DemonFairy, If you are here.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BeansMom, Mar 22, 2009.

1. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

I have made it to Nevada...finally settled in here in Las Vegas. You had recommended a doctor to me late last month & I have his info. Is there anything additional I should know about him?
    I am currently taking Celexa and Tramadol for my Fibro. I was taking Cymbalta and really liked it, but my insurance at the time would not approve it for Fibro (even though the FDA has approved it for Fibro...go figure!) I switched to Lexapro and now to generic Celexa to save $$$. I'm not as impressed with it -but oh well.

I'm okay with the Tramadol - my rx is written as 6 tablets/day, but I usually go up to 8 - which is the max dose. I have been on it for a few years now and I think I have developed a tolerance b/c it is not as effective anymore for my pain.
    I also take Advil and Tylenol daily in some kind of attempt to feel better.
    Some days I am okay - but a lot of days I am in a lot of pain all over - especially before my menstrual cycle. Also, I have a couple of bulged discs and degenerative disc disease & spinal stenosis and lately, it feels a lot more painful. Nothing has helped - including Lidoderm patches.
    I feel like on those days I need something stronger for pain but I am hesitant to ask now b/c when I have asked in the past, I was told "no" that there was "no need" to get into narcotics and it was too dangerous, etc.. I am not an addictive person - I may have alcohol 2x/year!! I just want to be able to live my life and continue to work!

So, I guess my main question is how is this Doctor about pain medication? I don't know what I should take or what works best - I don't know much about narcotic medications..what is what, etc.. I know I've taken Demerol before for oral surgery and I hated it. It made me feel very irritable and restless - I wouldn't want something like that.

I'm just afraid to ask now b/c I've been turned down in the past and also I don't want to appear to be a drug abuser.
    Any advice?
  2. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

are you around?

anyone know how I can contact her - does this board/site have messaging?

3. nixon

nixon New Member

bumping for you.....
  4. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I'm soooo sorry. With all the family crud that's been going on, it's just wiped me out. Once I was done ranting about it, I was just completely wiped out after that. First, I'll see if I can figure out another way to contact you, but then I'll go through your questions and try to answer them.

Just as a quickie, to get it out of the way. I was moving to pain management after not healing as expected from my herniated disk surgery. I'd already started with Combunox with my back surgeon. I discovered that it was much much MUCH cheaper to get Oxycodone and to add my own Ibuprofen. That way, I could cut the costs AND limit the amount of extra junk going into my liver. So, I went to see the pain management doctor already taking opioids. However, he isn't afraid of prescribing pain medication. You'll have to sign a pain medication agreement, and once a year or so, you'll have a surprise drug test, which is no big deal when a doctor is helping you get the pain meds that you need, so you shouldn't need to add anything "extra".

Okay, more in a bit....
  5. BeansMom

BeansMom New Member

No problem - I understand being wiped out & "life" - ha! I hope you are doing well.

I'm on my short term insurance right now, as I just started a new job and won't get regular (more inclusive) insurance for another month or so.
    I'm on my last bottle of Tramadol and I'm getting nervous about running out of pain this point, it doesn't do much anyway, so I guess it doesn't matter, right?

Anyway - thanks for your help. I have no problem with the drug testing or medication agreement, so that should be no problem for me.
    I'm kind of worried b/c my back pain has gotten worse and my SI joint/hips sometimes are just intolerable. I'm thinking my hips/SI area might be arthritis or something...but I'm only 28!! Lidocaine patches help sometime, but not enough. I have tried the SI injections also with no maybe he can help me! I swear, if one more doctor offers a series of injections again, my head will blow off!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I'm getting less wiped out, I think. Well, I've cut a couple of pieces of the stress out of my life, and that's a good start.

I think you'll like Dr. Joe. From what you've written about what meds you've been on and what you think might help, I think you'll do just fine with him. He's really good about letting you have input into your own care, which is what I like about him.

(by the way, in case you need to ask me something off the board, I've updated my email address in my profile, so it now goes to an address that actually exists<g>)