Denial Is not just a River.. its a freaking Ocean

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by theycallmeLois, Apr 11, 2007.

1. theycallmeLois

theycallmeLois New Member

Did you personally ever go through a phase of denial after you were dx?
  2. Reidsbeads

Reidsbeads New Member

Some of us waited so long just for a real diagnosis when we got it we were thrilled only for a minute though. But at least now you know what your dealing with. Good luck and keep posting it helps to vent and get advice or just ask us for a joke. Tam :]
  3. Engel

Engel New Member

It took years for met to get a diagnosis. I guess there are worse things I could have. I am no spring chicken so I guess that is why I am not in denial? or I already did my time with denial over the past 20 years?
  4. jole

jole Member

Ouch~ you summed up my life completely! Yet, I still was in denial to the fact that nothing could be done to help me, and have spent years looking for the "answer".

Oh, to have a month of feeling like "normals" would be heaven, wouldn't it?? (But then I suppose this would be even harder to come back to.)

"Welcome to the world of the criminally inpain".....love it!![This Message was Edited on 04/12/2007]
  5. theycallmeLois

6. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i am like reids beads - it was 12 years till i finally got diagnosed properly w cfs.
  7. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I think we can go in and out of denial with this disease. Its hard to deal with and accept. I have had it 20 years and still see signs of denial in myself sometimes. Its a long journey and not for the faint of heart.
  8. debhun

debhun New Member

For some dumb reason I am in denial now. And I have had this for 18 + years. Why now? It seem I can't get the answer I want on the net. I read alot on here about any thing I can get my eyes on this DD. I think I have just lost my mine that must be the trouble.

Deb
  9. knitsnfits

knitsnfits New Member

When I got dx I actually broke down and cried but not from relief. I couldn't believe I could feel so sick and not actually be dying. When the doc said it was a syndrome that I had to learn to live with I was in disbeleif. I thought for sure he was wrong and wasted alot of time and money on other docs. Well, I'm still living 13 yrs later and it is hard but after a while you do get to the acceptance point. There is no choice but to take each day as it comes.
  10. theycallmeLois

Ever get soo ticked off at yourself for not being able to move or something like that? When my legs get tight or I get "Stuck" I get so ticked! I was able to do this a week ago and now I can.
  11. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

When the doctor told me I had FMS and I asked her what was it she told me to "go look it up on the internet" Which I did. My first reaction was that I was mad at the doctor (I never went back to her) then relief that there was a name to it as I was sick of being called a hypocondriact (sp) by my family. Until this day I have issues with being be believed when I tell someone about my health. Then I went through denial at what I thought I still could do phsically which ended up costing me alot of money, and took a heavy toll on me emotionally. Denial can have a major impact if not handled properly. Denial can change your life and the way you think you can live it. Denial is trying maintain a certain lifestyle when you really are not capable of doing so. Denial is not comming to terms with what life will be and still trying to live the life as you once did. I don't know if we ever get past the word denial as to do so we give up hope and I don't think we want to do so. Laurie
  12. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

When the doctor told me I had FMS and I asked her what was it she told me to "go look it up on the internet" Which I did. My first reaction was that I was mad at the doctor (I never went back to her) then relief that there was a name to it as I was sick of being called a hypocondriact (sp) by my family. Until this day I have issues with being be believed when I tell someone about my health. Then I went through denial at what I thought I still could do phsically which ended up costing me alot of money, and took a heavy toll on me emotionally. Denial can have a major impact if not handled properly. Denial can change your life and the way you think you can live it. Denial is trying maintain a certain lifestyle when you really are not capable of doing so. Denial is not comming to terms with what life will be and still trying to live the life as you once did. I don't know if we ever get past the word denial as to do so we give up hope and I don't think we want to do so. Laurie