Denied :o(

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by southstars_tat2s, Jul 19, 2003.

1. southstars_tat2s

southstars_tat2s New Member

Well...I kinda figured I would be...and I was denied yesterday for disability. The letter said they relized I can no longer do my past jobs due to Fibromyalgia, but due to my age and education(I am 37..I have high school education!) that I can find work somewhere. I am already working, under the table, but today the bossman put me on payroll so I can get taxes back at least this year.So far I can do this job...which I am thankful. Maybe if I get worse I will re-apply, but for now I will not appeal or do any more...I am so broke it is unreal...time to work at getting out the hole:eek:)
  2. sofy

sofy New Member

It is good you have a job and are able to do it. I believe if we can work we should cuz it is better for our spirit than living off our neighbors who are trying to raise 3 kids and paying way too high taxes.

I pray for your continued ability to do your job. Try and look at your life style and eliminate any stressors you can and live as simple a life as possible so the need for money isnt so consuming.

Lets us hope this was a blessing in disguise and that good things are coming your way.

3. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

Disability doesn't apply to your "own occupation" (the job you had when you became disabled). Or, LTD *does*, but only for 1 or 2 years. After that you have to be unable to do any job....

Another big factor in your (and my) case is our age. If they approved you now and you never got better, they'd have to pay you disability for 30 years. They don't want to do that.

Like Mikie said, appeal. I don't remember having to redo paperwork to appeal, but that was 4 years ago. The "good" news about being denied is that now you can get an attorney. If nothing else, you could call one and see what they say--one who specializes in disability, and preferrably one with experience with hidden disabilities.

And Sofy was right in saying that working is better for our spirit. Even doing data entry for 3 hours a week (which for my tech writer ego was a big comedown) did wonders for my self esteem.