Dental Implant vs bridge, problems? suggestions with FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by app5775, Feb 14, 2007.

1. app5775

app5775 New Member

Hi, as like the rest of us here it seems theres always something new affecting us one way or the other. Along with alot of other crap I'm dealing with I have a major tooth problem. Its quite infected and I'm on antibiotics at the moment. Of course that will flare up my yeast and fibro..... sheesh its always something. But anyway this tooth has been giving me problems for years. There have been fillings, two crowns a root canal less than two years ago and now the restoration has decayed leaving it pretty messed up and infected. This has all been an attempt to save the tooth but I'm now ready to yank the dang thing. So my dentist is sending me to an periodontist for evaluation. Most likely he'll discuss either a bridge or an implant. The implant is not covered at all by my insurance, the bridge is covered partially. Does anyone have opinions one way or the other, experiences etc. of an implant vs a bridge? I have lots of allergies and I'm concerned if one or the other has spawned any additional problems for anyone? The fact that I'm on antibiotics again isn't good since I become sensitive to them. I'm having a minor flare now with my FM/CFS after I was actually starting to feel better. So much for that until I get everything back under control...... hopefully.....Does it ever end? I guess we have to be glad we have medical options but I need to whine. Any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
  2. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

with a tooth two years back. I got it taken out but didn't bother with a bridge - too much trouble - or an implant - too expensive and liable to infect.

I now have another one that is going the same way - I will have no teeth left at this rate ...LOL

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Love Bunchy x
  3. app5775

app5775 New Member

I'm just curious which tooth you had problems with? This happens to be my lower molar and I don't know what it will be like if I have it pulled and leave it alone until I decide what to do with the darn thing. Seems Murhphy's law is always in my corner, if something will go wrong it sure will. An implant is so expensive without insurance. Bridges sound like they can be a pain in the butt. I've read where the teaching universities don't charge as much to do implants. I may see what the cost rates are and just have the tooth pulled in the meantime.
  4. Elisa

Elisa Member

Hi! I have had many many teeth problems too. I decided to get a dentist that could help with allergies/sensitivties. It seems they never heal - just stay chronically infected - especially the root canals. Dr Cheney speaks alot about this...Funny never had a cavity - straight to root canal.

The Internal Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology has biological dentists that are good with "special" patients -a consult could help you decide what to do - can't hurt. They even do testing for material biocompatibility - to increase chances that things will go smoothly.

http://www.iaomt.org/

I am seeing Dr Terrance Messerman in Beachwood, OH - to try to straighten my teeth problems out.

Good Luck!
    Elisabeth
    [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  5. Riomio

Riomio New Member

I've had 5 dental implants. Yes they are expensive and insurance doesn't cover the implants but does usually cover a percentage of the crowns. I have had fibro/cfs for close to 30 years and have had no problems with the implants. I had them done about 7 years ago and are wonderful and look and feel exactly like my natural teeth. Some dentists will offer a payment plan. I might have gone with a bridge but since I needed so many at one time and one was an eyetooth right in front it seemed like the best option. It takes about 4-6 months for the bone to grow around the new implant. Mine took 4 months. After that my regular dentist did the crowns as the implants were done by a Maxiofacial dentist. Surprisingly there was a minimum amount of pain right after the surgery. The implants are titanium and I'm not sure if they are hypo allergenic. I also have allergys and have had no problems. I've had problems with my teeth it seems like forever. My hubby says when I die he's going to save my head as it costs too much. [This Message was Edited on 02/14/2007]
  6. app5775

app5775 New Member

Thanks I will consider the Dr. in Ohio you mentioned. I'm tending to agree to pull it rather than take the chance of trying to save it again and having it get infected some more. I wonder how long they give to wait to have an implant after a tooth is pulled. It would allow me some time to price around before making my decision later. A bridge just sounds like more problems to me the more I learn about them. It would probably feel weird having a tooth out though. My lower teeth are crowded anyways maybe it will help that. I'm like the rest of you, lots of fillings, crowns and root canals. I had all my amalgam fillings removed some time ago and just have porcelein so yes its an expensive venture and annoying although insurance did help.
  7. beverly20024

beverly20024 New Member

I also have dental implants: 6 on the bottom right now. I recently broke a 4 tooth bridge on the upper right. All my teeth are root-canaled and very weak as a result.

I've decided to have all my upper teeth removed and replaced with 8 implants. I have had nothing but success with implants. I've had three absesses on root-canaled teeth, one of which on the upper right has NEVER healed.

I can't wait to remove that tooth. I can't wait to have that infection removed.

It's going to cost every penny we don't have, but my husband insists. He sees the pain and upset I go through with my teeth every day. Once I have the upper teeth replaced with implants, I will never have to worry about gum/tooth pain on the upper again.

I say implant. I have MCS and many severe allergies. I've never had a problem with a dental implant. You may experience some swelling and bruising after, but probably less pain than you expect.

If you take antibiotics before they remove the tooth root, they can sometimes even immediately place an implant. Once you remove the tooth root, the bone will regress and you'll have less bone to work with. It's best to insert the implant as soon as possible after removing the tooth.

I honestly don't think you'll regret it. Please feel free to ask questions any time.

Good luck with your decision. I feel for you, believe me!

Take care,
    Bev
  8. app5775

app5775 New Member

Thanks for the answers. I'm getting that tooth pulled Monday morning. I just called around today and decided to get it out. I'll take some time to find out where I'll have an implant done in the coming weeks. I've searched on the net and discoverd that "teaching dental hospitals" do implants much cheaper than regular periodontists. Since my insurance doesn't cover implants I'm thinking the closet ones to me are Case Western near Cleveland or OSU in Columbus. I'll call them next week but I just want the #%$& blasted thing out for now and get over the infection soon. For me any infection drags me down so much with my fibro. Hopefully it will be soon and I'll get the implant.