I added vanilla extract and cardamon, in addition to a little cinnamon.

You could also garnish it with nuts, mint, or chocolate curls, made by using a peeler on chilled chocolate.

I thought it was delicious, and so simple.
  2. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi, JK,

My mouth is watering, with the possibilities!

I've made whipped cream before, using the whipping cream from the cartons. But never from coconut milk.

I won't be making the recipe this weekend, but I will be trying it. I'll let you know how much I like it -- 'cause I already know that it will be delicious.

I enjoy substitutions too. I was thinking some cocoa powder, sweetener, and nutmeg. Hmmm. The possibilities are endless.......

Thanks for posting!

Diane

PS: I haven't read the Grain Brain book, but have you tried homemade pumpkin custard? I don't think there are any "GRAINS" in there. Pumpkin, spices, "milk", eggs .... bake in the oven for about 50 minutes. I assume you could use any "milk" you desired. And, to me, pumpkin and coconut go together well. Just a thought! :)
  3. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Hi, @ConfusedInPA. I love pumpkin. Do you have a recipe for the custard?
  4. ConfusedInPA

ConfusedInPA Well-Known Member

Hi JK,

I found this in my email archives -- I sent it to my hubby for printing (so I didn't have to re-type it).

PUMPKIN CUSTARD

Makes 6 to 8 servings

INGREDIENTS
    3/4 cup sugar or Splenda
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
    1-1/4 cups half-and-half

PREPARATION:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 1-1/2 quart casserole or 8-inch glass baking dish.

2. Combine sugar, eggs, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in medium bowl; mix well. Add pumpkin and cream. Mix until well blended. Pour into prepared dish.
    3. Bake 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack at least 20 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, garnished with whipped cream.

Low-Carb: To reduce carbohydrate content, substitute Splenda no-calorie sugar substitute for sugar and follow directions as above.
    Individual Servings: For individual servings, pour custard mixture into 6 or 8 ramekins or custard cups. Place on a baking sheet. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

We use substitutions. For example, other milk for half-and-half. We vary the spices. It's a great recipe to "play around" with, especially if you LOVE pumpkin pie, without the crust!

I hope you enjoy!

Diane :)
  5. jkennedy

jkennedy Member

Thanks, Diane. It sounds great!