Denied SSD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TeresaBnGA, Nov 29, 2002.

1. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all,
    I just got my denial letter in the mail yesterday. I guess I was expecting to be denied the first time. But one particular thing in the letter really upset me. They said that they feel like I am able to return to work at a job that I did over 16 years ago working in a textile mill.
    Another thing that upset me was several months ago while filling out some more paperwork for SSD I contacted an attorney from one of the other sites and asked if I should go ahead and hire an attorney then or wait. He told me to wait for my first decision from SSD. So I did. Then contacted him yesterday and told him about the letter and he said that I should have hired a lawyer when I filed!
    I mean, geez, I tried to and he told me to wait!! Sometimes I wonder if it is us or everyone else that is trying to make us think that we are crazy!
    I have several major illnesses plus fibromyalgia and am on a cocktail of meds and still got denied. Now this attorney tells me something totally different from what he initially told me! It is very frustrating!! But I guess we all have to hang in there!
    Thanks to all who have listened and understood!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa
  2. TeresaBnGA

TeresaBnGA New Member

Hi all,
    I just got my denial letter in the mail yesterday. I guess I was expecting to be denied the first time. But one particular thing in the letter really upset me. They said that they feel like I am able to return to work at a job that I did over 16 years ago working in a textile mill.
    Another thing that upset me was several months ago while filling out some more paperwork for SSD I contacted an attorney from one of the other sites and asked if I should go ahead and hire an attorney then or wait. He told me to wait for my first decision from SSD. So I did. Then contacted him yesterday and told him about the letter and he said that I should have hired a lawyer when I filed!
    I mean, geez, I tried to and he told me to wait!! Sometimes I wonder if it is us or everyone else that is trying to make us think that we are crazy!
    I have several major illnesses plus fibromyalgia and am on a cocktail of meds and still got denied. Now this attorney tells me something totally different from what he initially told me! It is very frustrating!! But I guess we all have to hang in there!
    Thanks to all who have listened and understood!
    Soft hugs!
    Teresa
  3. battyforbeanies

battyforbeanies New Member

Teresa, I just wanted to tell you not to give up. It took me until the hearing before the judge to finally get approved. I tried to hire an attorney after my first denial and my second one also. They kept giving me the run around. Like after the second turn down the lawyer I contacted told me to fill out all the paperwork for the hearing stage and then contact him. I was so confused, because the paper had places for an attorney to fill out if he was going to represent me and I couldn't even give them the name of an attorney because he wouldn't even give me an answer. I had my niece fill out the paperwork for me and she put down that she was going to represent me.
    When I got to the hearing and the judge found out I didn't have an attorney and that my niece was going to represent me she offered me an extension to find an attorney or she could ask the questions but she didn't think somebody who didn't know how the ss system worked could represent me sufficently. I didn't want to wait for the extension so I had the judge ask the questions. Like I said I finally got approved. I am not suggesting you go without an attorney, but just keep trying.
    Oh on my second denial they said I had 26 years of education. I had quit school after one semester of the ninth grade, but I had gotten my GED, But 26 years of education. I couldn't figure that one out.
    My prayers are with you,
    Vickie C.
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

like the post above...Don't give up!Ya know how many people are turned down and give up??Thats what they want!
    I was denied one time,and due to being out of work b/c of my illnesses-I was able to get a legal aid attorney free of charge.I went before the judge,answered all of his questions.....not alot either,I'd say the questioning for me only lasted like 5 minutes,maybe 10 at most.
    Everyone I know had to go thru this to get approved~(I've heard of very few on here that say they got it on the first try).So keep going for what you know you deserve!!If you say your unable to work due to your illness-Then damn it they need to see that and believe it!
    Wishing you alot of luck!!
    love,
    Tracey
  5. Bratnut

Bratnut New Member

Theresa,

I'm new here, but not to the SSDI run around. I have been denied twice and am waiting for the administrative judge hearing. My first denial was insane too! They said I was disabled for my what had been my last job (computer programmer/analyst), but could do my job from 13 years ago as a ..LETTER CARRIER!!! Yea, that's it.. I'll just go throwing around 50lbs regularly and hang a heavy sack over one shoulder and walk all day too! Let's just say that I almost went "postal" :). The second denial was although I was disabled for everything I had been trained for my education level certainly would allow me to do something therefore no period of disability could be established. HUH??? So now I get kicked in the butt for having had the benefit and blessing of a good education?? Don't they think I would use it if I could?? Working certainly beats the uncertainty of how to support my daughters and myself (I'm a single mom too).

Obviously, logic and reason have nothing to do with denial
    so hang in there. You're not alone.

Brat
  6. srosepetal77

srosepetal77 New Member

my friend is having problems too. send it in again ask for a administrative review .
  7. Bellesmom

Bellesmom New Member

ButI keep asking and no one ever answers - what do you do if you don't have any insurance coverage or enough money to find a doctor who will really back you??? We're not in debtor's prison but every cent we get goes to pay something and there's never anything left over for me to go to another doctor.

I have had FMS for over 2 years and can do little more than get up every day for a while. My "former life" (as all of yours) is a memory. I am 61 years old and have things to do.

Any suggestions? I am going to try for a reconsideration (I do not believe in using an attorney for this - have a great big reason). I am eligible for early Social Security in 5 more months but the principle of the thing is - I really can't work and had planned to work (I type at home, only 3-4 hours a week is all I can do now)until I was 65-68. If something happens to my old (75 years old) husband I will have no way to pick up and deliver my work. So, young or old, this thing takes us all down one way or the other.
  8. SouthernBelle

SouthernBelle New Member

Teresa,

I am so sorry you were denied. Please, please do not give up hope. I was shocked that I got approved on my first try. I certainly expected from everything I read here that I was sure to be denied and it depressed me. We need to be recognized as having a true disability on the list by SSD. I may have been approved based on my psychological state of mind. This is not right!! We may be depressed but it is the pain that makes us that way. I have written to both of my senators expressing my concern over SSA not recognizing Fibro and Chronic Fatigue as a debilitating illness. I won't give up the fight for the sake of every last one of us. Stay strong, keep hope alive and I will be praying for you.

Betts